Mercedes OM422 V8 diesel

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
Outback Bruce

Mercedes OM422 V8 diesel

Post by Outback Bruce »

Good morning to you all.

I have been looking at a bus which is fitted with a Mercedes OM422 diesel. It also has a Mercedes 6 speed gearbox. Does anyone know of characteristic problems with this model engine or gearbox?

Also, I've been looking on the net for specifications for these items, and cannot locate anything. Can anyone point me to a website?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Bruce.
Guy_Arab
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N Bus & Guy Arab

Re: Mercedes OM422 V8 diesel

Post by Guy_Arab »

Outback Bruce wrote:Good morning to you all.

I have been looking at a bus which is fitted with a Mercedes OM422 diesel. It also has a Mercedes 6 speed gearbox. Does anyone know of characteristic problems with this model engine or gearbox?

Also, I've been looking on the net for specifications for these items, and cannot locate anything. Can anyone point me to a website?

Bruce.
I have a manual on Mercedes V8 plus I think you find the gearbox is a ZF as in my manual
Guy Arab
Mr Scania
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Post by Mr Scania »

Not too many characteristic problems.
Could be either ZF or Mercedes gearbox. It will say on the box. Three pointed star is a Mercedes box. ZF would be on a plate.
What sort of vehicle have you bought with this engine and box ?
Sidey44
Favourite Vehicle: Austral Tourmaster

Post by Sidey44 »

Gday Bruce,
Ive got just the thing,Ive got a 0303 951 twin turbo and have cataloged every part and done a cross reference for any a/m versions etc.
Lift up the floor hatch above the box and the ZF ID plate for the box is on the top.
I dare say its prob a S6-106 but on the plate is a number that will confirm it.
below that to the left is another number it will start with 1298 or similar,thats your parts list for the box.
Shoot me a pm with your chassis number(starts with 3003 0r 3004), engine number(on LH cyl bank near w/pump) and 1298 number and Ill see what I can do :)
Where are you from?
Your donkey is broken....you want your parts when!!!
bfh42

Post by bfh42 »

I have a bus with the mercedes OM422 engine and I am desperately looking for a service manual. Can anyone help?
DiAmOnD T
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Mandator Ex Browns no7

Post by DiAmOnD T »

Haven't heard of any major problems with them, like most benz products around that era they are almost indestructible (OM 4xx series)
The Diesel Guy
- Mobile heavy vehicle repairs serving Sydney to Newcastle -

dieselguynsw@gmail.com
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

bfh42 wrote:I have a bus with the mercedes OM422 engine and I am desperately looking for a service manual. Can anyone help?
see above
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Guy_Arab
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N Bus & Guy Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

Outback Bruce wrote:Good morning to you all.

Bruce.
To all require to connect to me I HAVE BEEN Of INTERNET CONNECTION BUT HOPEFULLY I AM ON AIR AGAIN My apologies
GUY ARAB
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

DiAmOnD T wrote:Haven't heard of any major problems with them, like most benz products around that era they are almost indestructible (OM 4xx series)
I worked with a fleet of them in the 80s.

Only real problem was the exhaust brakes sticking on (they were pretty useless anyway)
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”