Insulation

Discussions regarding bus to motorhome conversions are welcome here.
csrbd

Insulation

Post by csrbd »

Is there a tried and tested product for insulating walls in a motorhome? According to previous discussions here,pink batts are a no no!! I have heard that polystyrene sheets with an air-gap are the go. Suggestions anyone!!!??
ax8

Re: Insulation

Post by ax8 »

I have seen alot of people use polystyrene and i've seen some use aircell so I decided on aircell doubled up in the walls.

As you have probably heard pink batts or similar tend to hold water so it will cause corrosion in that area, my bus had fibreglass insulation in 2 small areas and that was where the main rust in the frame was.

Also Barrier shield paint from Australian paints on the roof and just last week tinted the remaining windows in the bus with 15% tint, both products made a big difference in inside temp.
kelvin12
Favourite Vehicle: Austral, King of the Outback

Re: Insulation

Post by kelvin12 »

Air cell is supposed to allow condensation to accumulate in the ceiling, only something I was told not experienced it myself but according to the bloke I bought the insulation from the local bus builders had stopped using it for that reason. . I used 50mm styrene in the walls, excellent to work with and easy, as long as you use a sharp knife, and thermal blanket in the ceiling, the stuff with the silver foil on the undersides. Bugger of a stuff as it kept falling out when fitting the ceiling sheets. Had my way again would have gone with styrene all round.

Dirk

Return to “Bus to motorhome discussions”