Awning

Discussions regarding bus to motorhome conversions are welcome here.
csrbd

Awning

Post by csrbd »

Hi Has anyone installed an exterior pull-out awning for their bus motorhome? Can you recommend a particular brand suitable for a bus with slightly curved sides.
Thanks in advance.
kelvin12
Favourite Vehicle: Austral, King of the Outback

Re: Awning

Post by kelvin12 »

Watch you overall width. RMS are deadly on excess overhangs. More than good luck than management I followed the old bus framing when I did the complete reframe and it allowed me to fit the awning, (Fiama 4.5). I was close to maximum width, 15mm. Have heard rumors the RMS will make you remove it then and there in there road side checking areas. No direct experience of this personally but wouldn't be surprised at all.

Dirk
csrbd

Post by csrbd »

Thanks for that Dirk. Would you be able to send me a pic of your awning on your rig. I reckon I may be close to od.
kelvin12
Favourite Vehicle: Austral, King of the Outback

Post by kelvin12 »

Here is my awning. Its on an Austral Tourmaster and mounted up high. I extended the roof line using the shape of the fibreglass air conditioner pod up back as the roof raise part of the build. Sort of like a roof raise when you not having a roof raise..... Australs taper 50 per side up front so had to block it out to keep it straight along the body line. Also added a rubber seal to stop the water running down the side. Awning and rubber seal was from Caravans Plus, http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/index.php Haven't seen the seal advertised elsewhere. Bugger to put on but stopped the water at least.

Dirk
Attachments
024 (Small).JPG
024 (Small).JPG (114.08 KiB) Viewed 5228 times
csrbd

Post by csrbd »

Looking good Dirk. I think I'll be using that type- very neat.Cheers

Return to “Bus to motorhome discussions”