How bus revamp will get commuters moving faster.

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Re: How bus revamp will get commuters moving faster.

Post by Merc1107 »

tonyp wrote:This is the Perth model. I hope they plan and implement it properly and pull it off as successfully as Perth. Sydney and Canberra are also heading down this path.
It's also worth noting that while a lot of Perth's travel is based on interchange, there are a handful of instances where this isn't the case given forcing interchange so close to the city can often result in longer journey times. So I echo your sentiments here in hoping they plan and implement it properly, recognising where a one-seat journey has its merit.
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

The only problems with some of these connections mentioned above is lack of infrastructure. It's not just a case of simply adjusting bus services.

Stop 14 at Mitcham has no indent on the eastern side and articulated buses could block access to the car park entrance on the western side. Plus where would buses turn around from an outbound trip to an inbound trip?

At Glenelg, you cannot have buses starting and finishing at stop 16 on Jetty Rd as this would have to be a timepoint and you can't have a bus blocking the whole road waiting for the clock to tick over. It isn't that far from the tram stop to the bus stops at Moseley Square/Glenelg Interchange, but a lot more directional signage is needed to promote tram & bus services to each other.

With Blackwood & surrounding areas served by buses, unfortunately it is far quicker to travel by car to the city than an indirect, slow train service, plus a connecting bus. If you travel to anywhere south of about Currie St/Grenfell St or towards Pulteney St it is also quicker to travel by car than by bus, train, and a city connector bus or similar.

Train services need to be made faster. Seaford trains should not have to crawl out of stations because of the signalling system. Once the doors close, it should be full power and the top speeds in places are a little lower than desirable. Having so many stations close together certainly doesn't help either. Unfortunately in SA it is too political to close stations to benefit the majority when the minorities always whinge so loudly.

Tram services must have priority through the city, and not be held up so much between Glenelg and the city. You only need to look at Melbourne or the Gold Coast to see how tram priority should work.

Bus infrastructure is severely lacking in places. Bus interchanges that are welcoming and inviting, bus driver toilet facilities & bus lanes or 'B' lights are severely lacking which impacts reliability and travel times, and puts people off from using public transport.
jibb

Post by jibb »

For those who want some mind numbing reading from today's In Daily;-
http://www.indaily.com.au/news/2019/05/ ... transport/
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Post by Eurostar »

Remove the 222 services. Change the 224 to run to and from the city via Port Wakefield Road. Change the 228F to 228. Extend 225M to Gepps Cross via Mawson Lakes Boulevard, extend 229 (feeder) to Gepps Cross (25). Maintain the 224X and 228X but change 225F/X, 229F/X to 225 and 229 to maintain the Main North Road Go Zone.
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

Deducting 10 minutes from the schedules of inbound 178s, and 5 minutes from that of inbound 174s in arvo peak may help a little.

There is far too much dwelling with Payneham Rd services in afternoon peak, particularly inbound. It's the same schedule as outbound, but with a third of the patronage, and less potential delays.
Route 506
Favourite Vehicle: R.I.P. #582 (1582) 29-12-2008

Post by Route 506 »

Eurostar wrote:Remove the 222 services. Change the 224 to run to and from the city via Port Wakefield Road. Change the 228F to 228. Extend 225M to Gepps Cross via Mawson Lakes Boulevard, extend 229 (feeder) to Gepps Cross (25). Maintain the 224X and 228X but change 225F/X, 229F/X to 225 and 229 to maintain the Main North Road Go Zone.
Another suggestion re Main North Road is the following:

Terminate Route 225 and 228 services at Mawson Lakes, with a few 225F/225X/228F/228X to run in peak hour only, very similar to the new look 224 services. The 228 would be re routed travelling from Mawson Interchange via Mawson Central, then Mawson Lakes Bvd then left onto Main North Road and as it is now.

Route 222 will continue to serve Main North Road, with Route 229 to start from the City and travel the same up to Goodall Road, Para Hills and instead of terminating on Kimba Road continue on Goodall Road, turning right onto Bridge Road, then left onto McIntyre Road, continuing straight via McIntyre and Kings Road terminating at Parafield Railway Station. I realise there is no indent there and am not sure whether there would be room for buses to stop next to car park area - That would be the only concern.

Route 226 would be introduced travelling via the current Route 225 to Mawson Interchange before coming out via Elder Smith Drive, Salisbury Highway to Ryans Road (or could follow Route 411 to Ryans Road - possibly could reduce 411 to 30 mins weekly with 226 also operating?) then via Ryans Road turning right onto Martins Road and continue all the way through to Kings Road turning right and continuing up to Parafield Railways Station.

Route 226 and 229 would be something like the 171/190 set up at Mitcham where a 226 would then become a 229 and vice versa, and this way the 229 would possibly (hopefully) get more people on board with it connecting to the train!

Main North Road would also get services up to Gepps Cross at a 20 minute zone with 222,226, & 229 services, unless the 228 starts at Gepps Cross instead of Mawson Lakes on weekends and nights to maintain a 20 min Frequency to Pooraka Stop 29, but if wanting to save fuel and kms leave it to start at Mawson.

Peak hour would see 221 to Gepps Cross (re introduced) and 222 to Mawson serving Main North Road with all other routes as F or X services - F First Set Down/Last Pick Up Stop 26 again and X - Express to Stop 29 as it is now.

On a side note a service from Elizabeth or Salisbury to St Kilda may be more popular than we think. Especially if the 900 Route is used from Elizabeth and branches to St Kilda, as Virginia area is growing all the time and has basically no bus service
Now Running Express - Next Stop: City
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Speaking of 900s, I don't know why the DPTI has not added another 9 minutes from Salisbury to stop 73 Old Port Wakefield Rd at Virginia.

You could honestly get there from Ann St Salisbury on a pushbike in the time given, and still be early, or even in 1601 with it's fuel injection issues when it accelerated at a rate of about a kph per 1-2 seconds in early 2017.
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

The new contracts commence from 5 July, for more info I'll refer you to this thread - http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... =6&t=85537 for further information.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
PaxInfo

Post by PaxInfo »

Merc1107 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:26 pm
tonyp wrote:This is the Perth model. I hope they plan and implement it properly and pull it off as successfully as Perth. Sydney and Canberra are also heading down this path.
It's also worth noting that while a lot of Perth's travel is based on interchange, there are a handful of instances where this isn't the case given forcing interchange so close to the city can often result in longer journey times. So I echo your sentiments here in hoping they plan and implement it properly, recognising where a one-seat journey has its merit.
This is true. Pretty much every suburb within about 8 or 10 km of Perth's CBD has a direct bus. There's not a lot of duplication as inner Perth has relatively few stations (there being just three lines with closely spaced stations).

Beyond that they mostly have circumferential routes to a station where a transfer must be made. Or they have routes that run from station to station on the same line, especially where the stations are widely spaced as on the Joondalup line. The latter approach is how the Joondalup line started but changes to the network have been towards the circumferential model with more services to inland areas away from the line eg Mirrabooka. However they've kept with the old approach west of the Mitchell Fwy/railway, although I do wonder whether there should be some through routes from east of the freeway, via a station then terminating at Whitford City or Hillarys.

The Mandurah line has always had the circumferential network for roughly the 8 to 20 km band. Beyond that Fremantle is a long way away and it's a fair hike through not much to Armadale so routes further south (and north) just feed the one line.

Adelaide is narrow enough that you'd think that most areas directly east and west could continue to have a bus into the CBD. But the north and south outer areas lends itself to a feeder arrangement provided trains are fast and frequent enough. And there appears significant overlap in the Port Adelaide area.
Are you being served? Service aspects of public transport in Melbourne http://melbourneontransit.blogspot.com & MelbOnTransit on Twitter.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Port Adelaide isn't exactly a lifeless wasteland in the middle of a desert. It's a relatively dense urban area with a shopping centre, and a bus interchange. Several services terminate here, and there is a depot just south as well.

It also has a railway station, a lighthouse, and many waterways which can attract tourism. I don't think having 2 services a day operated by minibuses would suffice...

Having said this, I don't know a lot about Melbourne PT, so I could just as easily speculate in a similar style about a particular place that is a reasonable distance from the CBD.
Big Engine Mechanic
Favourite Vehicle: My94NCLTDFairlaneTickfordGear

Post by Big Engine Mechanic »

TA3001 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:55 am Port Adelaide isn't exactly a lifeless wasteland in the middle of a desert. It's a relatively dense urban area with a shopping centre, and a bus interchange. Several services terminate here, and there is a depot just south as well.

It also has a railway station, a lighthouse, and many waterways which can attract tourism. I don't think having 2 services a day operated by minibuses would suffice...

Having said this, I don't know a lot about Melbourne PT, so I could just as easily speculate in a similar style about a particular place that is a reasonable distance from the CBD.
It's a ghost town that's been taken over by gangs.
PaxInfo

Post by PaxInfo »

Big Engine Mechanic wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:13 pm
TA3001 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:55 am
Yes it's quiet (midweek) but the National Rail Museum is great.
Are you being served? Service aspects of public transport in Melbourne http://melbourneontransit.blogspot.com & MelbOnTransit on Twitter.
Big Engine Mechanic
Favourite Vehicle: My94NCLTDFairlaneTickfordGear

Post by Big Engine Mechanic »

PaxInfo wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:42 pm
Big Engine Mechanic wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:13 pm

Yes it's quiet (midweek) but the National Rail Museum is great.
Yer, I like that museum.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”