Mercedes 0305 Steering issue

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
55webec

Mercedes 0305 Steering issue

Post by 55webec »

Hi everyone, new member with nil knowledge. I purchased an ex- SA Adelaide Metro Bus (Dept. Transport 912 - 525) 05/1984 Mercedes 0305. Bought the bus 3 years ago and had a mate fly over to Adelaide and drive it back to Kalgoorlie WA for me as I was out of action due to Cancer, now I'm back into action and wish to start the task of converting to a Mobile Home. My mate advised that the bus travelled exceptionally well and had no problems reaching 100kph however he advised that there seemed to be a problem that he couldn't pin point with the steering, sometimes it would suddenly swing/skip to the right for no apparent reason. Hoping maybe someone would have some ideas on rectification or issues that may cause such a problem. Also open to any ideas on fitting out/converting the bus. It will be used by myself and my wife for travelling/holidays only, we want it to be practical and comfortable as our second home. Also if anyone has a Manual for these buses it would be highly appreciated. As I'm on a Disability Pension we won't be splashing out on luxury with the conversion, any info and pics that could be useful to us could be emailed to warren.edward@bigpond.com
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Re: Mercedes 0305 Steering issue

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Nice buy, they were great buses. Do you have any photos of the bus currently? I'd love to see them. I'm really no expert, but the steering issue might have something to do with the guidewheels for the O-Bahn (where the bus spent most of it's life), but I can't see how it would effect the steering. As part of working on the O-Bahn, it was driving at 100km/h for hours each day, hence why it can get to 100km/h so easily.

There is a bus to motorhome discussion thread at: http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=67

Have fun with her! ;)
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
55webec

Post by 55webec »

Thanks for the reply Lt. Commander Data. Will get some photos together at the weekend. Talking to the mate that drove it over from Adelaide this morning and he was saying that the bus shifted around a lot if a heavy vehicle passed from the other direction, or when coming out of a cutting, sounds like how caravans get sucked by passing larger vehicles if you get what I mean. He said at low speeds there was no problem, problems only happened at high speed. I'm now thinking maybe the steering might need tightening, I'm no expert so any tips from others would be helpful.
Guy_Arab
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N Bus & Guy Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

55webec wrote:Thanks for the reply Lt. Commander Data. Will get some photos together at the weekend. Talking to the mate that drove it over from Adelaide this morning and he was saying that the bus shifted around a lot if a heavy vehicle passed from the other direction, or when coming out of a cutting, sounds like how caravans get sucked by passing larger vehicles if you get what I mean. He said at low speeds there was no problem, problems only happened at high speed. I'm now thinking maybe the steering might need tightening, I'm no expert so any tips from others would be helpful.
Hi Warren did you get my email ?
guy arab

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”