• Advertisement

Ex PTV M.A.N. questions

Discussions regarding bus to motorhome conversions are welcome here.

Ex PTV M.A.N. questions

Postby Boff » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:18 pm

Im still looking around for a Bus project but as I had recently moved and will move again in the next 3 months I am holding off on a purchase.

Probably a good thing as my Wife now wants me to teach her to drive a bus so she can drive as well as get a Heavy Rigid license eventually but she has asked we buy an Auto bus so there goes MY fun.

Initially im going to resto the bus body and mechanicals and keep the Bus AS a Bus not a Motorhome and back when I was a Track bus driver I remember the PTV MAN's to be a fairly simple and solid performer.

Id never really looked at them seriously being focused on B58 and B10 Volvo's but more info from some of the great and guru Members here have swung me towards the early MAN units.

Im seeing a few for sale after being buggered about with which isnt really what im seeking but the reliability and common problems research stage is where im now at research wise.

The Renk 3 speeds seem solid and simple enough, engine and trans parts available but what issues am i likely to face?

I have an excellent almost Guru like Diesel mechanic with Bus experience who is a good mate and he is happy to work on the bus with me for a steady supply of Tea and bikkies for nostalgia's sake and im now looking at buying something before Christmas to be on the road early next year.

It will remain a fully seated Bus and when we want to go touring I will remove some seats and set it up for touring to be returned as a Bus when the touring is done although the seat config wont be original.

Weird I know.

SO! Can I pick your brains on what issues and specs these PTV MANs came in and common dramas.

Cheers,
Tony
Boff

Favourite Vehicle: MCI MC7 and early Denning's

Re: Ex PTV M.A.N. questions

Postby B7RLE » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:23 pm

If you are talking about a MAN SL200 Mk1 or Mk2 FORGET IT! I would stick with a Volvo B10, Give Sita coaches a call they usually have a few kicking around to sell.

PM if you need more help
Proud Owner of a Volvo B10M mk 2 Volgren and a Scania L113CRB Volgren
B7RLE

Favourite Vehicle: VOLVO B7RLE

Postby Boff » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:22 pm

B7RLE wrote:If you are talking about a MAN SL200 Mk1 or Mk2 FORGET IT! I would stick with a Volvo B10, Give Sita coaches a call they usually have a few kicking around to sell.

PM if you need more help

Had a look at a few Ex Sita B10M,s with and without the ZF Auto im used to and the quality varied a fair bit although the PMC bodies ones seemed to have stood the 30 years of service better than the Volgren bodys.

What swayed me to the SL200 was the rear engine and the engine internals etc being MB and a few people I have spoken to who have them seem happy.

Im not looking for a highway screamer although fiddling with ratios is always a possability if the Auto is in good nick.

Im curious why the MANs have the rep they do though as there were 100's of the buggers in service when I was driving B10's and B58's on track.

The disqualifier for me would be chassis issues but im happy to spend time and some money getting the mechanicals right.
Boff

Postby B7RLE » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:32 pm

The problem the Mk1 and Mk2s is the body, I own a Volvo B10M MK2 Volgren and the body, Chassis and engine are perfect apart from cosmetic things(paint chips etc)
Proud Owner of a Volvo B10M mk 2 Volgren and a Scania L113CRB Volgren
B7RLE

Favourite Vehicle: VOLVO B7RLE

Postby Boff » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:14 pm

Panel Rust doesn't scare me and to clarify it'd be a Mk I SL200 id prefer.
Boff

Postby Simes » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:23 pm

If you get one as a keeper - I'd be inclined to ditch the Renk transmission, they cannot be rebuilt - Transdev here (when they were just transdev - pre merger with Veolia) went to the trouble of changing out all their MAN 16.240's with this transmission in favour of ZF's and I do know that Ventura down there went to the trouble of purchasing Merc W3D080 transmissions from mkIV O305's that the STA were busily scrapping a few years ago for some mk2 SL200's apparently made them a better bus
http://19302413.blogspot.com/

3092, last bus on George Street - 23rd October 2015 7:50pm
Simes

Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Postby PoweredByCNG » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:59 am

We have a nickname for Renk gearboxes - 'Rank' - and for very good reason. There's no way that you'll EVER find documentation for them, and best of luck finding someone that knows anything about them, let alone anyone that you can trust to rebuild one. Horrible gearboxes!

Some operators have fitted (notoriously fragile) Mercedes-Benz W 3 D 080R gearboxes to their MANs so that's saying something...
Proud owner of ex-Transperth 1042 and ex-Transperth 1114.
PoweredByCNG

Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O 405

Postby Guy_Arab » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:45 am

PoweredByCNG wrote:We have a nickname for Renk gearboxes - 'Rank' - and for very good reason. There's no way that you'll EVER find documentation for them, and best of luck finding someone that knows anything about them, let alone anyone that you can trust to rebuild one. Horrible gearboxes!

Some operators have fitted (notoriously fragile) Mercedes-Benz W 3 D 080R gearboxes to their MANs so that's saying something...

That not quite true I have a gearbox manual which I help members with my problem as it is German I have translate the important pages helping those in trouble
Guy Arab
Guy_Arab

Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N Bus & Guy Arab

Postby Boff » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:25 am

Spoke to Guy Arab briefly on the phone a few weeks ago and he does indeed have manuals!

Im off to have a look at an 0305 today if the owner answers his phone and will probably buy that in the interim, this 0305 has a side desto box, curved windscreen and twin headlights and common enough to be IMO a safe entry into modern bus ownership.

Sadly it has no seats and a bad paint job but its a runner.

So for now it seems im chasing info and suggestions on the 0305!
Boff

Postby man mk1 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:56 pm

if u contact brookes party tours man mk1 is 3000
man mk1

Postby Maladjusted » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:14 pm

Guy_Arab, Do you want a copy of both the english version Renk service and operation manuals?
Who bleedin thanked me? I was just doin my job
Maladjusted

Postby Guy_Arab » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:21 pm

Maladjusted wrote:Guy_Arab, Do you want a copy of both the english version Renk service and operation manuals?

Thanks all the same I have translate my German manual Not many enquire for them
Guy Arab
Guy_Arab

Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N Bus & Guy Arab

• Advertisement

Return to Bus to motorhome discussions