The Confusing Distribution of Timetables

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
runawaybus

The Confusing Distribution of Timetables

Post by runawaybus »

Many of you and I thank you to the observers out there who have noted the version numbers and changes to our Adelaide Metro timetables.

However, how many have you noticed what I call illogical distribution of new timetables.

For example the September 4 2017 changes that was in relation to the new stop and some bus routes being re-routed and one extra City Connector bus being introduced (to ferry passengers from the old RAH to the new RAH because the new RAH apparently has much less car parking than the old one). The City Connector timetable actually did not come out before September 4 2017 it actually came out some three and half weeks after the change and so did the others such as the O-Bahn and hills timetables.

Yes the timetables where did they come out you ask? They came out not at the Info Centres in Adelaide's CBD (where you would expect them to be if you were a tourist or commuter or timetable collector) but at the Tea Tree Plaza and other Info Bars or timetable racks in suburban Adelaide to which the departments reasons were because it was a minor change and that they chose selected outlets to distribute this material. I asked the question where are the exclusive timetable outlets in the suburbs that carry these timetables- so far no answers have been given to which I can assume its "Commercial in Confidence".

Also, I am bemused to the point that I went into the Currie Street Info Centre and yes they were taking a whole rack of timetables and throwing out the old with new timetables (supposedly because they have spelling mistakes etc) however I asked for a M44 timetable as it wasn't on the rack and the person behind the counter came me a timetable dated 25 January 2015! Since then there has been two timetable changes including a September 2017 one!

Here is some more confusion for everyone out there. The 174 timetable has a timed point changed from Stop 17 Payneham Road Glynde to Stop 14 Payneham Road Payneham according to the different version number and the changes in January 2017. However, the 174 timetable has been relatively easy to find if you look hard enough but the 176/178/579 has been illusive and this had the same timed point change but has still the January 2016 changes in it. In other words they confuse the general publish with one route map saying the current timed point and the other having the old one.

I know the governments new policy is Digital by Default, I am reassured that public transport timetables will continue to be printed but in much limited numbers compared to previously to prevent wastage which I totally agree with because some people pick up timetables and then decide they have seen what time there service departs they throw the printed timetable on the ground or in the bin! They don’t keep the timetable for their return journey or future reference.

Is it too much to ask the powers that maybe to understand that the CBD whilst some people might not consider it to be main point where people get there up to date timetables it is the very place you expect to have up to date timetables on there rack or is it a simple case of that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing or is it a case that the Info Centre don't have time to stock the new timetables on the rack.

Who knows what the answer maybe and I look forward to hearing everyone's comments and to provide some constructive criticism.

PS- There is a topic going over on the NSW Section about the lack of STA Region Guides and that also is providing an interest debate.
Definition of Commuter Consultation or even Community Consultation: "We've made up our minds don't confuse us with the facts".
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Re: The Confusing Distribution of Timetables

Post by Eurostar »

Would love to see pocket sized small timetables similar to what we had for TL3 etc or even the ones similar to the previous versions where we had colours for different routes I.e for obahn it was orange
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”