1969 leyland double decker

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
coastlaw

1969 leyland double decker

Post by coastlaw »

Hi all out there,
I'm totally new on here and almost to big buses in general besides owning a 52 AEC Leyland in NZ for a couple years but never actually went anywhere in it. hahaaaa
I am about to buy a 69 Leyland double decker , ex party bus. I have yet to dig into its history which is so exciting in its own right. Im in Perth but im guessing it might be an ex Sydney one. so far its been hard to match any pictures on the model. I will have all the numbers etc and any history this weekend, its been very much a jump on the house bus dream before it slips into another party bus stint in some one elses hands. it hasnt been started in 12 mths but was run weekly before that. anyway lets see a couple quick pics and prod for opinions ..... first question is are there and where can i find workshop manuals on these ?
Bedford-29

Re: 1969 leyland double decker

Post by Bedford-29 »

Mate this DD is ex Plymouth bus Plymouth UK.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
Guy_Arab
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N Bus & Guy Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

coastlaw wrote:Hi all out there,
I'm totally new on here and almost to big buses in general besides owning a 52 AEC Leyland in NZ for a couple years but never actually went anywhere in it. hahaaaa
I am about to buy a 69 Leyland double decker , ex party bus. I have yet to dig into its history which is so exciting in its own right. Im in Perth but im guessing it might be an ex Sydney one. so far its been hard to match any pictures on the model. I will have all the numbers etc and any history this weekend, its been very much a jump on the house bus dream before it slips into another party bus stint in some one elses hands. it hasnt been started in 12 mths but was run weekly before that. anyway lets see a couple quick pics and prod for opinions ..... first question is are there and where can i find workshop manuals on these ?
I have a english manual for your bus
Guy Arab
coastlaw

Post by coastlaw »

thats a fantastic start , thankyou. I have emailed you Ric. awsum .
coastlaw

Post by coastlaw »

also where would i find the numbers to identify this particular bus, the id plate on the engine will take a bit of careful reading as its bit old , LOL. though im putting depost on tomorrow and will see what paperwork is actually there. no unfortunately the beautiful 4 footed bath does not come with it, dam.
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

Mate have you got another picture of the rear end so we can see if its old UK rego plate is still in place as this will tell you its old Plymouth fleet number.
coastlaw

Post by coastlaw »

Its up in Perth at moment and I live in Dunsborough about 2half 3 hour drive. It's parked on a hill property, and I kinda broke my own leg with an axe so i havent been able to walk up there. lol. im there on wed so i will get some pics of rear and any numbers anywhere.the only ones with that headlight setup ive seen is a sydney bus , pic was on here. it still has the phone number on side so i might just give it a call... i put deposit on yesterday. cant wait to sort out some bits and pices,
ie: 2 tires flat, new batteries, and the mission to get it through the trees next door and down one of the steepest hills in Perth, Kalamunda rd...
anyone in Perth or WA area that would like to get in contact and shoot the breeze laced with some brain picking and a kinda crazy kiwi hippy dude, look me up..
coastlaw

Post by coastlaw »

I almost forgot to ask if anyone knows where to find the W.A inspection regulations online as I cant seem to even find a heading for buses and coaches ?
It has been of the road for 4-5 years , but i dont know if its had a frame inspection or when it would need one ? its pretty painful to try and get someone on the phone , like most transport places..
berrybusman

Post by berrybusman »

Hi Mate,

Congratulations on your purchase.

This bus is EX Plymouth UK
Imported into Australia (WA) 1984 alongside two others (which I possess)

It is ex fleet no 228 ex UK rego JJY628G.

It is a Leyland Atlantean PDR2/1 chassis no 804018

Roof was lowered by authorities for rego purposes in WA. Thats why you cant stand upright upstairs (unless you are small)!

I may have its sister buses for sale if interested.

You would have the only set of running chassis no. Leyland Atlantean PDRs in the world!

I have 229 and 230.

Rare as rocking horse poop!

Hope this helps.
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

I have its chassis no listed as 803918.

http://perthbus.info/report.php?vid=JJY628G
image.php.jpg
image.php.jpg
Get the gen, see the shots: www.perthbus.info
coastlaw

Post by coastlaw »

Hi Berrybusman, Thats absolutely mind blowing, seriously you owe me a new top skull with that .. I just got back from Perth to show my lady her future home, and forgot camera , as the bus is up a steep property and my legs broken, any way i wrote the only number on the back painted in a small rectangle window half way up the rear.....
JJY628G ... spot on , thats our bus, upstairs roof exactly rubs the top of my dreds, hahaaaa, but my lady is 5"2 perfect. wow you have so totally blown me away with that..
where abouts are you ?
Dam I'm so stoked with that info..... :D :D
coastlaw

Post by coastlaw »

vin is 03918PDR21
coastlaw

Post by coastlaw »

The biggest question is at the moment is , will the EO680S engine and Wilson gearbox be ok for long distance travelling or are we going to have to look at putting it in storage and re-powering the ol gal at least to travel in ?
The plan is to try and fit it out in a way as to be able to return it to original with out to much trouble if it was to be restored one day.
csrbd

Post by csrbd »

Hi berryman. I might be interested in one of your PDR's. PM me if your likely to sell.
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

You always see how much stuffing around there is and stick a GM or Detroit engine in the Atlantean and convert it from semi automatic to full automatic just a suggestion.
berrybusman

Post by berrybusman »

OOPS
Your right chassis no. 803918.

Built 5/69 Leyland UK.
berrybusman

Post by berrybusman »

Hi Coastlaw,

No worries glad I could help with some info.

I did make mistake with chassis no. It is 803918.

Should be on a plate above drivers seat R/H side upper.

Will say body built by Park Royal (London) 5/69.

I am in NSW Sth Coast.

Good luck with it mate.

If it had of been closer to home I would have made an effort to purchase her for parts (not at the price though)

Regards
berrybusman

Post by berrybusman »

Thanks CSRBD,

Not sure if I want to part with them as yet.

I would prefer to sell both (if I was to get a good offer) as they are possibly the only matching (running chassis number) privately owned PDR's of this type in the world Im sure?

If anybody knows different please let me know?

At this stage Im thinking I may still want to restore one and keep the other for spares.

I will let you know if I should change my mind.

Kind Regards
csrbd

Post by csrbd »

No worries. Have you posted any pics of you're collection, would be very interested to see them. Cheers
coastlaw

Post by coastlaw »

been a lil while since i joined, found main treadle valve had been ripped off chassis after previous owner reversed over a large Jarrah root.
It was suggested to upgrade to an E-6 dual valve that mounts on floor with complete pedal assembly ?? was wondering if the E-10 would be a better option , not as harsh.
atlantean 9

Post by atlantean 9 »

Hi, just signed up as a member.
Hadn't checked on Australian Plymouth PDR2s for awhile, and another turns up!!!
I'm Ed Heseltine from Plymouth city transport preservation group (www.plymouthcitytransport.co.uk) and I own with my brother Philip and friend Dave Jenkins the only surviving Park Royal PDR2 left in U.K NDR 509J. We are into our 3rd year of restoration of number9,it having been last used 7-8 years ago as a mobile church youth club in the Welsh valleys. The interior completely ripped out but mechanically sound. The Park Royal website www.prv.org.uk has original park royal publicity shots for all 3 batch versions of our PDR2s. Our vehicle has a dedicated page to our restoration. We have original Milehouse Plymouth bus depot Leyland workshop manuals if you ever need any info. I guess you would have seen Dee Decker tours has 234 and the interior is immaculate as they were in Plymouth working days for your restoration guide.
I see you actually still have the body of the upper deck passenger counter on the stairs. these were used only for a short while as an experiment when they were first delivered for one man operation. 234 has a perfect 1.I asked Dee Decker to send a photo but had no reply. None of these units exist in U.K anymore so you might have 1 of only 2 left. We are going for original as delivered state, would it be possible to send any photos of your unit to us so we can try to replicate one for ourselves. Also just had text from our media liason guy Jason Beverley on plymouthcitytransport site if we can get a contact together so we can follow your progress
Regards and Merry Christmas Ed Heseltine
coastlaw

Post by coastlaw »

Hi Ed due to moving house twice and health problem i haven't been on here at all. Yes the passenger counter is complete with red perspex for front and the counter under the stairs though the red perspex is cracked in half. We brought it to live in but trying not to alter anything in a way that cant be restored if need be . It had no seats and was used by Purple Busses as a party bus then sold to an old guy who passed away never relising the dream to live in it . It sat for about 4-5 years and i brought it off the daughter about 18mths or so ago . Its The Super Purple Party Bus. one is in Queensland also being converted to live in, as you know , one is being restored in NSW . Sounds like our 1969 PDR2's are a bit of a rare beast.
Illustrator Paul

Post by Illustrator Paul »

I live in Australia now but well know these buses as I was raised for my first 18 years in Plymouth UK. I have lasting memories of standing on Royal Parade looking to catch the 20 to Woodford...I still have a ticket some where from those days...in the 70s Mum asked for a 20 and a 10, that was how much it cost to go from the city centre to Plymbridge Road...I remember the Titans slowly being fazed out and that a conductor issued you with a ticket...with the Atlanteans you paid the driver...for a while they had a ticket machine on the wall by the stairs but they didnt last too long. Memories of diesel fumes, how hot it was downstairs on the backseat (which everyone wanted in the winter) and the smell of cigarette smoke coming from the top deck...happy days
Guy_Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

CONTRAC ME ON tram1one@bigpond.com
guy arab
Guy_Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

Dreambus99 wrote:I have a english manual for your bus
Guy Arab

Hello Guy Arab, any chance you still got that english manual for the JJY628G? I drive past it every day on the way down the hill. The kiwi guy with dreadlocks must of sold it on. I wanna make it run and carry a bunch of hippies like me to the music festivals.

Any help would be appreciated.
Best Regards
Dreambus99
CONTACT ME ON tram1one@bigpond.com

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”