Scania K320UD double decker and Hino Double decker

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
OLYMPIAN
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Victory Mk2, Olympian

Scania K320UD double decker and Hino Double decker

Post by OLYMPIAN »

Hi there

I am planning to visit Adelaide in Feb and like to get photos of the Scania decker and the Hino decker..

Does anyone have idea what route and times do it run?

Also there was a Hino Grandview DD converted as a mobile home and put up for sale in Holden Hill area, has anyone seen that bus around?

Regards
Detroit 6VT92/ZF 4HP500...the best bendi bus power train!
Tim Williams

Re: Scania K320UD double decker and Hino Double decker

Post by Tim Williams »

I will come back to you in early January (prior to a Hong Kong trip!!), but to do mean the 2 x DD's on route service in Adelaide,being a Bustech CDI on J1X to the airport and the Scania/Gemilang, generally on route T840 from Adl to Mt Barker??

Thanks, Tim.
OLYMPIAN

Post by OLYMPIAN »

Tim Williams wrote:I will come back to you in early January (prior to a Hong Kong trip!!), but to do mean the 2 x DD's on route service in Adelaide,being a Bustech CDI on J1X to the airport and the Scania/Gemilang, generally on route T840 from Adl to Mt Barker??

Thanks, Tim.
Thanks Tim,

There was a Hino Grandview DD imported recently and was sold as a mobile home as it was advertised on Gumtree by a seller in Holden Hill.

Hino only built 13 of these Grandview DD and only 3 known example left in the world.
Cordes Express
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M

Post by Cordes Express »

I too would be keen to see photos of the Hino Decker...
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

The Grand View is a coach, rather than a commuter bus. Looks like a 1980s Neoplan imitation.

A few images on Google
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
OLYMPIAN

Post by OLYMPIAN »

Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Olympian,

I arrived back Hong Kong tomorrow morning and will look at the two decker operating times next week.
The Scania Gemilang seems to operate on a fairly fixed roster, route T840 Mon to Fri and another express route at weekends - I live off Glen Osmond Road (the main road to the Adelaide Hills, along which it travels) and the i see the bus at the same regular times, during the day. We can actually catch it in town and alight opposite the Arkaba Hotel (it's first set down stop from town) - both my wife and myself travel on it, if it is convenient!
The Bustech CDI is on the J1X Airport Express, the service. I think it is every half hour and CDI + various single deckers.

Both deckers seem to be very regularly in service and having spoken to someone at a senior level from the Mount Barker (Hills) depot, the Scania/Gemilang is well thought of - pity there are not more coming!
OLYMPIAN

Post by OLYMPIAN »

Tim Williams wrote:Olympian,

I arrived back Hong Kong tomorrow morning and will look at the two decker operating times next week.
The Scania Gemilang seems to operate on a fairly fixed roster, route T840 Mon to Fri and another express route at weekends - I live off Glen Osmond Road (the main road to the Adelaide Hills, along which it travels) and the i see the bus at the same regular times, during the day. We can actually catch it in town and alight opposite the Arkaba Hotel (it's first set down stop from town) - both my wife and myself travel on it, if it is convenient!
The Bustech CDI is on the J1X Airport Express, the service. I think it is every half hour and CDI + various single deckers.

Both deckers seem to be very regularly in service and having spoken to someone at a senior level from the Mount Barker (Hills) depot, the Scania/Gemilang is well thought of - pity there are not more coming!
Thanks Tim for keep me informed

With the axle weight raised to 22t nationally it is a shame still no expansion of DD in Adelaide.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

I plan to contact the bus operators tomorrow regarding double decker operating times@!!
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Hi Olympian,

Southlink, Mt Barker have advised that the Scania/Gemilang DD is out of service awaiting parts, they are not sure when it will return to service - they suggest phoning when you are close to travelling, their no. is 08 8339 7544.

With the CDI, apparantly it is in and out of service a little present - Torrens Transit's Mile End no. is 08 8292 8100 and they also suggest phoning, probably on the day.

Both operators were very helpful and pleasant - shame things aren't good at present, because both buses have seemed regularly in service, up to now.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... ?pid=19961
This was taken near Foodland Frewville, Glen Osmond Road at 3pm on 12/09/18 - with it's top windscreen intact, but with a slightly battered tree guard. The electronic desto was working - just a photo timing thing.
I have spent a lot of money camera lens and cameras (incl Leica, Olympus, Panasonic etc.) and this photo was taken with my Samsung phone - makes me question the need for cameras!!!
OLYMPIAN

Post by OLYMPIAN »

I just dont understand why the bus did not fit with the tree guard like B Lines A95

The damage it has now is even covered by the panel
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Anyone know if 3401 is back in service? As was suggested by "Olympian", it should have the full tubular metal tree guard on both sides and over the front/top - same as NLB AD400's
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

3401 remains out of service and is likely to be for a while!
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

3401 will not be back in service for a little while - it is having mods. done to the top front - it could you with an Alexander Dennis type tree guard.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

One of the Mt Barker driver mentioned last week that the Scania Decker 3401 was at the Aldgate depot - neither 3401 or the Bustech CDI seem to be running at the moment.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Torrens Transit's Decker 1790 has been off the road for nearly 2 months now?
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Not sure about 1790 (Bustech CDI), but I haven't seen it on the road (Airport Run) and when it is not running, it has always been visible from Richmond Road, at the Mile End Depot - now it seems to have disappeared!!

My understanding of 3401 (Scania/Gemilang) is that it has had or is still having some significant modifications done around the top windscreen front area, maybe tree guards, as I suggested to the Minister and also perhaps a two part split windscreen, following yet another broken top screen!
jibb

Post by jibb »

1790 appeared in service this afternoon, evening on J1X service.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Thanks, that's good to hear - now I just need to follow up the status of 3401!!
BusPlaneTrainTram

Post by BusPlaneTrainTram »

Bringing back an old post ... Hoping to be in Adelaide in mid May - are the 2 deckers on set routes please? Thanks.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Yes, both deckers are operating from Mount Barker, often on the T840, but sometimes on our local 861 (Glen Osmond to the City). I feel very fortunate that both of these buses are on my local bus routes - if tonyp ever holidays in Adelaide, I will be very happy to show him the buses and their routes!!!

In the meantime, I will be in Sydney, next weekend, for the London Transport Day!!!!!!
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

On weekends they are also found on route T843, and during weekday peaks the 840X
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
BusPlaneTrainTram

Post by BusPlaneTrainTram »

Thanks Tim Williams for your details on the decker trips.

I waited yesterday afternoon from about 2.30pm for the decker to chance a trip to Glen Osmond. It happened! The 3pm and 4pm from City, and the return trips scheduled for 3.30pm and 4.30pm were operated by 3401 [very personable driver]. Then I guess a 5pm to Mount Barker when it was needed.

Traffic [maybe worse on Friday] made the trip a slog and the driver was working hard to achieve it in under 25 minutes.

I was pleased to be able sit on top, enjoy the view and the experience again; I had been to Mount Barker a few years ago, so did not need the full route trp.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

That's great - I am pleased that it worked out!!

Were all your trips on 3401? - if so, did you pass 3402 (The CDI) on your travels?, because it seems to circulate reasonably regularly.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”