• Advertisement

1988 Mercedes Benz OC1621

Discussions regarding bus to motorhome conversions are welcome here.

1988 Mercedes Benz OC1621

Postby Kappy » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:01 pm

I posted a reply in the new user area but it seemed to disappear into cyber space.

Initially I was hell bent on a tag axle, but know I'm leaning towards a single axle Mercedes, ex school bus and as such doesn't have vehicle A/c as standard only 240v House A/c.

So for travelling in hotter climates and hot days is there a way of running split system A/C or is there an affordable way of retro fitting an A/C.

I have a 4.5 tonne trailer lined up that I can modify for extra storage that the school bus misses.
Cheers
Kappy
Kappy

Re: 1988 Mercedes Benz OC1621

Postby bagmaker » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:35 am

Hi Kappy,
Split systems can be fitted quite easily, just need to find a good spot for the compressor (outside) bit. The modern, quality inverter types only use a few hundred watts when running, your bus alternator could probably just do it through a 240V inverter. Solar input would help greatly....
Certainly tag axle is not required for typical motorhome use, the complexity and tyre costs give no benefit at the weights we run.
bagmaker

Postby ax8 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:19 pm

Sounds like a good idea. I would have liked a tag axle coach with storage bins underneath but the fuel economy for most of them wasn't good.
I went with a single axle, Isuzu powered bus, 11.5m long, plenty of room, excellent fuel economy and it will do 100kph no problem.
Lots of people have fitted split system AC's in motorhome's and some even run them off batteries.
I am fitting an AC system off an excavator which runs off the engine just like a cars AC, it's a 5kw system, it will run when we are driving if needed and we will have split system for when we are parked up again only if needed as the bus will have good ventilation and has insulation paint on the roof and tinted windows which made a huge difference to the internal temperature, just another way of doing things.
ax8

Postby Kappy » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:41 am

Thanks guys.

I can now also the benefit of a single axle.

The one I got my eye on has a 2000w inverter and 4 X 1400 CCA Caterpillar maintenance free batteries fitted with redarc voltage sensing isolator as start and house batteries.

At the front is a split system and a roof mount in the back.

I'm still trying to get my head around what a redarc does, I see it pop up a bit in my research.

I don't know the size of the front split, but as it was professional fit out I guess the right size was fitted.

So I wondering if the inverter would run the A/C occasionally while driving, I guess the batteries would be being charged at the same.

I have a reasonable mechanical mind, but a little fuzzing on electrics, so I'm here for guidance.

If I buy this sucker I gotta drive in the heat for quite a lot of K's.
Kappy

Postby rustbucket » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:05 am

40 amps at 24 v is a good figure that your inverter will require to power the aircon, some slightly higher/lower but not by much, double for 12 v system.i.e. 80 amps, serious wiring needed.
If they are not deep cycle batteries the house side will not last long.
Don't run you alternator at more than 75% of capacity, unless it is a DN50, they tend to get too hot when run over that for long periods
Depending on the alternator, can be done, far better blended with some solar though.
We run 8 thermatics and an aircon off solar, but them we have 90 amps @ 24v coming in. thats from 3Kw of solar.
Roof mount aircons are wat inefficient, compared to splits
rustbucket

Postby Kappy » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:34 am

Thanks Rust Bucket,

I physically haven't looked at this bus as yet, its a bit of journey that requires planning, so not sure what alternator this bus is running.

As its a mid engine probably only need half the wiring.

Just have the basic information at this stage.

I will be fitting a solar system should I buy it, so will be seeking guidance of what is the best system to keep me powered of the grid for long periods,retailers are probably more interested in what they can fleece of me , me thinks.

Cheers
Kappy
Kappy

• Advertisement

Return to Bus to motorhome discussions