[May/Jun 2018] SA Transport observations

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Re: [May/Jun 2018] SA Transport observations

Post by Merc1107 »

tonyp wrote:Sounds like the Fremantle CATs where people just ignore the no entry signs.
And here was me thinking they're all-door boarding when I worked a shift of them :oops: (Not that it mattered, it was quiet enough bar the last couple of trips, which were full standing).
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Merc1107 wrote:
tonyp wrote:Sounds like the Fremantle CATs where people just ignore the no entry signs.
And here was me thinking they're all-door boarding when I worked a shift of them :oops: (Not that it mattered, it was quiet enough bar the last couple of trips, which were full standing).
I think the no entry signs are there because the buses are/were used on other services. Yes the Fremantle CATs are all-door boarding just like other Perth CATs. All passengers seem to know that intuitively.
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

All the stops from V1 to W4 on Currie Street seem to have been blocked off by ongoing roadworks within the last 7 or so days, occurring from sometime after 7PM (?). Personally I find a nuisance having stops 1 km apart.

Passengers are trying to board on the median strip as a result, with one lane each way. Is it even seen as a disruption, or are the DPTI happy with it due to it potentially giving them less of an incentive to provide the services in the first place?
Route 506
Favourite Vehicle: R.I.P. #582 (1582) 29-12-2008

Post by Route 506 »

I was travelling on 1849 into the City on Saturday and I noticed that the notorious round Stop Buttons appeared to be stuck or just not working again. From where I was sitting in the back half I noticed people try about 4 different buttons and none of them seemed to work.

I was then travelling on 1379 yesterday when sure enough the same thing happened to several buttons which were the same type. Only difference was the Wheelchair space button kept going off (the driver showed great patience!!)

These Next Stop buttons are good for being easy to see, but appear to be really temperamental between getting stuck (then going off randomly) and just not working. I'd be interested to know if a lot of drivers have issues with these buttons, or if it's just case of a bad day!
Now Running Express - Next Stop: City
mmosca447
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202

Post by mmosca447 »

Route 506 wrote:I was travelling on 1849 into the City on Saturday and I noticed that the notorious round Stop Buttons appeared to be stuck or just not working again. From where I was sitting in the back half I noticed people try about 4 different buttons and none of them seemed to work.

I was then travelling on 1379 yesterday when sure enough the same thing happened to several buttons which were the same type. Only difference was the Wheelchair space button kept going off (the driver showed great patience!!)

These Next Stop buttons are good for being easy to see, but appear to be really temperamental between getting stuck (then going off randomly) and just not working. I'd be interested to know if a lot of drivers have issues with these buttons, or if it's just case of a bad day!
I'm not a driver myself but I have noticed the round stop buttons being temperamental on a number of occasions. Especially on some of the Southlink CB80s
PD2/20

Post by PD2/20 »

Heardy_101 wrote:
thedom wrote:Just rode on repainted 3029 rail car...does anyone know if this has a new engine? It was grunting like a Vline velocity when the leading power car this morning, very noticeable and felt like it had faster acceleration. Could just be a mechanical fault though i genuinely believe it was a very different ride onboard.
New engines - the original Mercedes V12s have been replaced with V8s.

Also have new computer systems as well.
There is now a news item and video on the DPTI website relating to the refurbishment programme http://dpti.sa.gov.au/news?a=463445. The scope of the work is described, including bogies, propulsion systems, heating/aircon, couplers and exterior. In the video reference is made to reduction of engine speeds at stations for reduced noise levels.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Spotted at Scania this afternoon rebuilt Scania O-Bahn Artic(minus rear bumper) 1136.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

I personally think that St Agnes should stick to using the rigids after hours, and during quieter times to reduce the number of incidents that seem to almost exclusively involve artics, eg computer failures, engine fires etc.

It was relieving in a way to get a rigid when I caught two track services today. It'll probably be only a matter of time before I personally witness an incident involving one of these near death traps with wheels attached.

Of course, the DPTI could invest some money in replacing the O'bahn fleet, including 542 which is not the most reliable from what I've seen mentioned.
jibb

Post by jibb »

DPTI relies on money from the Government for funds for PT, and I am quite sure that they will not be putting any more money towards new buses, other than what has already been committed.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

The lovely 1778 was finally back on the road last night. First time I've seen it since the third quarter of last year.

I'm surprised that 1775 is still getting around like it is, but it's still in less awful condition than 1780.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Colonnades bus stops have reverted to their original positions after the lengthy yet uninspiring footpath upgrades.
jibb

Post by jibb »

The O-Bahn tunnel will be closed for maintenance next Sunday 24th July from 8am to 700pm. During that time buses will use Hackney Road and Botanic Road.
thedom
Favourite Vehicle: Jumbo (on an express service)

Post by thedom »

jibb wrote:The O-Bahn tunnel will be closed for maintenance next Sunday 24th July from 8am to 700pm. During that time buses will use Hackney Road and Botanic Road.
Or June?
jibb

Post by jibb »

My mistake-thanks for that.
coach driver 1981

Post by coach driver 1981 »

Skexis wrote:Colonnades bus stops have reverted to their original positions after the lengthy yet uninspiring footpath upgrades.
and they didnt even put a shelter up guessing no one will catch the bus if its raining
jibb

Post by jibb »

The final Torrens Transit MAN Midi 117 has been retired-it is now sitting at Transport Department yard at Morphettville Depot.
thedom
Favourite Vehicle: Jumbo (on an express service)

Post by thedom »

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”