• Advertisement

Vertical Exhaust

Discussions regarding bus to motorhome conversions are welcome here.

Vertical Exhaust

Postby csrbd » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:28 pm

Hi all. Does anyone have any ideas how I can cool down the vertical part of my exhaust system on my motorhome conversion? It runs up inside flue/stovepipe (approximately 1.5metres with a gap of 10mm all around) within the back inside corner of vehicle. At the moment is has a rain flapper on the top, but I'm thinking that maybe that restricts the exhaust gases exiting the pipe causing additional heat. Can anyone advise? Cheers
csrbd

Re: Vertical Exhaust

Postby boronia » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:39 pm

As long as the flapper moves freely, it shouldn't restrict exhhaust gas flow.

If it has a counterbalanced pivot, maake sure it provides just enough weight to keep the flap in the down position.

10 mm is not a lot of clearnce, so make sure this part of the flue does not have any blockages or obstructions.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2020
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Postby rustbucket » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:41 pm

We fitted one to VP but made sure there was plenty of room around the box we built around the 5" pipe. Open mitred end with a close fitting stainless plate at the rear which does not allow much flow of air up around the pipe itself. We did pack the sides with very good fibreglass insulation they wrap exhausts on patrol boats with and that seems to have helped, can't feel any extra heat in the bedroom, at least no more than from the Detroit under the wardrobe floor.
I have seen several fires caused by poorly fitted vertical stacks, that's why we did take a lot of trouble with it.
I don't think the flappers are necessary myself, if standing for a long time a 1/8 hole right at the bottom bend will keep it drained, take the Brisbane floods to fill the motor via the exhaust without the flapper. Why not just tie it open and see if that makes any difference, but I would doubt it ?

William
rustbucket

Postby bagmaker » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:59 pm

Why not ditch it and run the exhaust out the rear?
Vertical exhaust is no longer a legal requirement -although the blurb is still incorrectly left on some websites, including Vicroads.
bagmaker

Postby csrbd » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:17 am

Thanks all for the advice. Bagmaker can you absolutely confirm that is no longer a legal requirement to have a vertical stack, only when I had mine engineered in Bendigo he was adamant that it had to be so?!
csrbd

Postby boronia » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:41 pm

IIRC the vertical exhaust was only a requirement in NSW, and was only required on vehicles which didn't meet some exhaust emission standard.
On again June 2020
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Postby bagmaker » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:40 pm

csrbd wrote:Thanks all for the advice. Bagmaker can you absolutely confirm that is no longer a legal requirement to have a vertical stack, only when I had mine engineered in Bendigo he was adamant that it had to be so?!

sure, see link- also confirmed by local HV inspector/mechanic.
@Boronia, it was a requirement in Victoria as well.

http://www.byles.net/www.oka4wd.com/medi...lletin.pdf

Cheers
bagmaker

Postby boronia » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:25 pm

I have vivid memories from back in the 90s of Sita's coaches working here in Sydney belching black smoke out of their low level GM exhausts.
On again June 2020
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Postby csrbd » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:47 am

I'm still puzzled. Correct me if I'm wrong but if you look at Vicroads VASS Conversion of Vehicles to
Motor Homes 5. I believe that is still current, it requires the exhaust to be vertical.
csrbd

Postby boronia » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:00 am

The usual scenario is that vehicles have to continue complying with standards that applied when they were first registered. They should not need to be altered to later standards, nor should they be downgraded to earlier standards.
On again June 2020
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Postby bagmaker » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:28 pm

csrbd wrote:I'm still puzzled. Correct me if I'm wrong but if you look at Vicroads VASS Conversion of Vehicles to
Motor Homes 5. I believe that is still current, it requires the exhaust to be vertical.

Yes the information on the website is incorrect. I am told there is other stuff relating to conversions that is outdated also but I am unsure which.
In NSW (at least) there is some changes about steps and bi-fold doors, again, I have no links sorry.
Worse, many of the nuffies at vicroads sitting behind the counters do not know either.
re- changes, dont go spending any big $ without triple checking

Cheers, Bags
bagmaker

Postby mrobsessed » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:01 pm

boronia wrote:I have vivid memories from back in the 90s of Sita's coaches working here in Sydney belching black smoke out of their low level GM exhausts.

That was probably me, lol.
mrobsessed

Favourite Vehicle: AEC Reliance

• Advertisement

Return to Bus to motorhome discussions