Thread direction on a 1980 Leyland leopard bus

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
easycruiser

Thread direction on a 1980 Leyland leopard bus

Post by easycruiser »

Hi all members, I have a 1980 Leyland leopard bus with a 680 mid mount motor and a Wilson GB 340a pre select semi auto gear box and a Rockwell international differential in it. I have a workshop manual for it and it does not specify what direction the large nut for the axle hub turns to get the hub off the diff. The axle has been removed and also the locking bolt and nut and split pin has been removed from the axle carrier tube that goes through the large nut. Its on the passenger side of the bus.
Could anyone please tell me which way this large nut turns to undo it, wether it a left or a right hand thread and it turns anti clockwise to remove it or clockwise and I have been told by one guy called Scott Wilson that the passenger side hub nut turns clockwise to remove it and I have tried both directions to remove it and its really really tight. I know the wheel nuts on the passenger side turn clockwise to remove them.
So if anyone could please inform me which direction I turn it to remove it, I would greatly appreciate it. Also does the drivers side hub nut turn in what direction to undo it is the same as the passengers side.
I Would also like to hear from anyone who has any spare parts in good condition for sale at a reasonable price ?
Thanks
Easycruiser
mrobsessed
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Reliance

Re: Thread direction on a 1980 Leyland leopard bus

Post by mrobsessed »

If someone knows, it's Scott.
easycruiser

Post by easycruiser »

Hi, I think Scott might have got confused with the wheel nuts and the hub nut, that's why I am posting and looking for an answer, as I have to remove the hub so they can mount it to drum so the drums can be machined and the bearing adjustment can be made. So if you know anyone that knows the answer to my original question it would be greatly appreciated !!
Thanks
LB608

Post by LB608 »

Scott is your man

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”