Leyland Super Viking info required, please

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
Bus-ted

Leyland Super Viking info required, please

Post by Bus-ted »

Hi all,
The Mrs and I are looking at a 1982 PMC-bodied Leyland Super Viking, which has been converted into a motor home.

I'm curious about a few things relating to the bus, which has had a fair bit of "stuff" done to it during the conversion.

Just wanted to ask the knowledgeable people here about the "layout" of the bus as it came from the factory. The engine in there now is mid-mounted (a Scania DS8, I believe), and is backed by a 6-speed Allison auto. There isn't much info. out there on these about where the engine would have been mounted originally.

I ask as the engine as it sits hangs quite low (sump would be ~20cms off the ground by my basic reckoning), and I wonder whether that will limit the ability to take the thing places off the beaten track, so to speak, and whether there are other "economical" options as regards mounting the engine. (I'm guessing not).

Thanks in advance.
ax8

Re: Leyland Super Viking info required, please

Post by ax8 »

Mid mount sumps can sit low, that's normal and the bus would of been a mid mount originally i would think. The engine and gearbox are a good upgrade to what was there originally, 6 speed auto especially.
You could add a bash plate under the engine and gearbox sumps.
Bus-ted

Re: Leyland Super Viking info required, please

Post by Bus-ted »

ax8 wrote:Mid mount sumps can sit low, that's normal and the bus would of been a mid mount originally i would think. The engine and gearbox are a good upgrade to what was there originally, 6 speed auto especially.
You could add a bash plate under the engine and gearbox sumps.
Cheers, thanks for getting back to me.

Yep, def. a better engine and trans. combo than would have originally been there. That said, even the DS8 is getting *very* old these days (out of production in the mid-80s). Have been trying to do some research through Scania Aust. and they told me that "we'll get back to you in a bit, as we'll need to go through the microfiche to find info. on the engine...there's nothing digital on them!"

Biggest "concern" would be parts availability outside Europe...

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”