Mercedes O317 Coach Engine Options

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
coldspider

Mercedes O317 Coach Engine Options

Post by coldspider »

Hi All

Great forum by the looks of it, and hopefully there is a person or people here who can help me with some advice.

I have a Mercedes O317 coach with a damaged OM346 engine that needs a rebuild. After months and months of several suppliers searching for parts we have located everything we need. Problem is the cost for the rebuild is substantial and for an engine that is so hard to find I am questioning if we should be proceeding.

I have been looking into other options for transplanting something a bit more modern and have been considering a OM407 does anyone know what would be involved in swapping these over or can you recommend another engine that might be suitable. It is a lovely old bus and I would like to bring it back to it's former glory.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by coldspider on Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
DiAmOnD T
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Mandator Ex Browns no7

Re: Mercedes O317 Coach Engine Options

Post by DiAmOnD T »

I guess it comes down to block similarity between 346 and 407, as the 407 (and later 447) is horizontally mounted where as your 346 is vertical (at least according to google images, never laid eyes on a 346 personally)
The Diesel Guy
- Mobile heavy vehicle repairs serving Sydney to Newcastle -

dieselguynsw@gmail.com
coldspider

Post by coldspider »

My OM346 is horizontal and is pretty rare compared to the vertical as you can see from a Google search.

I'm also now looking for a OM355 which might be an easier swap. Was hoping someone on here might know for sure about the 407 or 355
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

Does it have to be an MB engine? What about considering other makes of engines? There are some good engines out there that can do the job. Engines like Cummins,DAF,MAN,Scania,Isuzu to name a few. Can you measure your engine compartment then compare other engines for similar external dimensions? Just food for thought.
coldspider

Post by coldspider »

Denv12 wrote:Does it have to be an MB engine? What about considering other makes of engines? There are some good engines out there that can do the job. Engines like Cummins,DAF,MAN,Scania,Isuzu to name a few. Can you measure your engine compartment then compare other engines for similar external dimensions? Just food for thought.
Hi. Yes it does it's a Mercedes OM346. I have considered other engines and had a good look around but because the engine is horizontal it rules out engines like Cummins, Scania and Izuzu. DAF and MAN make some horizontal options but the workshop that have a coach seem to think anything other than a Merc engine would be really hard to fit. Unfortunately the bus is 600km away from me otherwise I would be doing the work myself.

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”