Removal of two section tickets and other fare changes 7 July

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
softgrow

Removal of two section tickets and other fare changes 7 July

Post by softgrow »

As mentioned in the Advertiser and detailed in the Government Gazette (23 May 2019 Page 1315, c.f. 21 June 2018 page 2548) a number of changes to ticketing will occur on 7 July 2019:
  • removal of two section tickets
  • restoring the charge on new MetroCards to $5/$3.50 concession instead of free
  • as usual there is a roughly CPI increase of 1-2% in most fares and passes
The Advertiser hinted that the two section tickets are being removed due to “rampant rorting”. I'm not sure about the truth in that, but I’m a bit annoyed by this one as at peak times, at least for myself there is quite a saving as long as I’m not returning in two hours or wanting to transfer. I suppose I walk more than pay $3.77 for 2-3 stops (unless its raining like now). Interpeak it’s only 48 cents difference so I just use the zone ticket. These ticket have never having been available on rail, presumably section marks might disappear from signage and timetables over time for bus and tram.

I cannot see the logic of reintroducing the charge for MetroCards. I see this as a barrier to getting first time users on to MetroCards and really annoying when cards are lost. I would have moved the other way and maybe have drivers sell a $10 fare on vehicle (MetroCard and $10 credit) to get more people with MetroCards and hence more likely to use transit over other modes. Probably will give Currie Street ticket agents more grief about arguing the toss and hence the charge on faulty cards.
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Re: Removal of two section tickets and other fare changes 7

Post by TT »

What about the 2 section Metrocards (yes there is such a thing): are they still going to be able to be topped up with credit or will they no longer be accepted by the validators?
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

If Adelaide had a system similar to Sydney where one taps off upon alighting, then it would be easier to implement the appropriate fare. Personally, I feel like I'm being ripped off paying the full concession fare for a trip that is less than 10kms.

But the DPTI only cares about money, hence the many flaws in the pathetic system including one that I won't mention, due to it causing WW3 every time I do.
Mike M

Post by Mike M »

TA3001 wrote:If Adelaide had a system similar to Sydney where one taps off upon alighting, then it would be easier to implement the appropriate fare. Personally, I feel like I'm being ripped off paying the full concession fare for a trip that is less than 10kms.

But the DPTI only cares about money, hence the many flaws in the pathetic system including one that I won't mention, due to it causing WW3 every time I do.
Unfortunately that's what happens when you turn Adelaide into one big flat fare zone which is basically what we already have here in Melbourne. There is no fairness in charging someone the same amount to travel 2km or 20km.
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

TA3001 wrote:If Adelaide had a system similar to Sydney where one taps off upon alighting, then it would be easier to implement the appropriate fare. Personally, I feel like I'm being ripped off paying the full concession fare for a trip that is less than 10kms.
While a touch-on, touch-off system is a good way for charging distance-based (such as Sydney) or zonal journeys (such as Perth); having driven buses in Sydney can attest to the fact that the requirement to touch off increases dwell times as opposed to having passengers just walk off. Thankfully in Sydney they have an efficient passenger culture, most people have their Opal cards ready to tap when boarding and alighting. Can you image how much longer a journey would take if you have a few that fumble around to touch off their card which is a common passenger habit in Adelaide.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

I personally think we're talking to a wall in this regard.

But wouldn't the travel time be evened out by eliminating paper ticket sales on some services? Sydney does this, but it doesn't sound tourist friendly. It is ridiculous to be told I can't travel on a bus due to not having an 'Opal' card.

And this hypothetical practice would possibly require a cap on fares, which is the worst possible change you can implement in a ticketing system. Cutting all PT services would get less of a backlash.
Mike M

Post by Mike M »

TA3001 wrote:I personally think we're talking to a wall in this regard.

But wouldn't the travel time be evened out by eliminating paper ticket sales on some services? Sydney does this, but it doesn't sound tourist friendly. It is ridiculous to be told I can't travel on a bus due to not having an 'Opal' card.

And this hypothetical practice would possibly require a cap on fares, which is the worst possible change you can implement in a ticketing system. Cutting all PT services would get less of a backlash.
Payment by contactless cards should be available on Sydney Buses in the next couple of months. That solves the problem for most casual users who don't have or want an Opal Card. It is already on ferries, trains & light rail, I think.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Can't find a link to this on the AdMet site anywhere.
Norman
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Norman »

Skexis wrote:Can't find a link to this on the AdMet site anywhere.
It's still a month off, it will probably ne added in the next week or so.
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

These ticket have never having been available on rail, presumably section marks might disappear from signage and timetables over time for bus and tram.
I’ve always understood trains do use stations as sections. Adelaide Metro website (fares section) clearly states that every station is counted as a section. So travel 2 stations (eg Grange to Seaton Pk) and you’ve travelled 2 sections.
Last edited by TT on Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Follow PAFC
Favourite Vehicle: Any low floor bus

Post by I Follow PAFC »

Fare Changes 2019.
When: From Sunday 7 July 2019.
https://adelaidemetro.com.au/Announceme ... anges-2019

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”