New Uber style bus sytem planned

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
jibb

New Uber style bus sytem planned

Post by jibb »

From today's Advertiser;-
Uber-style buses could soon be roaming Adelaide streets.
The State Government will today release a tender asking for an operator to offer an on-demand bus service. It is another push towards a public transport model encouraging passengers particularly in low patronage areas to jump on and off multiple forms of Public Transport.
The Government also hopes the on-demand service could plug gaps in a system where traditional buses,trams or trains are not practical.This could include cross city trips or other points of interest like shopping centres.
The system is based on a NSW trial in 24 urban and regional locations that allows passengers to book a vehicle via an app on line or by phone for pick up from or from from either home or a nearby location, and take them to a local transport hub or point of interest.
It is another step in the State Government's overhaul of a Public Transport system to try to stop declining patronage.
Transit System Australia (the parent company of Torrens Transit) operates this type of service in Sydney called Bridj.
Skexis

Re: New Uber style bus sytem planned

Post by Skexis »

And any reports of whether the trial in NSW was successful? Or of the running costs?
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

NSW has/is still running a number of trials.
Some work well and are being continued.
Others don't and get withdrawn - after all that's the idea of trials.
I think the bottom line is that the concept has potential but needs to be well targeted.

Of course its now new. Melbourne ran two such trials in the late 70s.
Dial A Bus at St Albans folded after 12 months - by contrast Telebus at Chirnside Park and Rowville is still going today.

The scaremongering by the union rep in Adelaide reported yesterday is just silly.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

I'm sure that some of our older contributors may have better information than myself; but there was a Dial-a-bus service trialled in Adelaide in the early 1970's.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
howlerbus
Favourite Vehicle: Diesel Buses

Post by howlerbus »

And some towns such as Murray Bridge have a Dial A Ride service which is the same thing but without an app
You got a real flash bus, but my one's flash one, eh
And I believe that my one's faster than yours, Mr Bond
'Cause mine's a red one'
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

From memory the State government was all ready to run dial a bus in Adelaide in the mid 70s. A fleet of about 12 brand new Ford Transit mini buses (about 10 seaters from memory) were purchased and all ready to go. But the whole show was cancelled on day 1 of the trial before even 1 trip took place. But can’t remember the reason for the cancellation.
The Ford Transits were sold/auctioned in “as new” condition (about 20km on each) about a month later.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”