Auto conversion

Discussions regarding bus to motorhome conversions are welcome here.
Ozfisho

Auto conversion

Post by Ozfisho »

Hello all, newby here and looking to get a question sorted. I'm thinking of purchasing a Silver Eagle 05 that has already been turned into a motorhome. It has the 8V71 motor tied to a 4 speed crunch box. I can access a Allison HT740 auto for it but was wondering is this is straight forward conversion or can it get bigger than Ben Hurr.

Regards
Dale
Busselton
Last edited by Ozfisho on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B7RLE
Favourite Vehicle: VOLVO B7RLE

Re: Auto conversion

Post by B7RLE »

I'm not to sure about these two in particular but they can get quiet big in general terms
Proud Owner of a Volvo B10M mk 2 Volgren and a Scania L113CRB Volgren
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Which way is the engine mounted?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Ozfisho

Post by Ozfisho »

Well to be quite honest, I haven't got a clue.
Cheers
Dale
kelvin12
Favourite Vehicle: Austral, King of the Outback

Post by kelvin12 »

I am not familiar with Eagles and how the motor is situated, but not a hard conversion generally but you need to check a few things first. Check the diff ratio if its suitable for a transplant, can't blame you getting rid of the old crash box. I changed to a HT750 DR replacing the 6 speed spicer when I changed the my motor, (6V92). My bus is an Austral with the motor front to rear set up. You will need a substantial transmission cooler for starters, plus all the associated piping, big and expensive unless you can pick up with the transmission. Coolers are reasonably expensive and do take up some room especially if the transmission is a retarder type, then its a huge cooler and really expensive as retarders generate a lot of heat and the heat needs to be cooled for the transmission oil, Jake brakes are a better option. Assuming you bus is a a normal front to rear motor, (north south as opposed to a cross mounted motor) then the tail shaft will need to be shortened. Plus a manual 'T' bar shifter rather than one of the electronic shifters. To check the end road speed here is a site, you need to put in tyre size and final transmission ratio and tyre size PLUS the diff ratio you now have fitted to give you some guide of the final road speed the vehicle would be capable of. http://www.roadranger.com/ecm/groups/pu ... 062746.swf You could always change the diff ratio of course if you still want to go this direction. You might find depending on the diff fitted now that's its a bit slow. Mine luckily was quite high and should give me a good top end road speed.

Before you go much further you need to find out how the motor is sitting in the chassis. Most American busses were fitted east west, (across the chassis, sideways). Still its not the end of the deal but a lot more complicated.

Welcome to the bus conversion nightmare....

Happy to talk about this if you like.

Dirk
Ozfisho

Post by Ozfisho »

Thanks for that Dirk, the reason I thought it could be a good thing was that some of these Silver Eagles have the auto as standard. The tranny I was looking at comes with oil cooler and fans and a Morse shifter. I'd have to look further into what piping was included as the tranny comes out of a fire tender and only has 20k kilometers, so it looks like it may be a good thing, but obviously it will need to be an easy change out. I haven't got the motorhome yet, that could happen in the next month or so.
Cheers & Happy 2014.
Dale
Doc68
Favourite Vehicle: Technics sl1200

Post by Doc68 »

kelvin12 wrote:can't blame you getting rid of the old crash box. I changed to a HT750 DR replacing the 6 speed spicer when I changed the my motor, (6V92).Dirk

:shock: :shock: :shock: wash your mouth out sir best part of these old girls is the 6 & 7 speed stirrers :evil: :evil:
'GM 2strokes, still the most efficient engine ever developed for converting fuel into noise'.
Food has replaced sex in my life now I can't even get into my own pants
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Ozfisho wrote:Thanks for that Dirk, the reason I thought it could be a good thing was that some of these Silver Eagles have the auto as standard. The tranny I was looking at comes with oil cooler and fans and a Morse shifter. I'd have to look further into what piping was included as the tranny comes out of a fire tender and only has 20k kilometers, so it looks like it may be a good thing, but obviously it will need to be an easy change out. I haven't got the motorhome yet, that could happen in the next month or so.
Cheers & Happy 2014.
Dale
If it has an "east-west" engine, you probably won't be able to just put a standard tranny on the end.

The manual box in the GM PD4106-7 had a right angle drive down to the diff. There was an auto available for them in the US, but I'm not sure how it was configured. Murrays converted a couple using 2nd hand units bought in for the job.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
ax8

Post by ax8 »

There was an eagle for sale that had a 8v71 and a 740 auto in it, so it can be done.
http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automotiv ... P005381588

You could always call them and ask if they had the conversion done.
Looking around on the net, seems to be a few Eagles with a 8v71 and a HT740.
You would think it would be a straight forward swap, considering how many have that combination.
kelvin12
Favourite Vehicle: Austral, King of the Outback

Post by kelvin12 »

G'Day Dale,

Very popular box in the US so plenty of information available on their forums. Wouldn't bother with the Eagle forum though seems to be in self destruct mode and run by idiots. As Boronia said the east west engine set up was an angle drive to the diff so not sure if its a different transmission housing or not, something you will need to look into. To set you on the right track you could make some inquiries here, http://www.dal-trans.com.au/ They went out of their way to help me with my conversion. Speak to Mark in spare parts, tell him he was highly recommended, probably won't remember me personally though.

You have all the right gear to go with the box so that's a huge plus.

Dirk

Return to “Bus to motorhome discussions”