GBW -> Coach Design

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
Daz
Favourite Vehicle: 4964F Heritage

GBW -> Coach Design

Post by Daz »

I wonder if anyone knows who has got the first few coach design bodies. Bankstown has #4 TV1326 and Mt Gravatt has #10 "Harvey". Warwick Charter Coaches has GBW body #C87.

I would like to know who has the last of the GBW's and how the two designs were intertwined ie. 'Harvey' has a CD front and GBW rear.

Also, who are G, B and W and which of them remains in Coach Design.

Many thanks.

Daz
Did you hear the scarecrow got an award? He was out standing in his field.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: GBW -> Coach Design

Post by boronia »

I recall this company being referred to as Grafton Body Works. Were they ever based in Grafton??
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Gday

Post by Gday »

Stewarts Bundaberg got one I believe, the last GBW (Or first coach design) went to Tamborine Mountain coaches, and won coach of the show award in the Sydney bus show (Cant recall the year , '92 or '93 I think)
Hornibrook

Post by Hornibrook »

GBW was Gamer, Brewer and Winter and were based where Coach Design are now in Archerfield at Beatty Road.
Coach Design was formed by Chryss Jamieson and is still owned & operated by Chryss.

The last GBW went to Mylon Motorways in Victoria.

The first Coach Design went to Sampsons Tours of Nowra - a MAN and was most recently with Aljac Investments in Bexley NSW until it was recently sold.

The Mount Gravatt one was build 10, the Tamborine was build 8 and is now in NZ.

Gamer's son, Mark Gamer now runs & owns Coach Concepts in South Brisbane too who manufacturer very high quality vehicles!

Hope this helps.
Daz

Post by Daz »

Thankyou. When did the Tambo one go to NZ? I had an MAN take us to Camp in about 2001 but that may have been a Majestic. Does anyone know the progression between the two? Was it Chryss that created the updated design or did GBW modify it before selling out? I remember seeing that name on a desk there in Archerfield when applying for a job. They called me the week before I moved down here to B******** and offered me a start... I went to the new Denning joint down the other side of the Airport but it all seemed too upbeat and professional and they wanted too much paperwork. What can I say, I'm not a 'corporations' kinda guy.

Daz
Gday

Post by Gday »

Hornibrook wrote:GBW was Gamer, Brewer and Winter and were based where Coach Design are now in Archerfield at Beatty Road.
Coach Design was formed by Chryss Jamieson and is still owned & operated by Chryss.

The first Coach Design went to Sampsons Tours of Nowra - a MAN and was most recently with Aljac Investments in Bexley NSW until it was recently sold.

Gamer's son, Mark Gamer now runs & owns Coach Concepts in South Brisbane too who manufacturer very high quality vehicles!

Hope this helps.
Holy Crap!!!!! Im gonna just PM you next time I want to know something, you are like the rain main of buses hornibrook. EXCELLENT WORK :shock: :D :lol: :lol:
Hornibrook

Post by Hornibrook »

Daz wrote:Thankyou. When did the Tambo one go to NZ? I had an MAN take us to Camp in about 2001 but that may have been a Majestic. Does anyone know the progression between the two? Was it Chryss that created the updated design or did GBW modify it before selling out? I remember seeing that name on a desk there in Archerfield when applying for a job. They called me the week before I moved down here to B******** and offered me a start... I went to the new Denning joint down the other side of the Airport but it all seemed too upbeat and professional and they wanted too much paperwork. What can I say, I'm not a 'corporations' kinda guy.

Daz
G'day Daz,

I believe it was Chryss who created the updated design - infact it took them quite a number of times to build a coach and to pass it through ADR - obviously they have no problems now a days!

I think the Tamborine coach was sold around 2003 ish, as Dr Maclean who previous owned it sold to Chris Erickson in 2004, a mechanic formerly working for Greenaway (now Wisely's) of Wingham.
Hornibrook

Post by Hornibrook »

Gday wrote:
Hornibrook wrote:GBW was Gamer, Brewer and Winter and were based where Coach Design are now in Archerfield at Beatty Road.

Hope this helps.
Holy Crap!!!!! Im gonna just PM you next time I want to know something, you are like the rain main of buses hornibrook. EXCELLENT WORK :shock: :D :lol: :lol:
I try to know my stuff, especially regarding body builders seeing as I have complete build sheets of Coach Design and Concepts, as well as basically every body builder over the last 30 years or so.
Gday

Post by Gday »

Yeah, I was being serious, its handy to have a guy like you, who "ACTUALLY" knows what he is on about. Excellent
Daz

Post by Daz »

Wow a compliment! From Gday! Amazing.

OK, so Harvey has a Coach Design front, Coach Design sides but a GBW back. Would there have been half-finished coaches in the sale? From what you are saying, maybe not. The rear is just a glass mould of course, I wonder If there were some pre-made bulkheads just lying around and were given to Chryss as stock? I am interested in this as it's a story worth telling of two of the best coach builders in our generation, GBW and Coach Design.

Daz
Hornibrook

Post by Hornibrook »

Daz wrote:Wow a compliment! From Gday! Amazing.

OK, so Harvey has a Coach Design front, Coach Design sides but a GBW back. Would there have been half-finished coaches in the sale? From what you are saying, maybe not. The rear is just a glass mould of course, I wonder If there were some pre-made bulkheads just lying around and were given to Chryss as stock? I am interested in this as it's a story worth telling of two of the best coach builders in our generation, GBW and Coach Design.

Daz
The very early ones were almost identical to some of the GBW vehicles, so design plans were initially based upon the previous made vehicles and then tweaked for their improvements.

Here's a shot of the first one built, looks very GBW ish doesn't it!
http://gallery66610.fotopic.net/p31927426.html
mcpaton

Post by mcpaton »

Sorry to drag up an old topic. Sampson's Whitsundays fleet picked up its first Coach Design bus in 1992. I rode it on its first day in service. It was Coach Design body number 7.
Daz

Post by Daz »

Thanks mate. So I'm guessing the Bankstown 2 axle must have been one of the test platforms? Or the build was started earlier but finished later? Cheers.
Hornibrook

Post by Hornibrook »

From my research (which is going into an article on Coach Design in the December/January Queensland Bus magazine), Bankstown TV1326 is the first Coach Design front - as they used GBW moulds for Coach Design builds #1 (MAN midi), #2 (MAN midi) and #3 (Scania 3-axle coach).

It was Tamborine Mountain Coaches' MAN 22.360 (Coach Design #8) that took out the 1992 Bus of the Show at the Sydney Bus Show.
Hornibrook

Post by Hornibrook »

Also it appears the last GBW was built in mid to late 1990 (as Coach Design commenced building in early 1991) - although there is at least one coach (GBW build #C89 - the highest build number) that carries a compliance date of 02/1992.

Certainly Coach Design never finished off any GBW vehicles, or at least that Chryss can remember.
Hornibrook

Post by Hornibrook »

For those interesting in learning about the transition from GBW to Coach Design and how the business has been built up, the Queensland Bus Magazine has just written a very detailed and informative article.

It can be purchased for $10 (including postage) from editor@qocs.org.au
Issue4.jpg
Issue4.jpg (51.57 KiB) Viewed 3372 times
Darwin Lindsay

Post by Darwin Lindsay »

:D Hi Guys I'm new here and have recently purchased a GBW #24
I bought it from Woy Woy off a bloke that bought it from Perth,
Its running a 6V71 with what i believe to be a 5 speed Spicer?
Does anyone know a bit more of the history of this lovely old girl

Please let me know
Guy_Arab
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N Bus & Guy Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

Darwin Lindsay wrote::D Hi Guys I'm new here and have recently purchased a GBW #24

Please let me know
Could this be the bus from Bunbury by Hough charter
Guy Arab
Guy_Arab
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N Bus & Guy Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

Guy_Arab wrote:
Darwin Lindsay wrote::D Hi Guys I'm new here and have recently purchased a GBW #24

Please let me know
Could this be the bus from Bunbury by Hough charter
Guy Arab
I just found this photo of Houghs Charter coach of Bunbury Would anyone like a copy PM me
Guy Arab

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”