Buying our first motor home

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
Chek n em

Buying our first motor home

Post by Chek n em »

Hi everyone !!!!

So me and the wife have decided to purchase a motor home and take off around oz for a few years with the kids !!!!

So a question that probably has no right answer, but I would like some experienced members to help me out with their vast knowledge and experience as to what they would recommend for a first motor home.

Our budget isnt huge, we have 50k to spend.

I’ve narrowed it down to a few buses .

1- 1976 Mercedes 0305 ex MTC bus with a 3 speed auto

2 - 2000 Nissan UD with a 6 speed manual

3 - 1982 Hino RG320 manual (not sure of the gearbox configuration hopefully synchromesh)

If there are any others that I should keep an eye out for then I would be happy to hear what they are :)

Also, in regards to towing a car behind the bus ... would it be possible to tow a land cruiser 100 series on custom made lightweight trailer ? As I really dont want to sell my most beloved vehicle to buy a smaller 4wd to tow.

Any help and info would be greatly appreciated :)

Hope to hear from you soon !!!

Regards
Chek and Em
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: Buying our first motor home

Post by boronia »

I am not going to speculate on choice of buses, but one thing to watch is that the total length of the combination does not exceed 19 meters.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
ax8

Post by ax8 »

Are you after a bus to convert to a motorhome or one allready to go?

Stay away from city route buses like the Mercedes 0305, a coach would be the best choice with rear engine and storage underneath.
Chek n em

Post by Chek n em »

Thanks for the responses :) we are looking at purchasing an already converted one ready to go :)

I have read that the gearing on the Mercedes city buses is low, and top speed is 90km/h ? I guess this isn’t that bad as we won’t be in any kind of a hurry but definitely something to consider.

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”