Carpet on roof

Discussions regarding bus to motorhome conversions are welcome here.
Leah

Carpet on roof

Post by Leah »

Hi, we have just purchased a 1991 Volvo B10M that we will convert to a motorhome for us and our 4 kids. It has maroon auto type carpet on the roof at the front and covering most of the ceiling (except of a strip of white uncovered ceiling down the middle). I think it is ugly - has anyone removed the carpet or dyed it? Once I start there is no going back so I thought I should ask for advice first. Thanks
ax8

Re: Carpet on roof

Post by ax8 »

Getting the carpet off is the easy part, the old glue will be a lot harder to remove.
kelvin12
Favourite Vehicle: Austral, King of the Outback

Post by kelvin12 »

Ditto the above. Real chore to do. Its contact cement, so needs a heat gun to soften it and use plastic scrapers to remove it as it softens. Then turps and lots of elbow grease.

Dirk
Leah

Post by Leah »

Thanks for your responses. Do you think I could remove the carpet and then put a new one over the top without removing the glue?
bagmaker

Post by bagmaker »

no, you need to remove the glue first. I have done it to our Volvo, 1987 model -used http://www.bunnings.com.au/diggers-1l-g ... _p1560457/
Its not cheap but does it OK. Messy woking on the ceiling, do it about a square metre at a time for best results.
Leah

Post by Leah »

Were you glad you did it? Did you then paint the roof or put more carpet on? Thanks for your help
bagmaker

Post by bagmaker »

Leah wrote:Were you glad you did it? Did you then paint the roof or put more carpet on? Thanks for your help
Absolutely glad I did it, the existing ceilings were clad with a two-tone black carpet that had a million km of dust and dirt in it. The style was "dated" but I accept that is personal choice.
I am still tossing around what to put on the ceilings (2 -double decker) I am going down the paint road downstairs and a foam sheet http://www.mitchellgroup.com.au/product ... oam-colour for a bit more insulation up top. I may go foam on both, the lower one will require a lot of bog to get it even enough.
The upstairs already had a hard surface fitted which I liked but after removing the air-con ducting there was too much spacing and mis-match so the whole thing needs a single style. Great to not have the ducting though, so much roomier.
qbb469

Post by qbb469 »

How do you go with dust and mould with carpet on the roof?
kelvin12
Favourite Vehicle: Austral, King of the Outback

Post by kelvin12 »

Go with foam if you can manage it. The heat that comes down from the steel is unbelievable. Go with at least 50mm and really take the time to fit it snug as possible. No nails or something like that holds it in place.

Dirk.
John&Andrea

Post by John&Andrea »

Hi, when I purchased my Volvo bus the previous owner had put foam on the roof then glued floor tiles on that .
then surprisingly plastered over the squares, strangely it has worked very well he then finished it off useing plastic paint,
I have just repainted the roof a different colour.
The up side of this is it is well insolated against all weather conditions but the big draw back is, I was going to put in air vent on the roof but cutting the hole in the carpet squares was a nightmare but knowing the work involved in removing the roof lining I found it was going to be more trouble than what it was worth.

John

Return to “Bus to motorhome discussions”