The Random Admet Question Thread

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
Eagle Eye

Re: The Random Admet Question Thread

Post by Eagle Eye »

The judge and jury wrote:Ok here are a couple of questions I've been wondering what the answer is to for awhile.

Anyone know why the express services on the gawler line run so slow? Are there speed restrictions or they run up the back of a stopper in front due to bad timetabling?

Seems to have been that way since they did the tracks up get ready for electrification.

Any reason trains seem to sit idle for a minute or two at Elizabeth? Same reason as above and have drivers been instructed to do so not that that matters?
The Gawler line timetable still seems to carry running times for trips previously operated by Jumbos. Many Monday to Friday services seem to have a small excess of time, whereas weekend services can be quite tight, especially around Salisbury where no time has been allowed for changing tracks and for loading time at one of the busiest stations.
The judge and jury

Post by The judge and jury »

Thanks. Came across that site in last few days
The judge and jury

Does anyone know what the grids are for on the obahn just before you get to each interchange?
The judge and jury

Thanks eagle eye.

The timetables don't seem to work well and they were changed just recently. Although I couldn't see any changes to the gawler line at all.

The ad met site said changes would be for more capacity whatever that means. Haven't seen any extra carriages on peak hour services if that's what it meant

Also it's ridiculous you can't get an express service to the city from outer northern suburbs to start work at 8 in the morning.

Same in the arvo if you knock off at 4 or something.

So much for flexible working hours.

Hardly worth going on the train if you want to get into and out of the city by 8 and leave at 4 or 4.30. There used to be a 4.19 semi express service
thedom
Favourite Vehicle: Jumbo (on an express service)

Post by thedom »

Having been around the Gawler line for a few years now - i would attest to the reduction of track speed restrictions which have resulted in much fewer delays along the route. ... and the demise of the Jumbos; pox box performance is improving travel times and speed in and out of Adelaide Yard now -trains appear to be travelling faster into ARS in recent months -it would be worth checking the on time running to confirm many trains are running early on most lines -meaning dwell times on expresses at least allow longer on time running the length of the line.
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

Skexis wrote:Might be better posting these questions in the Railpage forum
That's the last site that anybody should be directed to for anything.
The judge and jury

Anyone know why when they recently changed timetables for the obahn due to quicker times from the tunnel and all door boarding they had buses departing later?

Why wouldn't they have departing at same time and arriving earlier than before?

Reason being is the C1 arrives at ELizabeth railway station one minute after each of the three express trains depart there. Crazy

An opportunity to match up bus arrivals and train departures missed. Blinkers on maybe?
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

It's the same with the B10 and outbound 157s. They're often timed to arrive two minutes after the 157 departs stop B West Lakes, whether it's on a weekday or a weekend, particularly at night.

I suspect that this is the case so that they get less boardings and can hence justify more service cuts. The 117 arriving West Lakes on a weekend arrives 2 minutes before the 157 inbound going by the timetable. All favourable towards an inevitable decrease in overall PT patronage.

In short, a win/win for the DPTI, just like with the Metrocard issue, and the gates at Adelaide station which force you to validate for a service you may not even be using.
The judge and jury

Not sure it's the case of getting less boardings on the train TA. Probably yes for the bus.

But it certainly isn't an incentive to catch PT with things like that. Easier to just drive especially when they had the perfect opportunity recently to make a seamless transfer from bus to the more popular express train services if you work at say TTP and live sound Smithfield or gawler.

It's not that far a drive to and from there and very minimal traffic issues
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

The judge and jury wrote:Anyone know why when they recently changed timetables for the obahn due to quicker times from the tunnel and all door boarding they had buses departing later?

Why wouldn't they have departing at same time and arriving earlier than before?

Reason being is the C1 arrives at ELizabeth railway station one minute after each of the three express trains depart there. Crazy
C1 services aren't meant to be railway feeders like the 400-series of routes are. They are probably timed to fit with O-Bahn timetable patterns which means it won't always be possible to connect to a train.
The judge and jury

Still think it's weird eagle eye.

Why would they go to Elizabeth train station and not terminate at Elizabeth shopping centre?

Surely matching bus arrivals with train arrivals makes sense
jibb

Post by jibb »

As Eagle Eye has already stated the O-Bahn is a system within itself and was never intended as a rail feeder service.
Skexis

Re: Fleet No. 700

Post by Skexis »

The Inspector wrote:
BihetM wrote:In the year 2000 there was a bus with the fleet number 700 it was around Elizabeth area, it had either a single door or no door at the back, does anyone know what the make and model of the bus.
There were 2 of these, 700 & 701. They had a double leaf front door only, no centre door & they were new to Serco then moved onto Torrens Transit before heading interstate.

There were another 2 of the same type with Southlink, these came from Perth and had centre doors, they eventualy returned to Perth where they are still in service.

The only other Dennis Dart was new to Whyalla City Transport and had front doors only. Its still in Whyalla but operated By Des's Cabe or whatever their name is as they now operate the town service.
Southlink's 2746 also only has a front door. It's their fourth most useless bus after the three Rosa's.
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

Torrens have seven buses with only a single door at the front: Tindo, Iveco 1373 and Mercedes Benz O405NH's 1320-1324. OK on lightly patronised services, but on busy inner city services (Henley Beach Rd etc) slow to load and unload.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Post by Eurostar »

The Phonj wrote:Torrens have seven buses with only a single door at the front: Tindo, Iveco 1373 and Mercedes Benz O405NH's 1320-1324. OK on lightly patronised services, but on busy inner city services (Henley Beach Rd etc) slow to load and unload.
more ideal for country town services
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
mmosca447
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202

Post by mmosca447 »

Does anybody want to do a last-minute bus tour today? Just ride a few routes around and do a bit of bus-spotting? I know it's super last minute but if anyone's interested that'd be cool
transenthusiast

Post by transenthusiast »

Just wondering what does the B in B10/B12 & the C in C1/C2 stand for cos I've just about figured out all the others: AO - Adelaide Oval, G - Goodwood, H - Henley, J - Jet, M - Marion, X - Express.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Bull---- and Complete bull----. These random alpha numeric route names have no place in Adelaide when they share roads with routes which have the 'old fashioned' names.

It was stupid to invent them in the first place. The only moderately tolerable example would be the J1.

But the current C1 just seems like a random selection by a 15 year old. Maybe it refers to serving stop C at TTP, but that's irrelevant with outbound runs.
jibb

Post by jibb »

TA3001 wrote:Bull---- and Complete bull----. These random alpha numeric route names have no place in Adelaide when they share roads with routes which have the 'old fashioned' names.

It was stupid to invent them in the first place. The only moderately tolerable example would be the J1.

But the current C1 just seems like a random selection by a 15 year old. Maybe it refers to serving stop C at TTP, but that's irrelevant with outbound runs.
C stands I believe for "City".
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Post by Eurostar »

transenthusiast wrote:Just wondering what does the B in B10/B12 & the C in C1/C2 stand for cos I've just about figured out all the others: AO - Adelaide Oval, G - Goodwood, H - Henley, J - Jet, M - Marion, X - Express.
In 2005/2006 "JetBus" services were numbered J1 (Elizabeth to Glenelg via Airport), J2 (Greenwith to Airport), J3 (Fairview Park to Airport). C1 and C2 only ran between Elizabeth/Greenwith to City.
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

jibb wrote: C stands I believe for "City".
Sort of makes sense now, but there's still nothing to indicate that it only serves certain selected stops.

The old T530 name was more definitive, as is T502 rather than 502 which has the potential to be misinterpreted as an all stops service, when it is technically not.
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

Part of the M44 is technically an F bus, but that's not mentioned in the route number either.
Route 506
Favourite Vehicle: R.I.P. #582 (1582) 29-12-2008

Post by Route 506 »

TA3001 wrote:Bull---- and Complete bull----. These random alpha numeric route names have no place in Adelaide when they share roads with routes which have the 'old fashioned' names.

Beautifully put, very much agree with this!

I get that C1/C2 means those services now terminate in the City but so do how many others services...? T530 etc would be far more accurate and less confusing for passengers.

As I have said on here before, to me the F, T and X buses are fine as they represent a difference to a route. J1/J1X/J3 are reasonable as they are Airport services, and I guess same for J7/J8 although they could be classed as cross suburban routes and have their own number.

Otherwise scrap these ridiculous and confusing alpha numeric names and bring back proper route numbers.

I would personally much prefer to have a list of several numbers e.g. 210-218, T219 instead of G10, G10A, G22X, G30F etc as at least you know every individual route number has a slight variation, but easy to follow!
Now Running Express - Next Stop: City
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Route 506 wrote:...scrap these ridiculous and confusing alpha numeric names and bring back proper route numbers.

I would personally much prefer to have a list of several numbers e.g. 210-218, T219 instead of G10, G10A, G22X, G30F etc as at least you know every individual route number has a slight variation, but easy to follow!
You forgot to take the mindset of the travelling public into account. Many of them still miserably fail to recharge their Metrrocards and award themselves free rides simply by carrying on walking to the back of the bus instead of doing the right thing and buying an actual ticket. Multiple route number changes would be far too confusing for them.
homer9000

Post by homer9000 »

the weird bit and i was on a 200 run by an o'bahn bus that continued as a 208 beyond the city was people validating tickets at the rear using the back doors.i thought that only applied to actual track services.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”