The Random Admet Question Thread

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
Adelaide Hills DD
Favourite Vehicle: Scania K320UB Gemilang (3401)

Re: The Random Admet Question Thread

Post by Adelaide Hills DD »

The update would be released within the next few days if not midnight on the 26th
What even is a bus?
Diesel_MAN
Favourite Vehicle: PMC Buses

Post by Diesel_MAN »

Can buses from depots other than Camden Park be used on 167Cs? 1616 was on a 167C today, but that was a Mile End bus last time I checked. I can think of a few possible explanations, but I don't know if any of them are correct. My guesses are:
1. It happened to facilitate a meal break at Camden Park Depot.
2. 1616 was a last-minute replacement for a Camden Park bus.
3. 1616 has been transferred to Camden Park Depot either temporarily or permanently.
Please leave via centre door.
Please push handle to open door.
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

Buses from any depot could do 167C, could then go to meal break at Camden, or special to Marion to start a J8 or W90, or Glenelg to start a 190 or H20, etc. Could've been a Mile End bus, as 1616 is, as the last trip of its shift before returning special to depot.
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

If 425 can do a J1 at 10PM at night then there's nothing stopping a Port vehicle doing any kind of 167 if it's rostered in the shift. The 425 scenario would have been due to a breakdown or something, and it being the most convenient swap available, but it can still occur.

I haven't seen a single Newton vehicle do a J1 or J2 at all, on Transit Times or in real life. Even one of their 1900s.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Adelaide Hills DD wrote:The update would be released within the next few days if not midnight on the 26th

I'm think it will be midnight on the 26th, as if they are not out by now that is probably the only other logical time to do it. Still, I'm a bit disappointed, I thought a week in advance was a good time, but aparently not.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Douglas
Favourite Vehicle: Denning Landseer

Post by Douglas »

TA3001 wrote:Haven't been on a Southlink bus northbound in peak for a few months, but I don't remember seeing any vehicle continue north via Prospect Rd. The only reason for this deviation is due to the bus only signal at the following intersection.

In my opinion, it's a bit slower. The drivers definitely don't take this route at night.
In peak it can be a lot quicker to go up Prospect and use the B-lights - on more than one occasion I've been on buses that have leapfrogged others that went straight up Main North Road and get stuck in a run of short green lights.

Out of peak, the time difference is probably negligible.
Douglas, Professional Nerd, At Your Service.
Lt. Commander Data

Why were the former 143 and 145/146 buses renumbered and rerouted to the current 144/147 (and ex-148) setup? IMHO the 143/145 made a lot more sense that the current 144/147, especially the 147 because it double backs on itself twice. Why can't it go down Deq Tce to Dulwich AV?
Torrens_5022

Post by Torrens_5022 »

The 147 wouldn't run that way due to the right turn onto Fullarton Road if heading to the City the same way the 144 does, the right turn out of Dulwich Avenue is pretty bad, I've seen buses in the past stuck in the middle median area blocking a lot of the south bound traffic trying to get across.
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

The current arrangement of the 144, 147 and former 148 eliminates 4 right turns onto major roads without the assistance of traffic lights - from Waite Rd into Cross Rd, from Gilles Rd into Portrush Rd, from Stirling St into Portrush Rd and from Dulwich Ave into Fullarton Rd. Furthermore the 140 removes the turn from Grant Ave into Portrush Rd during peak hours. Variable amounts of time spent at these locations making these manouvres meant that the service could not be reliably timetabled, and adds to passenger and driver frustration due to late running or unsafe driver behaviour trying to make these turns.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
Lt. Commander Data

Thanks for that, makes a lot of sense once you know the reason. I thought it was just because they had been the same for a long time (20 years?) and they decided it was time for some change.
jibb

Post by jibb »

In actual fact the original Beaumont to City routevia Grant Avenue began in 1952 when the Tusmore terminus was extended to Beaumont.
The 145/144 route was extended from St Georges to Sun yside Road Glen Osmond in 1963 when diesel buses replaced trolley buses.
pakenhamtrain

Post by pakenhamtrain »

So Ill be over in Adelaide over the Easter week and naturally a bit of transport stuff will be involved. Last time I was there was some 13 years ago so I do know a little bit on some of the sights.
I would imagine the Jet Express decker will be rather easy to find but the other one that spends time on the hills would be a harder one. When does that one roughly one?
Insert 200 characters as signature
Lt. Commander Data

14:40 T840 ex-Adelaide, 15:57 T840 ex-Mt Barker, 17:05 840X ex-Adelaide. There's a few in the AM as well, not sure when these are though. If you have the time is also recommend a ride on the 822 and/or 864.
Lt. Commander Data

Has anyone used the 147 before? I rode the 09:30 ex-Adelaide today, and it was empty. I was just wondering whether it is always like that or whether it's just since the 820/&21/822 came in.
jibb

Post by jibb »

The 147 doesn't get many passengers till the middle of the day,from the City.
As for thinking your 820 has pinched their passengers-forget that.I doubt the 141/141/144/147 will lose any passengers to it!
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Have 444 and 445 been governed to 60? I've caught both of these on 'G22Xs' along Flagstaff Rd in the 80 zone, and I've never seen them do more than 60 kph. I don't know why, but there seems to be one or two drivers at Morphettville who crawl along in this section.
Lt. Commander Data

TA3001 wrote:Have 444 and 445 been governed to 60? I've caught both of these on 'G22Xs' along Flagstaff Rd in the 80 zone, and I've never seen them do more than 60 kph. I don't know why, but there seems to be one or two drivers at Morphettville who crawl along in this section.
To make a valid comparison, you'd need to get the same driver under the same conditions on the same route (but obviously a different bus type). That way you can tell whether it's just that paticular driver going slowly, or the bus. Another way of doing it would be to get the same bus on a different route (with a different driver), and see if the bus gets over 60 then, although I can't think of too many other places in LCBs region where buses go in 80 zones (O-Bahn, maybe Tapleys Hill Rd between Glenelg and Harbour Town, Ayliffes Rd).

I don't see why they'd limit these buses to 60, considering they're going to be removed in the next few years though. Maybe to reduce wear-and-tear?
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:
TA3001 wrote:Have 444 and 445 been governed to 60? I've caught both of these on 'G22Xs' along Flagstaff Rd in the 80 zone, and I've never seen them do more than 60 kph. I don't know why, but there seems to be one or two drivers at Morphettville who crawl along in this section.
To make a valid comparison, you'd need to get the same driver under the same conditions on the same route (but obviously a different bus type). That way you can tell whether it's just that paticular driver going slowly, or the bus. Another way of doing it would be to get the same bus on a different route (with a different driver), and see if the bus gets over 60 then, although I can't think of too many other places in LCBs region where buses go in 80 zones (O-Bahn, maybe Tapleys Hill Rd between Glenelg and Harbour Town, Ayliffes Rd).

I don't see why they'd limit these buses to 60, considering they're going to be removed in the next few years though. Maybe to reduce wear-and-tear?
I very much doubt their max speed is any less than 91kph, but I don't see the point of driving a vehicle that regularly does this run at 60kph in an 80 zone. It's just annoying when one goes out of their way to catch it, skipping other decent opportunities, with the long trip back to the city.

On another note, can a Southlink CB60 L94UB get into 5th gear in a 60 zone? I don't think I've ever heard one do this despite traveling on all of them.
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

1. How can you 'see' a speed? Were you on the bus looking at the speedo, did you have a GPS tracker measuring the speed, or did you drive alongside the bus, or how else do you know what speed the bus is travelling at?

2. I've never known any bus, anywhere, that's used for regular passenger services, to be governed to 60km/h. I've not seen or heard of any buses being governed to less than 80km/h.

3. Flagstaff Rd does not have an 80km/h zone. Some of it is 60km/h, some of it is 70km/h.

4. Flagstaff Rd has a significant slope for much of its length which means buses would rarely travel at the posted speed limits.

5. Have you considered the driver might have been slightly early and therefore could afford to travel a little slower?

6. 445 has had a lack of power for a number of years. Even when it was an O-Bahn bus it was fairly slow to get up to speed.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

I could tell by the revs. They matched those along Goodwood Rd. I know what these sound like at 80kph. This was in the 80 zone in which only this run traverses. This run has approximate listings for the arrival times which mean it can arrive early.

By Flagstaff Rd, I meant Happy Valley Drive. Sorry about that. Got these two mixed up. Anyhow, it's the section with no stops that bypass the eastern section that the other services such as the 320/G20 traverses. On the two occasions I've caught this run on a CNG one (finding 443 on the O'bahn is usually easier), both drivers have done 80kph.
Diesel_MAN
Favourite Vehicle: PMC Buses

Post by Diesel_MAN »

It is possible to tell from the sound approximately what speed a bus is being driven at. I didn't know that 445 was slow to accelarate; I actually thought that it was more powerful than other MAN SL202s when I last caught it, aside from it having a max speed of 91 kph instead of 100 kph like the ones with ZF transmission. Although there's no need to, I can confirm that drivers can and do get up to 80 kph when driving 445. I'd be more interested in finding out whether or not 443-445 can make it up Flagstaff Road quicker than a CNG can.
Please leave via centre door.
Please push handle to open door.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Is anyone having trouble accessing real time info? It doesn't seem to be working for me. Even when trying to see if a 2400 through Church St Salisbury is on time, and these usually come up half an hour in advance.
jibb

Post by jibb »

TA3001 wrote:Is anyone having trouble accessing real time info? It doesn't seem to be working for me. Even when trying to see if a 2400 through Church St Salisbury is on time, and these usually come up half an hour in advance.
Both Adelaide Metro Real Time arrivals and subsequently Transit Times are not available.No explanation as yet on the Adelaide Metro website.
howlerbus
Favourite Vehicle: Diesel Buses

Post by howlerbus »

I couldnt access real time this morning either
You got a real flash bus, but my one's flash one, eh
And I believe that my one's faster than yours, Mr Bond
'Cause mine's a red one'
PD2/20

Post by PD2/20 »

jibb wrote:
TA3001 wrote:Is anyone having trouble accessing real time info? It doesn't seem to be working for me. Even when trying to see if a 2400 through Church St Salisbury is on time, and these usually come up half an hour in advance.
Both Adelaide Metro Real Time arrivals and subsequently Transit Times are not available.No explanation as yet on the Adelaide Metro website.
Service now resumed.

Edit: It's been on and off this afternoon.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”