Motorhome 40ft, which chassis best

Discussions regarding bus to motorhome conversions are welcome here.
40ftMotorhome

Motorhome 40ft, which chassis best

Post by 40ftMotorhome »

Hello, i noticed i probably should have listed my question in this area, not General Transport Discussion, but if you can help out, please comment, my original post was
Hello , i am thinking of buying a 40ft 3 axle bus as a base for a motorhome, i am looking at a couple of Austral Tourmasters 1987, 1988 and a Motorcoach 1990 at the moment, does anyone have any help they can offer as to, Ride / handeling, ease of servicing, general good things and bad about these models, 1 think i like is the rear radiator on the MotorCoach, gives good access to engine from sides and has opening doors on wheel area except passenger front, so very easy access for maintenance and doing mods for lifting jacks.
I was also going to install levelling jacks to chasis, is one bus better than the other for this?? and finally is the Motorcoach based on the Austral or Denning chasis design? :)
kelvin12
Favourite Vehicle: Austral, King of the Outback

Re: Motorhome 40ft, which chassis best

Post by kelvin12 »

Whatever one you choose is going to be a money pit. Speaking from experience here....Lol. I enjoyed the build but it certainly isn't something I would recommend if you weren't handy with a welder and can do you own wood work and painting etc. Building up a motor home is a real chore to say the least but if you keen, then go for it.

Austral and Denning used the Detroit 6V92ta engines. Certainly not a power house when it comes to any sort of hill climb and I am a little disappointed in the power but as someone else told me sit back and enjoy the scenery.

Good luck with your build.

Dirk
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

Here's the other post on this topic:

http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... =2&t=81421
qbb469

Post by qbb469 »

Have you considered a 2 axle volvo b10m? With a trailer it should meet your requirements.
$ wise I wouldn't expect there to be much difference overall between the 3 axle coach and 2 axle bus + trailer.
The bus trailer combo has the advantage of staged building rather than all in one project.

Ex bcc volvo's can be obtained reasonably cheaply.

Return to “Bus to motorhome discussions”