"Set Down Only - Not Taking Passengers?"

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
Transport: Buses
Favourite Vehicle: Bustech VST on Scania K280UB

"Set Down Only - Not Taking Passengers?"

Post by Transport: Buses »

I've always been curious about this - under what circumstances do drivers actually display this on the desto? The majority of time I see this the buses are clearly not full and are midway through their route, so it's not like they're terminating anytime soon. :? :?: :?:
Diesel_MAN
Favourite Vehicle: PMC Buses

Re: "Set Down Only - Not Taking Passengers?"

Post by Diesel_MAN »

In Adelaide, some routes require drivers to change the desto to display "Sorry No Pick Up". These are 'F' routes, which have a first set down for outbound trips and a final pick up for inbound trips. I don't know if you have any such routes where you're from, but here, a bus displaying 'Set Down Only' would be an 'F' service to the city. It's a way of saving time on longer routes.

Here's an example. If Bus Route 1 covers stops 15 to the city and Bus Route 2F covers stops 40 to the city using the same road as Bus Route 1, there's no reason for Bus Route 2F to have to pick up passengers after stop 15. Bus Route 1 can pick up those passengers. Bus Route 2F only has to set down passengers after stop 15. However, in Adelaide, passengers can board an F bus if it is setting a passenger down at that stop.
Please leave via centre door.
Please push handle to open door.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

In Sydney, this is used when buses are running late, and the controllers think some time might be saved by not picking up new passengers, just letting the existing pax get off.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Diesel_MAN
Favourite Vehicle: PMC Buses

Post by Diesel_MAN »

boronia wrote:In Sydney, this is used when buses are running late, and the controllers think some time might be saved by not picking up new passengers, just letting the existing pax get off.
That happened to me once in Adelaide. It was rather amusing, because there were only two other passengers on board the articulated bus when the driver got permission to do it. The next bus was only 1-2 minutes behind at that point, but I've never had that happen before, even on buses running twice as late.
Please leave via centre door.
Please push handle to open door.

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”