• Advertisement

Merc 305, no gears and no starting

Discussions regarding bus to motorhome conversions are welcome here.

Merc 305, no gears and no starting

Postby Wildcatracing » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:05 am

Hi all, we got stranded last weekend in our 305 bus (Renk 3 stage auto). I noticed that the auto would not immediately go back into top gear after shifting up from 2nd. (It has never done that before). Anyway, when we got to our destination I couldnt get it to go in reverse (it felt like a detent problem with the shifter but thats electronic). I put it in neutral and shut the engine down. Then I couldnt start it at all. Managed to start it by shorting the starter solenoid but no gears, kept playing a it went into drive so I tried to get home. Got partway home and the engine died due to air in the fuel. Fixed that and started it by shorting the starter but no gears. Managed to disconnect the stepper motor from the trans selector and manually moved it to drive and got home. I have pulled the stepper motor assembly out and it looks perfect inside but I noticed quite a lot of crap in some of the connectors in the loom to the motor. Could crappy connections cause this issue? has anyone had a similar issue? Is the starter inhibit switch part of the shifter assembly? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Graham
Wildcatracing

Re: Merc 305, no gears and no starting

Postby Wildcatracing » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:11 am

i can now answer my own questions, YES the stepper motor can cause these issues, I stripped it down and the motor itself is shagged. Hopefully I can get new brushes fitted to it
Wildcatracing

Postby Boff » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:06 am

Appreciate you taking the time to come back and conclude the discussion with an answer Graham, Hope you get it sorted.
Boff

Favourite Vehicle: MCI MC7 and early Denning's

Postby Simes » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:19 pm

it's a Merc O305, with a Renk transmission :shock: :?:
http://19302413.blogspot.com/

3092, last bus on George Street - 23rd October 2015 7:50pm
Simes

Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Postby Wildcatracing » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:17 am

yes it is, the electric shifter unit has a stuffed contact in it and cant be repaired.
Wildcatracing

Postby rustbucket » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:52 am

I converted an AEC ex sydney bus about 40 years ago that had one of those air assisted gearshift changers.
An electricity linesman gave me a hand (didn't know JS about electrickery in those days) and he opened up this huge box full of relays and other bits and pieces that the gearshift wires ran to (from there to gearbox).
After looking at it for days scratching his head he came to the conclusion that none of it was necessary so simply bypassed the whole lot and wire the little shift lever to the gearbox.
Did a lot of miles in that bus, gears were never a problem.
Moral of the story, think beyond the box.

Rustbucket
rustbucket

Postby Wildcatracing » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:37 am

guess what, thats what I did ! I had an old shifter out of a race car so installed that with a 12 metre cable and job done. Not sure if its legal as theres no reverse switch on it as I am using the original stick to drive that. Also ran a wire direct to the starter so theres no inhibit switches to fail. It would be nice to have the original fixed but at least we are mobile again. Cheers
Wildcatracing

• Advertisement

Return to Bus to motorhome discussions