ACTION 2014 recruitment

Information about employment in the Transport Industry, job advertisements etc.
Please use the relevant State icon when posting.

Moderators: Ken, MAN 16.242

Mikwebb

ACTION 2014 recruitment

Post by Mikwebb »

Hi all.
I am a complete bus novice looking at starting a new bus driving career in 2014. I currently live overseas so can't apply for any positions just yet, but I will be returning to Australia (prob Canberra) in the next few months. On the ACTION website it states that they have suspended the recruitment process due to an overwhelming response. They go on to say that they may re-open recruitment in March/April 2014. Hope that is the case.
I have a few questions for any one who may have some info on ACTION.
Is this the usual recruitment process for ACTION ? How many recruitment drives do they have a year? Is turnover relatively high compared to the other state services STA/Ventura etc ? If ACTION is too competitive I may have to focus on Sydney or Melbourne.

Thanks for your time.

Mick
V981
Favourite Vehicle: Anything Volvo

Re: ACTION 2014 recruitment

Post by V981 »

Mikwebb wrote:Hi all.
I am a complete bus novice looking at starting a new bus driving career in 2014. I currently live overseas so can't apply for any positions just yet, but I will be returning to Australia (prob Canberra) in the next few months. On the ACTION website it states that they have suspended the recruitment process due to an overwhelming response. They go on to say that they may re-open recruitment in March/April 2014. Hope that is the case.
I have a few questions for any one who may have some info on ACTION.
Is this the usual recruitment process for ACTION ? How many recruitment drives do they have a year? Is turnover relatively high compared to the other state services STA/Ventura etc ? If ACTION is too competitive I may have to focus on Sydney or Melbourne.

Thanks for your time.

Mick
I cant comment on the situation in Canberra or Sydney for that matter. However if you were to choose Melbourne, there are a number of bus operators you could try. I guess much would depend on which part of Melbourne you might choose to live in, but Ventura, Transdev Dysons and CDC all seem to have vacancies at pretty much any time of the year throughout its depots, and there are numerous other companies such as Sita, Kastoria and Panorama. It might also be worth you considering a number of regional cities, such as Geelong where Benders and McHarrys bus companies operate, or Ballarat where Davis Bus Services operate. (Benders and Davis are both part of the CDC group of companies.) Certainly in Melbourne and Victorian regional cities, there are plenty of employment opportunities going around if you want the work and have or can get the appropriate licences and permits.
The views expressed by me are mine and mine only. They do not neccesarily fall in line with the views of my friends, family, collegues or my employer.
Mikwebb

Re: ACTION 2014 recruitment

Post by Mikwebb »

Thanks very much for the helpful info. As it turns out Melbourne is where I am planning to go. When I get back to Oz I will first try Ventura.

Return to “Employment in the Transport Industry”