Im A Sucker For Punishment

Discussions regarding bus to motorhome conversions are welcome here.
dropbear68

Im A Sucker For Punishment

Post by dropbear68 »

As my wife and myself are avid horse owners and we follow the show scene around the traps we were talking about towing the float behind the bus, I was kicking around some ideas with the wife and come up with the idea of turning the arse end of a bus into a float, I thought how hard could it be, this gives me room for two horses and a nice big tack room to store saddles and gear and some hay and feed, when we begin our trip were going to be taking a horse with us and follow the show scene as we go, would have to make a portable yard which could be hung on side of the float, it would need to be a rear loader and most likely will need the roof lifted as our horses are monster things at over 16hh each, none of this is difficult for me too, just gonna be another pain in the bum and extra work for me to do, I got no doubts the Inter 345 V8 will pull it around ok, if anyone knows of a wrecked Beddy or Leyland bus laying around and its close to Canberra let me know
ax8

Re: Im A Sucker For Punishment

Post by ax8 »

Why not get yourself a bigger bus so you can put the horses in the back, no towing and that way you can get something with the power and gearing to do what you want.
If you get a mid engine bus you may be able to drop the floor in the back.
Just an idea.

Cheers Al
dropbear68

Post by dropbear68 »

Nah I love my little bus I have a lot of time and blood invested in her, I did consider a bigger bus in the thinking, as I said merely an idea
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

I just stick with your little bus and invest in a top notch horse float or second hand horse float for the time being then a couple years down the track think about bigger bus and not a articulate bus knowing there are cheap artic buses around.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
kelvin12
Favourite Vehicle: Austral, King of the Outback

Post by kelvin12 »

How about a B double. Actually that's the sort of rig I need for a m/h.

Dirk
dropbear68

Post by dropbear68 »

Well we have a float, would mean a fairly low tow bar to hitch it, we wouldnt be taking it everywhere just when the West NSW Show Scene is on, I dont want a big bus really, for what we want to do the little Red Line is ideal, and its a good size for parks, no double site fees, got everything we need, I did notice some cheap artics about youd need to tow a fuel tanker behind it.
route_56

Post by route_56 »

I wonder how the horses feel - 100 years ago they were towing us around, now we drive them around!
dropbear68

Post by dropbear68 »

Ah but you wait, the world will come full circle and we will be back to horses when the oil runs out, so no planes, trains, buses, cars, unless u go full canola oil, no ships, so back to animals and sails, not bad as in a few short 100 years we have used over half of the worlds oil stocks already
kelvin12
Favourite Vehicle: Austral, King of the Outback

Post by kelvin12 »

Yeah, that would be right just get this bus up and ready to go and then no fuel.......

Dirk
plough

Post by plough »

Buy one that someone else has already done all the hard work for you.
There are 2 football teams with a swear word in there name. Arsenal and #%$#ing Manly.
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

There is plenty of coal around. You could always have the world's first coal powered Austin bus and the pollution that goes with :mrgreen: .But a 100 years ago there were coal and oil fired steam vehicles railway engines,ships,ferries and the four steam steam powered buses that operated in Sydney.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15

Return to “Bus to motorhome discussions”