Ask a current Ventura employee anything.

Information about employment in the Transport Industry, job advertisements etc.
Please use the relevant State icon when posting.

Moderators: Ken, MAN 16.242

PaulB

Re: Ask a current Ventura employee anything.

Post by PaulB »

Hi again,

Ventura offered me a position in Oakleigh depot but at the interview they mentioned that occasionally I could be asked to drive routes for other depots.... How often could that happen (every week? Month? Rarely?).

Cheers !!

Paul
V981
Favourite Vehicle: Anything Volvo

Post by V981 »

PaulB wrote:Hi again,

Ventura offered me a position in Oakleigh depot but at the interview they mentioned that occasionally I could be asked to drive routes for other depots.... How often could that happen (every week? Month? Rarely?).

Cheers !!

Paul
In my experience, very rarely. Unless of course you are being employed as a "standby" specifically for the purpose of being moved around as required. But as a general rule, you will be employed at a specific depot and thats predominantly where you will always work.
The views expressed by me are mine and mine only. They do not neccesarily fall in line with the views of my friends, family, collegues or my employer.
aks_melb

Post by aks_melb »

Is any help me.to get a job in ventura ???i have one year experience in bus driving in perth.
ScaniaL94UB
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Post by ScaniaL94UB »

I'd like to know is your radio station tuned to some stations and volume or locked completely. Metro in Hobart have the FM radio locked in all buses.
Scania Trucks & Buses. Celebrate 100 years.
Peter1805

Post by Peter1805 »

ScaniaL94UB wrote:I'd like to know is your radio station tuned to some stations and volume or locked completely. Metro in Hobart have the FM radio locked in all buses.
I would say that it may vary between depots. I cannot comment on other depots but at the depot I am at (and also the depot I was previously at), there are no specific restrictions on station choice or volume, apart from those laid down in Ventura's official policies on the subject, which involve respecting the wishes of any customer who is bothered by the volume, etc. or wants it off. In my experience and from all that I have heard (or not heard) this rarely, if ever, happens.
V981

Post by V981 »

ScaniaL94UB wrote:I'd like to know is your radio station tuned to some stations and volume or locked completely. Metro in Hobart have the FM radio locked in all buses.
I have seen a couple of newer Ventura buses floating around with a simple radio on or off switch. The radio is programmed to something like Mix or Smooth FM (both inoffensive light pop stations for those playing interstate) and the volume is set at a level which is considered comfortable. This is programmed in a panel which the driver cant access. The driver only has access to the aforementioned On/Off switch.

As Peter1805 has mentioned however, it is an expectation as an employee at Ventura that as a driver, you will exhibit a certain degree of common sense when on duty. I like my fair share of house/tech/electronic music in my spare time, or "doof doof" as it is commonly referred to, but I also understand its not something that "Glenyth the senior citizen" wants pounding away at her head when catching the bus to her daily shopping outing. And as Peter also said, if a passenger asks you to turn it off, its best just to do so, at least until said passenger alights from the vehicle.
The views expressed by me are mine and mine only. They do not neccesarily fall in line with the views of my friends, family, collegues or my employer.
TELL

Post by TELL »

HI just wanted to know the MR training contract they are offering is $2500 but its not a guarantee that I will get a job and if they offer me a job and I decline I would need to pay the fee back.

Is it common to get locked in to a debt with out knowing what your actual employment contract is such as my pay, hours, benefits, etc..?

I was not told much and what was told to me was just word of mouth with nothing emailed or written

I am scared to sign a pre training contract without knowing what my employment contract is.

I would like to hear your thoughts
Peter1805

Post by Peter1805 »

TELL wrote:HI just wanted to know the MR training contract they are offering is $2500 but its not a guarantee that I will get a job and if they offer me a job and I decline I would need to pay the fee back.

Is it common to get locked in to a debt with out knowing what your actual employment contract is such as my pay, hours, benefits, etc..?

I was not told much and what was told to me was just word of mouth with nothing emailed or written

I am scared to sign a pre training contract without knowing what my employment contract is.

Perhaps ask them what the employment conditions are? Pay is a standard hourly base-rate (around $25 from memory), with time and a half for certain times of day/week, and double-time on Sundays, with double-time on most public holidays apart from Christmas day and Good Friday, when it is triple time. Hours can range from around 42 hours per week to around 50 hours a week, with paid hours varying according to times of shifts, penalty rates (as above), etc.. Benefits are the usual benefits that have been negotiated on your behalf by the trade union movement over the years, including sick leave, annual leave, long service entitlements, superannuation contributions etc. You also have certain defined rights in relation to dismissal, etc most of which are common to most Australian full-time permanent employees.

On average, depending on which depot you go to, annual earnings would vary from around $60,000 gross to around $90,000 gross, depending on your roster, and also on how much overtime, rail-replacement, etc you are willing to do.
TELL

Post by TELL »

Peter1805 wrote:
TELL wrote:HI just wanted to know the MR training contract they are offering is $2500 but its not a guarantee that I will get a job and if they offer me a job and I decline I would need to pay the fee back.

Perhaps ask them what the employment conditions are? Pay is a standard hourly base-rate (around $25 from memory), with time and a half for certain times of day/week, and double-time on Sundays, with double-time on most public holidays apart from Christmas day and Good Friday, when it is triple time. Hours can range from around 42 hours per week to around 50 hours a week, with paid hours varying according to times of shifts, penalty rates (as above), etc.. Benefits are the usual benefits that have been negotiated on your behalf by the trade union movement over the years, including sick leave, annual leave, long service entitlements, superannuation contributions etc. You also have certain defined rights in relation to dismissal, etc most of which are common to most Australian full-time permanent employees.

On average, depending on which depot you go to, annual earnings would vary from around $60,000 gross to around $90,000 gross, depending on your roster, and also on how much overtime, rail-replacement, etc you are willing to do.
Thanks peter, I called them and asked the lady, she said my pay would be $25.65 but she did not say anything about overtime, loading, penalty rates etc.... But she told me to look at the enterprise agreement form my depot in Moorabbin.

I tried to look for it on the Fare works commission web site but was only able to find three but they all had an end date which was 2011.

Do you now where to look for an enterprise agreement for moorabbin?

Do bus driver at ventura enjoy their work? how is the life working as one? Whats the pros and cons of the accrual day to day work?

thanks
Peter1805

Post by Peter1805 »

^Talk to the TWU driver's representative at Moorabbin - Vio is his name - he will be able to show you a copy of the Enterprise Agreement and also advise you on what you need to know.... Talking to some of the drivers there (they are mostly friendly people who will be only too happy to talk to you), will also help - they know all about the overtime, penalty rates etc..

It is a good job and an enjoyable job, if you go into it with the right attitude. It is not an easy job - you need to concentrate hard for long periods, and be able to handle the public and not get ruffled... don't worry too much when you are running late. There are times of the day and year when it will be unavoidable. The best approach is to just drive the same way at all times - safely and with the aim of getting yourself, the bus and your passengers to the destination.

There will be plenty of opportunities for overtime with rail replacement, scheduled and unscheduled, but make sure you get enough rest and sleep, and don't overdo it, especially in your first year or so. You need to pace yourself a bit at first. Learn all the runs well, and just concentrate on driving safely. I can't emphasize this enough. You will not win prizes for running on time, if you take risks to do so. All you will do is increase your risk of having silly accidents, etc. And learn to smile at the public, even when you don't feel like it. It makes a difference, and you'll have fewer problems if you do.
Dazza

Post by Dazza »

Hi,

I've just been lucky enough to score a job with Ventura but just have a silly question to ask.

I was just wondering if anyone vomits on the bus, is it the drivers job to clear it up?

i did give you a silly warning!

thanks

D
funbus
Favourite Vehicle: man sl200 mkI

Post by funbus »

Just clean it Dazza, :D

On the party bus, vomit was a frequent as rubbish on the floor some nights, as long as its not on the windows and the seats, it wont kill you to pull up near a servo, get the bucket of water, and there squeegee, quick clean up, and off you go again.

Its only common sense, and common courtesy to other passengers to sort it out quickly and take ownership of the problem!

My opinion only!

:wink:
"Its only a bus if it smells like diesel!" Electric buses might aswell be trams!!**
V981

Post by V981 »

funbus wrote:Just clean it Dazza, :D

On the party bus, vomit was a frequent as rubbish on the floor some nights, as long as its not on the windows and the seats, it wont kill you to pull up near a servo, get the bucket of water, and there squeegee, quick clean up, and off you go again.

Its only common sense, and common courtesy to other passengers to sort it out quickly and take ownership of the problem!

My opinion only!

:wink:
Ill give you credit for one thing. You have pretty much precisely summed up why I personally would rather rip open my stomach and eat my own intestines for lunch than drive a party bus. Thanks. :twisted:

Return to “Employment in the Transport Industry”