4V71 Denning

Discussions regarding bus to motorhome conversions are welcome here.
Kappy

4V71 Denning

Post by Kappy »

Hi Guys

Gonna have a look at a 36 foot 76 Denning motorhome with a 4V71 and a 5 speed Eaton gearbox.

Now I have never heard of this type on engine. and wonder if the power will be a little on the low side.

The owner claims economy of about 3.4km/l with a average of 3.1km/l

By photos this seems well presented with raised roof etc, set up for 2 ......there is only me and my dog... will I be likely peeved off with the lack of power etc.....

Any experience with this type of rig will be very welcome.

Cheers
Kappy
Still looking and keeping an open mind....
ax8

Re: 4V71 Denning

Post by ax8 »

I haven't heard of a 4V71 but it may be a 4-71 inline 4 instead of a V. Most likely would be a little underpowered.
Kappy

Post by Kappy »

Yes my mistake 4-71, I gues it won't hurt to have a look, probably why it hasn't sold in spite of it looking quite alright.

Cheers
Kappy
ax8

Post by ax8 »

Have a look at as many as you can, take them for a run and it should give you a better idea of what you like and don't like.
There are heaps for sale so take your time.
Kappy

Post by Kappy »

Thanks ax8

In quite a short time I've adjusted my ideals.

Definitely shifted from a a tag axle rig and a 40 footer.

These present issues of over length and weight issues and legalities in WA anyway, so just have to stay under 19 metres.

The trailer I'll be towing is overall close to 8 metres.

While this rig may be under powered compared to say 6V92 I won't be in any hurry to get anywhere.

Just keep an open mind.

Cheers
Kappy

Post by Kappy »

Hi Guys

Took the bus for a test drive today.

As a an RV very well appointed.

The issue of power could be a non event the current owner drove 1st and he disply quite some prowess in getting this girl to move well and drove the eaton box almost like an automatic.

I took the girl up Greenmount Hill for those not in WA is the road east out of WA and quite a steep hill.

I dropped back to 4ok's a couple of time, but due to my sloppy gear changes. I don't see lack of power being and issue, once I get used to her.

I discovered the rig is actually and Albion/Leyland but then I guess all Dennings appear to be Leyland..

I'm told that a 6V92 can bolt onto the gearbox and there is enough room.

The main issue I found was the Armstrong power steering and there appears to be a little extra play in the steering at the steering wheel, don't feel anything actually wrong with steering per say.

Can anyone advise on possible power steering options and or adjustment.

Cheers
Kappy.

s, maybe age or adjustment.The main issue I found was the Armstrong power steering.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

If it is performing that well with the current engine/transmission, I am wondering if it has a low speed diff?

What sort of top speed did you get out of it? Being limited to 80 k might get a bit tedious, even if you plan on taking it slow.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Kappy

Post by Kappy »

We got to a comfortable 90km/h in a 100 zone

The owner admitted there is a little lag from 4th to 5th to get to 100k.

He had considered a putting in a 10 speed that 1/2 split could may the transition from 90 to 100 a little quicker.

But 90 was achieved quite easily away from hills.

More considered about steering play, not un roadworthy just distracting for me.
bagmaker

Post by bagmaker »

Steering play would probably be unroadworthy and points to worn rod ends, linkages or some other issue.
90k is pretty cool for a cruising speed provided it will actually hit the ton given the chance. You would probably only push it that hard on a highway when holding up traffic.
ax8

Post by ax8 »

Speed wise it sounds as good as you can expect, my bus hates hills.

Steering wise, it may need some new bushes etc and i would think not to hard to add power steering, some thing to look into I guess.

It could be a good reason for a decent price negotiation.

Return to “Bus to motorhome discussions”