Adelaide Trams

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
jibb

Re: Adelaide Trams

Post by jibb »

At last good news -the new tram extensions will commence tomorrow morning. The timetable(same as July 29th issue) is now available in line at Adelaide Metro.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

I have just looked at the new tram timetable and what a "dog's breakfast" it is too. Transport enthusiasts and regular passengers will probably make sense of it - whereas visitors and occasional passengers will not!

The route differences between Mon-Fri is interesting as is the weekend only, half hourly service to the Festival Plaza. As it stands now that modest extension must have cost a fair amount, all for a half hourly weekend service - what a joke. I do hope that the line can be extended to O'Connell St. Nth Adelaide, where it might be useful.

It will be interestingly to see how both these new extensions are patronised.
Mike M

Post by Mike M »

Tim Williams wrote:I have just looked at the new tram timetable and what a "dog's breakfast" it is too. Transport enthusiasts and regular passengers will probably make sense of it - whereas visitors and occasional passengers will not!

The route differences between Mon-Fri is interesting as is the weekend only, half hourly service to the Festival Plaza. As it stands now that modest extension must have cost a fair amount, all for a half hourly weekend service - what a joke. I do hope that the line can be extended to O'Connell St. Nth Adelaide, where it might be useful.

It will be interestingly to see how both these new extensions are patronised.
The new weekend timetable has reduced the service from the hospital & Adelaide Station to the City Centre & beyond by 50% so that mostly empty trams can run a couple of hundred metres down the hill towards the river. It seems to be a case of because we have built we have to use it even though it will only be of any real use when the footy or special events are on.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

I agree with your comments and reiterate that the small Festival Centre stub will only find a real and regular use if and when the line is extended through to North Adelaide.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I must say that even as a transport enthusiast I couldn't take that timetable in at a glance so I've saved it for future study when I have time!

I see the northern stub as infrastructure that had to be done for a future line to North Adelaide, in order not to cause future disruption at the junction, and a weekend role serving the parklands seems sensible use of it for now. Though I think some saving could have been made by just laying the tracks in the ground and then leaving the wiring and platform (and the service) until when they extend it in the future.
marc506

Post by marc506 »

not looking good for the right-hand turn for trams on North Terrace.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... 9c8fa8b502

though I think Labor's idea to hold the govt to the promise is pretty brain dead. They've been proved right on the issue so take the win and move on.

And the govt confirms "it's dead Jim".

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-18/ ... s/10508610
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Our trams here in Adelaide would have take the prize for the scruffiest in the country. It is interesting that original ones arrived here (from Germany) decked out in the wrong shade of yellow, it was too pale and has since faded (further from the correct colour) - obviously poor quality paint!.

Singapore is in the process of taking delivery of 50 Volvo B5LH hybrids with MCV Evora single deck bodies (made and fully assembled in Egypt), a good looking, fully low floor bus. The first few arrived in Singapore in the wrong shade of "lush green", they were promptly repainted into the correct shade of green, before entering service!

The only time our trams see new paint is during accident damage repairs, but I suppose repainting it is not particularly important here, as (nearly) every tram is covered with ugly, all over advertising and as noted previously, all over the windows, as well.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Another thing I have noticed is the Flexities in particular look very dirty,almost as if they are never washed-very shabby looking.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Yes, I totally agree, we took some friends from the country for a tram ride and it was on one the "faded flexities" and we were all amazed how scruffy (incl dirty) the tram on both the inside and outside. The trams are a disgrace and there can be absolutely no excuse for their visual appearance
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

In my opinion, the suburban railcars look even worse in the inverted AdMet livery. The original orange livery was fine in my opinion.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

I'd say the trams are adequate for the purpose they were originally bought for. And I'm not too sure how the report figures that the Citadis trams make up over half the fleet, unless it refers to passenger capacity. In terms of complete tram car "sets", there are 15 Flexities vs 9 Citadis, and in terms of individual cars within the sets, there are 45 of each, being 9x5 car sets and 15x3 car sets.
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Post by Eurostar »

The current tram routes are fine the way they are.

Its time news companies talk about something else, this bitching about right turns is driving me up the wall.
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
marc506

Post by marc506 »

busrider wrote:I'd say the trams are adequate for the purpose they were originally bought for. And I'm not too sure how the report figures that the Citadis trams make up over half the fleet, unless it refers to passenger capacity. In terms of complete tram car "sets", there are 15 Flexities vs 9 Citadis, and in terms of individual cars within the sets, there are 45 of each, being 9x5 car sets and 15x3 car sets.
Also sounds like a way for the current govt to blame the previous one for failing to keep an election promise even though it's one that should never have been made in the first place.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Glenelg tram service is in chaos again,with a signalling malfunction near King William Street/North Terrace shutting down the system. Many services not running, others up to 1 hour late.
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

I gather there were no tram substitutes to account for the disruption?
jibb

Post by jibb »

Eurostar wrote:The current tram routes are fine the way they are.

Its time news companies talk about something else, this bitching about right turns is driving me up the wall.
The department should return Glenelg services to the Entertainment Centre with a 10 minute daytime service(every 2nd peak hour tram to/from Glenelg terminating at RAH stop).
Botanic Garden tram runs to RAH stop only+ less transferring passengers.
Tram Conductor

Post by Tram Conductor »

According to the St. Kilda ( SA ) Tramway Museum Web site , they state that there are no trams running since 27-10-18 . It is just static display until further notice . Would any members know why trams are not running on the museum tracks at this point in time . Over the years I have made many trips to the museum , usually with family or friends and every time it has been a great day out .
Also do any members know where H351 and H352 are currently stored. It would be great to see them back on the tracks again one day. Thank you .
jibb

Post by jibb »

Tram Conductor wrote:According to the St. Kilda ( SA ) Tramway Museum Web site , they state that there are no trams running since 27-10-18 . It is just static display until further notice . Would any members know why trams are not running on the museum tracks at this point in time . Over the years I have made many trips to the museum , usually with family or friends and every time it has been a great day out .
Also do any members know where H351 and H352 are currently stored. It would be great to see them back on the tracks again one day. Thank you .
352 and 351 are stored at DPTI premises at Walkley Heights, as there was no room left at Glengowrie.
Should the Government create a City loop or extend out to North Adelaide, not only would they have to purchase a new and different type of tram but they would have to find land somewhere near or in the City to build another tram depot, and probably a maintenance facility.
Eurostar

Post by Eurostar »

jibb wrote:
Tram Conductor wrote:According to the St. Kilda ( SA ) Tramway Museum Web site , they state that there are no trams running since 27-10-18 . It is just static display until further notice . Would any members know why trams are not running on the museum tracks at this point in time . Over the years I have made many trips to the museum , usually with family or friends and every time it has been a great day out .
352 and 351 are stored at DPTI premises at Walkley Heights, as there was no room left at Glengowrie.
Should the Government create a City loop or extend out to North Adelaide, not only would they have to purchase a new and different type of tram but they would have to find land somewhere near or in the City to build another tram depot, and probably a maintenance facility.
Extend the tramline from Festival Theatre to Blair Athol via Prospect Road. Also why not a tramline running between Glenelg and Brighton via Brighton Road
jibb

Post by jibb »

No way would you put a tramline down Brighton Road,it is an extremely busy day at all times of the day,and at peak hour traffic is hardly moving.
Apart from that you have a very good service on the 263 route,and nearby parallel 265 route is also a busy route with lots of school traffic.
Eurostar

Post by Eurostar »

jibb wrote:No way would you put a tramline down Brighton Road,it is an extremely busy day at all times of the day,and at peak hour traffic is hardly moving.
Apart from that you have a very good service on the 263 route,and nearby parallel 265 route is also a busy route with lots of school traffic.
One of the reasons I suggest a tram line along Brighton Road is that it will encourage people to use public transport and use their cars less therefore reduce traffic congestion. Unlike the 263 which at most times of the day only runs every 30 minutes or hourly on weekends. If you say the road is busy then a tram running every 10 minutes during the day will be alot better, attractive and useful service to the public than the current bus service.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Eurostar wrote:
jibb wrote:No way would you put a tramline down Brighton Road,it is an extremely busy day at all times of the day,and at peak hour traffic is hardly moving.
One of the reasons I suggest a tram line along Brighton Road is that it will encourage people to use public transport and use their cars less therefore reduce traffic congestion. Unlike the 263 which at most times of the day only runs every 30 minutes or hourly on weekends. If you say the road is busy then a tram running every 10 minutes during the day will be alot better, attractive and useful service to the public than the current bus service.
Sorry a tram won't encourage people to use PT on this road-263 is a high frequency service backed up by 265. Most of the traffic on this road comes from Hallet Cove,Sheidow Park,Trott Park and Southern Suburbs headed to City,Western and Northern Suburbs.
This is a totally impractical suggestion of yours.
Put trams where they will be well patronised,and it is practical to do so!
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Albanese continues fight for more trams in Adelaide

https://www.railexpress.com.au/albanese ... -adelaide/
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Eurostar

Post by Eurostar »

boronia wrote:Albanese continues fight for more trams in Adelaide

https://www.railexpress.com.au/albanese ... -adelaide/
As well as focusing on city routes we should be thinking of what suburban routes we could have. For example a tram route between Glenelg and Flinders University via Diagonal Road and Sturt Road

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”