What to do & see on Adelaide PT!

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
DanC
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Titan (B15)

Re: What to do & see on Adelaide PT!

Post by DanC »

Thank you very much that Eagle Eye!!! My Sister and her partner are in Adelaide now. I have printed off what you have written and along with a few timetables they will have seen some of your suggestions today!! Yesterday they caught the bus into town and were impressed with a ride and comfort. They are looking forward to riding the O'Bahn! And the enjoyed the Tram to North Tce. I will let you know how it goes. Thank you again.

Dan.
Proud Volunteer at the National Motor Museum at Birdwood Mill.
Proud Member of the Bentley Car Club (SA Inc.)
hillsbus

Post by hillsbus »

While not an Adelaide Metro route, the 800/801 routes traverse into the nearby country parts of the Adelaide Hills and you can see some pretty sights, as well as visit attractions like the Gorge Wildlife Park, Big Rocking Horse and National Motor Museum. Timetables are here:

http://www.linksa.com.au/timetable.html#a
Paul_Nicholson
Favourite Vehicle: Adelaide Worldmasters

Post by Paul_Nicholson »

Any updates? I am spending three days in Adelaide next week.

Apart from a flying visit in 2007, I haven't been to Adelaide since 2005 and then my focus was mainly on the H cars running on the rebuilt tramway.

Paul in Melbourne
DanC
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Titan (B15)

Post by DanC »

No more 'H Class' trams on the line anymore :cry: Read earlier posts by Eagle Eye who gave same great ideas :mrgreen: , and they all would be current still. All rail lines are currently open. But dont miss a trip to the National Railway museum at Port Adelaide and the Tram museum at St. Kilda.

Enjoy your stay!

Dan.
Proud Volunteer at the National Motor Museum at Birdwood Mill.
Proud Member of the Bentley Car Club (SA Inc.)
runawaybus

Post by runawaybus »

If you are looking for something to do on the historic side I suggest travelling to railway stations that still have historical significant railway stations and photographing them with a 3000/3100 or 2000/2100 railcar and look at the surrounds and you will almost certainly see very old houses or even old deli's (yes we still have deli's) or even old manufacturing industries.

The following lines have fairly historic stations:

Gawler Central- Gawler Station

Outer Harbor- Woodville, Alberton and Bowden

Belair- Mitcham, Blackwood and Belair

Noarlunga Centre and Tonsley- somehow someone told me that Brighton, Seacliff, and Marion for modern style design (by that I mean 1960s-1970s style), or even Woodlands Park, Noarlunga Centre and Marino to name a few and even Christie Downs.

Goodwood doesn't rate a mention because it is similar to how it was so many years ago.

Any other would be great if you can mention.

If you go outside the suburban rail boundary you have Mt Lofty, Bridgewater, Aldgate, Rosweorthy, Balhannah, Nairne, Apart from Roseworthy all are accessed by normal Metroticket services. Or if you want Steam/Diesel hauled go to Mt Barker station via a Transitplus service.
Definition of Commuter Consultation or even Community Consultation: "We've made up our minds don't confuse us with the facts".
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

North Adelaide I would consider a historic station as well.
Bridgewater station has no station buildings there.
Last time I passed it; Brighton Station building appeared to be in the process of being either demolished or refurbished; and was largely just the metal frame.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

Outer Harbor Station itself is another great building.

Here's a question hopefully someone can answer: What is actually inside these 'grand' station buildings, i.e. North Adelaide, Outer Harbor, Gawler, Belair, Blackwood, Mitcham, etc. They look like they have plenty of room inside, but I'd guess they were used a lot in their heyday, but remain empty now? I know there is a small room in Belair Station used as a staff meal room, I think Blackwood used to have one too.
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

Lets see... From memory:

Outer Harbor; besides the staff toilets (and being an attended station, open when ships are in at the Harbor), a model railway club have their clubrooms and model layout within the station building.

Alberton has a hairdesser within the building

Bowden is also home to a business (the name or nature of which escapes me)

North Adelaide is empty and available for lease

Gawler appears to still be mostly occupied by TransAdelaide - being adjacent to the railcar depot, it may house staff facilities besides the ticket office.

Mitcham to my reckoning is mostly a private residence

Blackwood has a bus driver meal room, and is fitted out as a kiosk - which appears to be closed now. It may also in part be a private residence.

Belair was burnt down some time ago; the staff facilities that were in there were relocated to an Atco hut (but may have moved back since)

Mt. Lofty is a lodge - you can stay there

Aldgate I think is a community centre.

The buildings may also be used to house signalling equipment - Belair and Gawler both most certainly do.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

Wow, that's a nice variety! Yes, Blackwood's kiosk has closed. I was disappointed to find the kiosk had vacated last time I was there and after a bite.
otto5013
Favourite Vehicle: Scania K320UB -Custom CB80 s.2

Post by otto5013 »

Another "bussy" way to access Cleland/National Park, which i've done and can recommend, is to catch any bus that'll drop you on the freeway just below Mt Osmond, where there's a bridge over the freeway. Then walk up to join the Pioneer Womens Trail/Old Bullock Track(!) and enter the park that way, with a good map of the Park. Then make your way to the Wildlife Park cafe for a well earned lunch. Then walk on up to catch one of the buses that come through from Summertown, along Greenhill Rd and back to the city.. There's only a few so you'll have to do your homework. If you miss them, it's still a great walk down to the 'burbs, if steepish and slip gravelly underfoot. The views are spectacular.
There's a great book that's just been published this year, by Peter Beer and June Boscence, that gives 33 walks around Adelaide and which supplies public transport connections for most of these walks.
That's the way the whole thing started, silly but it's true ...
Busman444

Post by Busman444 »

I'm also in the same boat. When we go to Adelaide we usually catch public transport everywhere, as it's a hell off alot easier than driving. Anyway I'm just wondering if any of the routes that have been explained have been changed. Im aware of the J1/J2 changes. Any others that you need to know about before going?

Help would be much appreciated.
Thankyou.
Adelaide, home to the best buses in Australia!!!
witsend
Favourite Vehicle: Dunns Daewoo CS120 No. 31

Post by witsend »

OK, I need to get a life.

From the top, I have revised everyones information to reflect current services. The original poster is referenced at the start of each block with date posted, however the routes are now correct for traveling post October 2011 changes.

My Picks:
- 753 & 754 on the weekends from Noarlunga Centre. Gorgeous Scenery.
- Any O-bahn bus that traverses the full length. On weekdays, recommend the 541X-546X series, otherwise C1 or C2 :)
- Noarlunga Train - Winner any day, 5:10 & 5:14pm services on weekdays allows you to experince our 2000 class railcars.
- 864 through the Hills.

Note: Gawler Line is closed between Mawson Lakes and Gawler Central. Subsitute buses running until early 2012.

As of 4th October 2011

Emm Kay Vee (4/7/2008)
1. ADELAIDE O-BAHN: The worlds longest, fastest & most unique guided busway. Catch buses M44G, C1, C2, 541X-546X from Stop F2 in Grenfell St, around 150m east of King William St. Every 5-10mins off peak, every 1-2mins on peak,every 15 night, weekends, public holidays.
Can also catch M44 & G40 services along King Williams Street from W2, south of Currie St.

2. GLENELG TRAMWAY: Adelaide's historic tramline running between the city and beautiful coast. Plenty to see & do down at Glenelg. Also, all trams are FREE when travelling within the CBD boundaries, and all the way to the Adelaide Entertainment Centre. Trams between West Tce and South Tce every 7-8 mins during weekday, Trams to Glenelg every 15 mins weekdays & weekends, every 20 mins night. No Heritage Tram Service anymore.

3. HAHNDORF & MT. BARKER: The Adelaide Hills have a reputation for being a beautiful part of the world, and Handorf & Mt Barker are 2 excellent places. The scenic trip up there is wonderful, a great way to spend the day. Catch buses 840F, 860F, 864 or 864F from Stop G2 in Grenfell St, near the Adelaide Arcade Every 30 minutes weekdays & Saturdays, every hour nights, Sundays & Public Holidays

4. BELAIR TRAIN: If you get a railcar where you can actually see out the windows, the Belair train line is a stunning train ride up to the Belair National Park. Possibility of some freight action on the parallel line, with a crossing loop at Belair. Every 30 minutes or so during the day, every hour nights, weekends & public holidays

The Phonj (4/7/2008)
Adelaide Beaches
For Largs catch bus 157 from stop W1 North Tce (opposite the Railway Station) and alight at stop 47; or the Outer harbor train and alight at Largs. Every 30 mins weekdays; hourly nights, Sundays and Public Holidays.
For Semaphore catch bus 157 from stop W1 North Tce (opposite the Railway Station) and alight at stop 44 or the Outer harbor train and alight at Glanville Interchange and have a gentle walk along Semaphore Rd. Every 30 mins weekdays; hourly nights, Sundays and Public Holidays.back.
Glenelg - 263 or 265 services, from stop D1 King William St or the Glenelg Tram (details as above). Buses run every 15 mins weekdays; half hourly nights, Sundays and Public Holidays.

For Henley catch buses on route H30 from stop U2 in Grenfell St and alight at stop 28 Henley Square. Half hourly 7 days a week.
For Grange catch buses on route H30 from stop U2 in Grenfell St and alight at stop 30a Military Rd. Half hourly 7 days a week, or catch a the Grange Train from Adelaide Railway Station, which passes through the middle of a Golf Course on its way. Services are Half Hourly Weekdays, and Hourly at Night and Weekends. (Thanks to Flexity110 5/7/08)

For Glenelg catch bus 263 or 265 from stop D1 King William St or the Glenelg Tram (details as above). Buses run every 15 mins weekdays; half hourly nights, Sundays and Public Holidays.
For Brighton catch the Noarlunga Centre line train and alight at Brighton or bus 265 from stop D1 King William St. Bus and train Half hourly weekdays; hourly weekends; no bus at night.
For Maslin* catch the Noarlunga Centre line train and alight at Noarlunga Centre and change for bus 741 or 749 services. 741 services run infrequently, however a 1km walk from stop 94. Routes 749G and 741 can take you to Stop 97 which is considerably closer.
*Naked bathing at Maslins, a real gunzel opportunity - Beach is clothing optional 500m further south than where the bus drops you off.

Norman - 4/7/2008
823 Service to Mount Lofty & Cleland Wildlife Park, Connects with selected 863 & 864 services at Crafers.

J1R 5/7/2008
South
Noarlunga Train now operating full length after closure for upgrades in early 2011.
681 Services to Marion involve a transfer to a connecting 720 service.
Marion also is home to the State Swimming Centre, access via Noarlunga Train at Oaklands or via 241, 244 or 248 services from City, or via 300 Suburban Connector.

East
Catch a 195, 195F or 196, 196F service from Blackwood Station for a scenic return to the city via Belair Rd, after a ride up the hill on the Belair Train. 190 services do not cover this area if catching from city.

West
Port Adelaide is home to the Maritime Museum, Aviation Museum and National Railway Museum. (Volvo B12BLEA, 9/11/2008) Catch a Train from Adelaide Station to Port Adelaide for a short walk, or catch a 150 service from North Terrace, or a 230 or 232 or 252 Service from King William St.

Flexity110 (5/7/08)
TINDO: Adelaide's electric bus which buzzes whisper-quietly around the CBD and North Adelaide in a loop. Beware of the horn, its *BOMP* -er than a scania and louder than a Merc Artic taking off up the OBahn.

STEAMRANGER, MT BARKER: One for the transport historians: Steam trains and RedHens and whatever else you may happen to see running on selected weekends from the train station, conveniently located at Mount Barker's new interchange. To get there try...

ROUTE 864: Easily the most picturesque bus route in the metro area, you'll go from the city, to suburbia, to the freeway, to the wilds of the hills through little villages, valleys and creeks. Passing through authentic Stirling, Aldgate - home of TransitPlus, and iconic Hahndorf before popping back up beside the freeway at Mount Barker, the throbbing heart of the Adelaide Hills. You could spend a whole day out on the 864 if you got out to explore the various sights along the way, even the direct route is one the nicest hours you'll spend on a bus.

Douglas (17/7/2008)
M44 Route If you have a wife or a teenage daughter with you on a trip to Adelaide, chances are you Gunzelling time will be non-existant. Well, fear not! This bus route takes you to three of Adelaide's shopping centres: Westfield Marion (the largest in the city), Westfield Tea tree Plaza and Golden Grove Village, as well as the CBD. Your credit card bills might not thank you, but your gunzel friends will: while the wife\girlfriend\daughter\whatever shops, you have the time of your life gunzelling! It will even cross the O-Bahn off your to-do list!

MPM 10/7/2009
f you catch a C1 there is a nice view of the city along the Golden Way, then the bus goes to the lovely suburb of Elizabeth

if you catch a J1 to Glenelg there is a good view of the Patawollunga plus you could catch the tram back to town, just mind the sewage farm at west beach (nb. Currently detoured due to Bridgeworks, due to reroute in 2012)

Bus route 559 has a nice view of Hope Valley Reservoir

The 300 Suburban Connector is good if you want to see different areas of adelaide metropolitan area
The 100 covers a different selection, but has been shortened to run between Arndale and Glen via Marion Rd only.

Adelaide Airport - J1 or J2 depart the Adelaide Airport every 15 minutes, they will link you to the City, Harbour Town Shops at West Beach and Glenelg. You will need to change for the O-bahn in the city.

Eagle Eye (10/5/10)
The closest route to Waterfall Gully is the 142 (City to Burnside). You will need to alight at stop 19, Glynburn Road (adjacent Waterfall Terrace), then walk the remaining 4km to the bottom of First Falls (the start of the main trail to Mt Lofty). Waterfall Gully Road is a No Through Road from other bus routes such as the 820 on Greenhill Road, meaning the 142 is your closest option. And remember the 823 only runs from Mt Lofty back to the City (connecting at Crafers Interchange) 3 times a day, so make sure you allow enough time to get your planned trip back!

Still True!

Eagle Eye (1/6/10)
• I don't travel through the Hills too often, especially on PT, but most routes through the Hills (800 series) have good scenery. 823 will take you to Mt Lofty Summit, the highest lookout over Adelaide.
Most of the eastern suburbs have scenic routes, such as the 141 and 142 which elevate near their termini.

• For the coast, the H30 will travel from the City along Henley Beach Road, to cosmopolitan Henley Beach and Grange, then along the lake at West Lakes to the shopping centre terminus. The B12 or 312 will take you around the other side of the lake.

• The J1 will give you a good view of the City and Hills on a clear day near the Airport, then it travels along a scenic Military Road at West Beach, then alongside the Patawolonga River to the seaside town of Glenelg.

• The C1 will North of Tea Tree Plaza Interchange, you will get great views of the northern suburbs from the top of a hill, and even the City (from Golden Grove Road) on a clear day.

• When the rains finally return in autumn, the parched Linear Park turns green again. Catch any bus along the Adelaide O-Bahn (see at the back!) to follow the scenic Linear Park - taking in a plethora of trees, the winding river, bridges/tunnels and a breath of fresh air.

• Some of the southern suburban routes are quite scenic - 749 and 750 series, heading south from Noarlunga Centre. I don't go down that way very often, but the areas these routes go through include rivers, vineyards, sweeping hills in the background and run quite close to the coast in some cases.

• The 195 and 196 routes south of Torrens Park will give you great views of the City, then through some tight Hills streets to Blackwood Interchange. It's almost like travelling through a forest on these routes. They also climb one of the steepest hills a bus route has in Adelaide... some gas buses struggle to make it to the top, and numerous buses have failed the climb over the years!
Last edited by witsend on Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Samuel Wittwer
Posts may not be supported or endorsed by any group that I'm associated with, and normally are my own personal view.
howlerbus
Favourite Vehicle: Diesel Buses

Post by howlerbus »

137 and 139 no longer exist, its H30 now...
You got a real flash bus, but my one's flash one, eh
And I believe that my one's faster than yours, Mr Bond
'Cause mine's a red one'
witsend
Favourite Vehicle: Dunns Daewoo CS120 No. 31

Post by witsend »

Figured I'd missed one or two.
Regards,

Samuel Wittwer
Posts may not be supported or endorsed by any group that I'm associated with, and normally are my own personal view.
Busman444

Post by Busman444 »

Thankyou very much!!!!!!
I can't wait to get back to Adelaide in January (after the kaos).

Thanks!
Adelaide, home to the best buses in Australia!!!
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Reading trough this, I noticed how out of date even the most recent revision (thanks to Witsend) is. Here is the even more revised version as of 25/01/15 timetable changes (just incase any gunsel tourists ever come this way).

Witsend (16/10/11):
- 750 & 751 on the weekends from Noarlunga Centre and Seaford Centre. Gorgeous Scenery.
- Any O-bahn bus that traverses the full length. On weekdays, recommend the 541X-546X series, otherwise C1 or C2 :)
- Seaford Train - Winner any day, all off-peak and most peak services are operated by our newish 400 class electric railcars.
- 864/F through the Hills.

As of 4th October 2011

Emm Kay Vee (4/7/2008)
1. ADELAIDE O-BAHN: The worlds longest, fastest & most unique guided busway. Catch buses M44, C1, C2, 541X-546X from Stop F2 in Grenfell St, around 150m east of King William St. Every 5-10mins off peak, every 1-2mins on peak,every 15 night, weekends, public holidays.
Can also catch 548 & G40 services along King Williams Street from W2, south of Currie St.

2. GLENELG TRAMWAY: Adelaide's historic tramline running between the city and beautiful coast. Plenty to see & do down at Glenelg. Also, all trams are FREE when travelling within the CBD boundaries, and all the way to the Adelaide Entertainment Centre. Trams between West Tce and South Tce every 7-8 mins during weekday, Trams to Glenelg every 15 mins weekdays & weekends, every 20 mins night. No Heritage Tram Service anymore.

3. HAHNDORF & MT. BARKER: The Adelaide Hills have a reputation for being a beautiful part of the world, and Handorf & Mt Barker are 2 excellent places. The scenic trip up there is wonderful, a great way to spend the day. Catch buses T840, 860F, 864 or 864F from Stop G2 in Grenfell St, near the Adelaide Arcade Every 30 minutes weekdays & Saturdays, every hour nights, Sundays & Public Holidays. Note that route T840 does not service Hahndorf. Limited route T840 are operated by the double decker bus! For a more direct route on Saturdays, Sundays and Public holidays, route T843 stops in Hahndorf but beware! it only services limited stops in the City (as does route T840). Limited services are operated by the double decker bus!

4. BELAIR TRAIN: If you get a railcar where you can actually see out the windows, the Belair train line is a stunning train ride up to the Belair National Park. Possibility of some freight action on the parallel line, with a crossing loop at Belair. Every 30 minutes or so during the day, every hour nights, weekends & public holidays

The Phonj (4/7/2008)
Adelaide Beaches
For Largs catch bus 157 from stop W1 North Tce (opposite the Railway Station) and alight at stop 47; or the Outer harbor train and alight at Largs. Every 30 mins weekdays; hourly nights, Sundays and Public Holidays.
For Semaphore catch bus 157 from stop W1 North Tce (opposite the Railway Station) and alight at stop 44 or the Outer harbor train and alight at Glanville Interchange and have a gentle walk along Semaphore Rd. Every 30 mins weekdays; hourly nights, Sundays and Public Holidays.back.
Glenelg - 263 or 265 services, from stop D1 King William St or the Glenelg Tram (details as above). Buses run every 15 mins weekdays; half hourly nights, Sundays and Public Holidays.

For Henley catch buses on route H30 or X30 from stop U2 in Grenfell St and alight at stop 28 Henley Square. Half hourly 7 days a week.
For Grange catch buses on route H30 or X30 from stop U2 in Grenfell St and alight at stop 30a Military Rd. Half hourly 7 days a week, or catch a the Grange Train from Adelaide Railway Station, which passes through the middle of a Golf Course on its way. Services are Half Hourly Weekdays, and Hourly at Night and Weekends. (Thanks to Flexity110 5/7/08)

For Glenelg catch bus 263 or 265 from stop D1 King William St or the Glenelg Tram (details as above). Buses run every 15 mins weekdays; half hourly nights, Sundays and Public Holidays.
For Brighton catch the Noarlunga Centre line train and alight at Brighton or bus 265 from stop D1 King William St. Bus and train Half hourly weekdays; hourly weekends; bus 1/2 hours at night.
For Maslin* catch the Seaford line train and alight at Noarlunga Centre or Seaford Station and change for bus 741. 741 services run every 2hrs or so off peak, however a 1km walk from stop 94. Route 741 can take you to Stop 97 which is considerably closer.
*Naked bathing at Maslins, a real gunzel opportunity - Beach is clothing optional 500m further south than where the bus drops you off.

Norman - 4/7/2008
823 Service to Mount Lofty & Cleland Wildlife Park, Connects with selected 864 & 864F services at Crafers.

J1R 5/7/2008
South
Seaford now operating full length after closure for electrification in 2014.
681 Services to Marion do not involve a transfer to a connecting 720 service but 720 goes via almost the same route.
Marion also is home to the State Swimming Centre, access via Noarlunga Train at Oaklands or via 241, 245 or 248 services from City, or via 300 Suburban Connector.

East
Catch a 195, 195F or 196, 196F service from Blackwood Station for a scenic return to the city via Belair Rd, after a ride up the hill on the Belair Train. 190 services do not cover this area if catching from city.

West
Port Adelaide is home to the Maritime Museum, Aviation Museum and National Railway Museum. (Volvo B12BLEA, 9/11/2008) Catch a Train from Adelaide Station to Port Adelaide for a short walk, or catch a 150 service from North Terrace, or a 230 or 232 or 252 Service from King William St.

Flexity110 (5/7/08)
TINDO: Adelaide's electric bus which buzzes whisper-quietly around the CBD and North Adelaide in a loop. Beware of the horn, its *BOMP* -er than a scania and louder than a Merc Artic taking off up the O-Bahn.

STEAMRANGER, MT BARKER: One for the transport historians: Steam trains and RedHens and whatever else you may happen to see running on selected weekends from the train station, conveniently located at Mount Barker's new interchange. To get there try...

ROUTE 864: (or 864F) Easily the most picturesque bus route in the metro area, you'll go from the city, to suburbia, to the freeway, to the wilds of the hills through little villages, valleys and creeks. Passing through authentic Stirling, Aldgate - home of SouthLink Hills, and iconic Hahndorf before popping back up beside the freeway at Mount Barker, the throbbing heart of the Adelaide Hills. You could spend a whole day out on the 864 if you got out to explore the various sights along the way, even the direct route is one the nicest hours you'll spend on a bus.

Douglas (17/7/2008)
M44 Route If you have a wife or a teenage daughter with you on a trip to Adelaide, chances are you Gunzelling time will be non-existant. Well, fear not! This bus route takes you to three of Adelaide's shopping centres: Westfield Marion (the largest in the city), Westfield Tea tree Plaza and Golden Grove Village, as well as the CBD. Your credit card bills might not thank you, but your gunzel friends will: while the wife\girlfriend\daughter\whatever shops, you have the time of your life gunzelling! It will even cross the O-Bahn off your to-do list!

MPM 10/7/2009
If you catch a C1 there is a nice view of the city along the Golden Way, then the bus goes to the lovely suburb of Elizabeth

if you catch a J1 to Glenelg there is a good view of the Patawollunga plus you could catch the tram back to town, just mind the sewage farm at west beach.

Bus route 559 has a nice view of Hope Valley Reservoir. Direct City services at peak or connect at Paradise from routes C1, C2, M44 or 540 series.

The 300 Suburban Connector is good if you want to see different areas of adelaide metropolitan area
The 100 covers a different selection, but has been shortened to run between Arndale and Glen Osmond via Marion Rd only.

Adelaide Airport - J1 or J2 depart the Adelaide Airport every 15 minutes, they will link you to the City, Harbour Town Shops at West Beach and Glenelg. You will need to change for the O-bahn in the city. Route J1X also operates hourly between 5am-9am and 4pm-8pm, operated by the Double Decker bus!

Eagle Eye (10/5/10)
The closest route to Waterfall Gully is the 142 (City to Burnside). You will need to alight at stop 19, Glynburn Road (adjacent Waterfall Terrace), then walk the remaining 4km to the bottom of First Falls (the start of the main trail to Mt Lofty). Waterfall Gully Road is a No Through Road from other bus routes such as the 820 on Greenhill Road, meaning the 142 is your closest option. And remember the 823 only runs from Mt Lofty back to the City (connecting at Crafers Interchange) 3 times a day, so make sure you allow enough time to get your planned trip back!

Still True! and yet still!

Eagle Eye (1/6/10)
• I don't travel through the Hills too often, especially on PT, but most routes through the Hills (800 series) have good scenery. 823 will take you to Mt Lofty Summit, the highest lookout over Adelaide.
Most of the eastern suburbs have scenic routes, such as the 141 and 142 which elevate near their termini.

• For the coast, the H30 or X30 will travel from the City along Henley Beach Road, to cosmopolitan Henley Beach and Grange, then along the lake at West Lakes to the shopping centre terminus. The B12, 371 or 372 will take you around the other side of the lake.

• The J1 will give you a good view of the City and Hills on a clear day near the Airport, then it travels along a scenic Military Road at West Beach, then alongside the Patawolonga River to the seaside town of Glenelg.

• The C1 will North of Tea Tree Plaza Interchange, you will get great views of the northern suburbs from the top of a hill, and even the City (from Golden Grove Road) on a clear day.

• When the rains finally return in autumn, the parched Linear Park turns green again. Catch any bus along the Adelaide O-Bahn (see at the back!) to follow the scenic Linear Park - taking in a plethora of trees, the winding river, bridges/tunnels and a breath of fresh air.

• Some of the southern suburban routes are quite scenic - 750 series, heading south from Noarlunga Centre and Seaford. I don't go down that way very often, but the areas these routes go through include rivers, vineyards, sweeping hills in the background and run quite close to the coast in some cases.

• The 195 and 196 routes south of Torrens Park will give you great views of the City, then through some tight Hills streets to Blackwood Interchange. It's almost like travelling through a forest on these routes. They also climb one of the steepest hills a bus route has in Adelaide... some gas buses struggle to make it to the top, and numerous buses have failed the climb over the years!

Look at Witsend's post above to see the changes made.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
CityRail

Post by CityRail »

And I believe the J1X double decker also the Hills double decker (route number please) will also be the latest addition to this
Lt. Commander Data

Lt. Commander Data wrote:...
As of 4th October 2011
3. HAHNDORF & MT. BARKER: The Adelaide Hills have a reputation for being a beautiful part of the world, and Handorf & Mt Barker are 2 excellent places. The scenic trip up there is wonderful, a great way to spend the day. Catch buses T840, 860F, 864 or 864F from Stop G2 in Grenfell St, near the Adelaide Arcade Every 30 minutes weekdays & Saturdays, every hour nights, Sundays & Public Holidays. Note that route T840 does not service Hahndorf. Limited route T840 are operated by the double decker bus! For a more direct route on Saturdays, Sundays and Public holidays, route T843 stops in Hahndorf but beware! it only services limited stops in the City (as does route T840). Limited services are operated by the double decker bus!

Adelaide Airport - J1 or J2 depart the Adelaide Airport every 15 minutes, they will link you to the City, Harbour Town Shops at West Beach and Glenelg. You will need to change for the O-bahn in the city. Route J1X also operates hourly between 5am-9am and 4pm-8pm, operated by the Double Decker bus!
Already included
Lt. Commander Data

I also think that routes 835 & 852 are worth a ride, as there is some nice scenery on both routes. Routes 852 takes you to the lovely semi-rural town of Strathalbyn, which is within commuting distance of Adelaide (just). Beware though! To travel beyond Mt Barker, you will need to pay a separate fare. Route 835 will take you up through the Onkanparinga Valley to Lobethal. On the way, there is Woodside, with Melba's Chocolate factory as well.
Lt. Commander Data

Yeah the 866 goes up to Piccadilly m-f and the 865C/S/866R operate along Piccadliiy and old Mt Barker Rds on weekends. M-f approx every 3 hrs, weekends three times a day
otto5013

Post by otto5013 »

Using PT for Walking up to Mt Lofty Summit.
Bus to Bus.

Bus 147 to Dashwood Rd Beaumont terminus. Take the Davenport Track up and over to Waterfall Gully Rd and walk 22mins from here to the lower carpark, 40 mins in total from the bus. The Davenport track can be viewed on " pdf Burnside Walks- City of Burnside".
Walking from the lower carpark and café Utopia takes at least an hour at a casual pace, to get up to the Summit. It's 4kms with a 460 mtr altitude gain to the 720 mtr summit. It becomes very steep 2/3 of the way along the walk.

At the Summit there's a water fountain outside and the café closes 5pm or sometimes 4.30 if there's a function.

The 823 bus leaves 3 times a day from the Summit back to the city via a Crafers connection with 5-10 min wait, at 10.40, 1.40 and 4.40pm ; three hourly intervals.
After these times a walk down to Crafers would be necessary, where lots of buses come through from Hills towns till about 10pm.

If using PT to walk the Yurrebilla Trail between Black Hill and Belair, which includes parts of the Heysen Trail, then the following eight bus routes are the best option for their regularity, starting from the north near Black Hill: 178, H30, B10, H22, !41, 142, 147 and 171. At Belair, the train is the best option.
otto5013

Post by otto5013 »

Best Adelaide Hills bus circuit.

I did a great, two and a half hour Hills circuit on Thursday - around two of our best known parks and through some of the best, historic (old buildings) parts of the Tiers country.

The city 822 bus at 2.30 takes you all the way to Stirling, heading up precipitous Greenhill Rd before turning south at Carey Gully - 15km's short of Lobethal.

The 822 is the only* bus to Piccadilly and the main (Lower) entrance to Mt Lofty Botanic Gardens. Even at the end of summer a lot of these areas, the gullies and back ways are lush and green with ivy and surviving European trees. One day there'll be a weekend service.

In Stirling there's a 15 minute transfer to the 894 that runs around the higher, eastern and southern sides and deeper valleys of Belair NP. The obelisk on Lofty can be seen for a while from near the Upper Sturt shops.

At the Blackwood Station terminus, there's a 10-15 minute wait for the City train, 35 minutes down to Adelaide..

As a Hills PT tour option this route is one of the best.
And Stirling offers a quicker 864 city return down the freeway or onward trips to Hahndorf, Lobethal or Strathalbyn.

* Correction - the 866 also serves Piccadilly and Mt Lofty Gardens as much as 12 times a day from Crafers, weekdays only.
Last edited by otto5013 on Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 10 times in total.
otto5013

Post by otto5013 »

Alberton Station refurbishment

Earlier in this thread there's mention of Adelaide's surviving, historic railway stations - the few.

So the present refurbishment of Alberton Station makes sense. It's one of the best but has been hammered with graffiti. Little damage otherwise. Barber Frank's has been working in the building's south side for a while.

But large numbers of Cruise Ship visitors have been using the Outer Harbor line for a while now, on their way to and from the city. The two or three train sets sometimes fill right up and the PA has told the rest of us further down the line to go catch a bus. Kanga Coaches appear to have helped sort the problem

Alberton's one of the best. It's getting a polish for the visitors. A Chinese chap asked me for details on rents and valuations on the ride into town. Not being big on property the only info I could offer was very ordinary.

◾ wed 1/5: All the scaffolding's gone. Fresh paint job and graffiti removal. That's it. A better look for the visiting cruise passengers.
Last edited by otto5013 on Wed May 01, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Route 506
Favourite Vehicle: R.I.P. #582 (1582) 29-12-2008

Post by Route 506 »

otto5013 wrote:Best Adelaide Hills bus circuit.

I did a great, two and a half hour Hills circuit on Thursday - around two of our best known parks and through some of the best, historic (old buildings) parts of the Tiers country.

The city 822 bus at 2.30 takes you all the way to Stirling, heading up precipitous Greenhill Rd before turning south at Carey Gully - 15km's short of Lobethal.

The 822 is the only bus to Piccadilly and to the main entrance to Lofty Botanic Gardens. Even at the end of summer a lot of these areas, the gullies and back ways are lush and green with ivy and surviving European trees. One day there'll be a weekend service.

In Stirling there's a 15 minute transfer to the 894 that runs around the higher, eastern and southern sides and deeper valleys of Belair NP. The obelisk on Lofty can be seen for a while from near the Upper Sturt shops.

At the Blackwood Station terminus, there's a 10-15 minute wait for the City train, 35 minutes down to Adelaide..

As a Hills PT tour option this route is one of the best.
And Stirling offers a quicker 864 city return down the freeway or onward trips to Hahndorf, Lobethal or Strathalbyn.
This is a great Hills circuit and a real shame that there are no 822 or 894 services run on the weekend (hint, hint DPTI) as I'm sure they would be very popular.

Another Monday - Friday option is to get an 864F to either Verdun or all the way to Mt Barker where you can connect with an 835 to Lobethal. They do only run about every couple of hours but it's a beautiful trip through Balhannah, Woodside and up to Lobethal, and during the day most services will return from Lobethal to either Verdun (834) or right through to Mt Barker on the 835 Route. The bus drivers that I have had on this run are usually friendly and will often have a chat at the Lobethal layover zone, and they are quite often locals who can share a lot of history about the areas.

A shorter but still nice hills loop is the 837 from Mt Barker up to Nairne. There are peak AM services from Nairne to City and from City in the PM, and Saturday the 837 runs about every two hours, but worth doing. Connections can be made at Mt Barker with 864/T840/T843 services
Now Running Express - Next Stop: City
otto5013

Post by otto5013 »

I guess we're going to have a lean run for awhile till things are a little more back in the black. Weekend options for the Gardens would be good.

People already enter at the upper entrance using PT. The Hills are an under appreciated gem but some would say just as well.

The route chosen for the 822 is so good. I know these areas well from Heysen Trail walking since 1982.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”