HISTORY of ADELAIDE - BUS, TRAIN & TRAM ROUTES

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
Member 1633

Post by Member 1633 »

ok now i have more questions :P

1) where is finsbury or what is it known as now?
2) same for greymore

looks like most of those 600 routes barely changed and were just renumbered into what we had until 15-oct.
Route 723F
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UA artic CB60

Post by Route 723F »

What is the history behind the services in the outer south?
Lonsdale depot- serving the south
tone167
Favourite Vehicle: R.I.P. MAN SL200 (1982-2011)

Post by tone167 »

Now, my memory is a bit sketchy, but was there a bus service that operated along the coast during the summer months? The name 'Coastal Clipper' rings vague bells, and I have a feeling it was an older bus (perhaps a Worldmaster) with special livery on it.

I've not seen one in real life, I just have a vague recollection of TV ads for it.
Saab 900 1978-93: The best Scania ever made.
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

Mayor - thanks again - that really does help!

I am getting a better picture in my head now.

Finsbury is Woodville North. I caught the 670 to school. It came from Glenelg up Tapleys Hill Rd, Port Rd, Woodville Rd, Torrens Pde and terminated around Carlton Street, Woodville North. It did service the industrial area of Woodville North (Finsbury).

It was supposed to be an industrial bus, but there was never anyone on it when I got on and full of Woodville High kids when it got to Woodville High.

611/612 was combined to make the current 720 service.

600 became 296, 620 became 241, 630-243, 640-246, 641-247... I can remember that at least!

Graymore - I cannt help you there.

There was a "Coastal Clipper" that ran in the early 80's - I remember seeng the bus - yes, it was older (possibly a Leyland??), was painted in the livery of its sponser, a chocolate milk company (remember Choc Shakes?) and ran during the summer months. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but was it a free service??
The Mayor
Favourite Vehicle: (SA) VOLVO B59.

Post by The Mayor »

History of Coastal Clipper.

The STA commenced the FREE 'Coastal Clipper' service on Saturday 12th December 1980 from SEACLIFF PARK (Seacombe Road / Brighton Road) to LARGS BAY.

The service used 946 Bus and was painted in the rainbow colours of 'Mr Juicy'. Other sponsors were Channel 10 & 5AA. During the 1983 / 1984 operating period the bus was painted in with the 'Choc Shake' logo.

It operated each year during the summer school holidays only (except for Christmas Day). The last day the Coastal Clipper operated was 10th February 1985.

Route Description
From Seacombe Rd, Surf St, Mills St, Brighton Rd, Wheatland St, Esplanade, Wattle Ave, King George Ave, Whyte St, Esplanade, Broadway, Moseley St, Jetty Rd, circle around Moseley Sq, Colley Tce, Anzac Hwy, Adelphi Tce, King St, Esplanade, Anderson Ave, Military Rd, West Beach Rd, Seaview Rd, Terminus St, Military Rd, Bower Rd, Esplanade, Jetty Rd to the terminus just E of Esplanade LARGS BAY.
ALWAYS STRIVING TO MAKE ADELAIDE & SOUTH AUSTRALIAN PUBLIC TRANSPORT THE BEST IN THE COUNTRY
ALL COMMENTS MADE ON THIS FORUM ARE THE EXPRESS OPINION OF MYSELF ONLY AND NOT OF MY EMPLOYER
The Mayor

Post by The Mayor »

:arrow: The suburb of Graymore is now part of Glenelg North. Buses terminating at Graymore usually terminated at the corner of Goldsworthy Crescent / Kibby Avenue.

:arrow: Some services operated along Kibby Avenue and one via Allison Street!

:arrow: Also in the same vicinity was the suburb of St Leonards which was bounded by Adelphi Terrace and Tapleys Hill Road..... hence St Leonards Hotel!
ALWAYS STRIVING TO MAKE ADELAIDE & SOUTH AUSTRALIAN PUBLIC TRANSPORT THE BEST IN THE COUNTRY
ALL COMMENTS MADE ON THIS FORUM ARE THE EXPRESS OPINION OF MYSELF ONLY AND NOT OF MY EMPLOYER
gtc

Post by gtc »

Can you tell me more about the history of buses down King Georges Ave in Nth Brighton? I think you said it was route 23 (no suffix) which became the 266 and since October is now the 265 and 265B?

Thanks!
gtc
The Mayor

Post by The Mayor »

History of buses along King George Avenue, North Brighton:

:arrow: On Sunday 5th February 1939 the MTT's City to St Leonards bus service was split into two routes:

:arrow: The new Somerton route branched @ Anzac Highway / Gordon Street and ran via Gordon St, Partridge St, Scarborough St, Whyte St, Tarlton St, Moseley St, The Broadway, Partridge St and then return to the City.

:arrow: There was no outer terminal appointed but the presence of time recording clock in Whyte Street (todays Stop 27) effectively made that the terminal. Buses displayed SOMERTON on their destinations.

:arrow: There was a 30 minute frequency to both St Leonards and Somerton therefore a 15 minute frequency along Anzac Highway. (sound familiar?)

:arrow: In November 1955 the Somerton service was re-routed (down buses only) to operate via Brighton Road then Whyte Street.

:arrow: In 1962 route numbers were introduced and the Somerton service became Route 23. On Sunday 2nd March 1980 Route 23 was re-routed / extended from Gordon Street via current Route 265 to the terminus @ Kauri Parade, SEACLIFF. This was the first time services had operated along King George Avenue, North Brighton.

On Sunday 1st May 1988 Route 23 became Route 266 and ultimately Route 265 on 15th October 2006. 8)

So in a nutshell buses have only operated along King George Avenue for 26 years! I hope you found this interesting! :wink:
Route 723F
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UA artic CB60

Post by Route 723F »

What is the history of the outer southern routes before 1992, what was the route 700 etc?
Lonsdale depot- serving the south
The Mayor

Post by The Mayor »

History of Routes 722 723 & 733

:arrow: In March 1966 'Premier' commenced a bus service from the City to Thrushgrove Estate (now Morphett Vale East) via South Road, Panalatinga Rd, Bains Rd, States Rd & Malone St the terminal @ THRUSHGROVE ESTATE.

:arrow: At some stage toward the end of 1967 the service was re-routed via Pimpala Road instead of Bains Road and extended to Hackham.

:arrow: By December 1970 'Southern Coachlines' had commenced a City to Cape Jervis via Braeview service which was operating from South Rd via Chandlers Hill Rd, Bluehills Rd, Serpentine Rd, Candy Rd and Main South Rd to Aldinga Beach, Normanville & Cape Jervis.

:arrow: By March 1971 'Premiers' City to Hackham service was operating from South Road via Chandlers Hill Rd, Herrings Ln, Greenwillow Cr, Galway Dr, Tripoli Rd, Kenihans Rd, Robbie Dr, Harris Dr, Braeside Ave, Sauterne Ave, McLure Ave, Ramsey Ave, Graves Ave, Panalatinga Rd, Pimpala Rd, States Rd, Malone St, Playford Dr, Elijah st, Prince Charles St, James St, States Rd, Penneys Hill Rd, Collins Pde & Doctors Rd to the terminus (just prior to States Rd) HACKHAM.

:arrow: In March 1972 the City to Hackham service was designated as Route 700. Then in June the service was re-routed via Bluehills Road. Buses were also timetabled to deviate via Diagonal Road to Marion SC and they showed Route 701.

:arrow: On 1st August 1973 two AM up trips were scheduled to commence from Wheatsheaf Rd / Panalatinga Rd and ran via Panalatinga Rd, Kathleen St, Taylors Ave, Malone St, States Rd, Penneys Hill Rd, Collins Pde, Doctors Rd, States Rd then to the City.

:arrow: On 5th April 1976 some Route 700 services were extended via Main South Road to Aldinga Beach.

:arrow: On Sunday 14th August 1977 'Premier' commenced Route 704 from Hackham to Lonsdale Station via States Rd, Wheatsheaf Rd, South Rd & O'Sullivan Beach Rd.

:arrow: On Monday 3rd July 1978 the STA took over the operation of Route 700 and initially was operated from Morphettville Depot until Lonsdale Depot in 1979. Routes 701 & 704 were discontinued at this time. Route 700 was re-routed & extended to Noarlunga Centre via Beach Road. The route took on the appearance of todays Route 722 except buses still ran via Herrings Lane and not via Elizabeth Road!

:arrow: Route 700 was re-routed via Elizabeth Road on 13th February 1984.

:arrow: On Sunday 20th August 1989 Route 700 was re-numbered as Route 722 and was re-routed via Candy Road & Tripoli Road.

:arrow: On Monday 21st August 1989 the STA commenced Routes 723 & 733 City / Marion SC to Woodcroft via South Rd, Bluehills Rd, Chandlers Hill Rd, Regency Rd & Byards Rd to the terminal just prior to Pimpala Rd WOODCROFT. (Sir James Hardy Way had not been constructed yet and this section of road was still called Byards Rd).

:arrow: From this time Routes 723 & 733 were gradually extended as the suburb grew until finally ending up at Noarlunga Centre / Colonnades in the Mid 90's. Due to the nature of extensions made and the numerous terminals used it is too complex to mention here.

I hope this is helpful. :wink:
The Mayor

Post by The Mayor »

After Midnight services in Adelaide.

Since the early 1980's Adelaide has been provided with after midnight public transport for events such as: New Years Eve, Grand Prix Parties and for about the last 10 years or so on a regular Friday & Saturday night.

:arrow: :arrow: Big deal I hear you all say................ Well does anyone know when public transport operated in Adelaide after midnight regularly and for what reason, before the introduction of New Years Eve services in the 80's?

I let you all know soon........... watch this space!
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

All I can come up with would be during the Second World War; late public transport to get workers home from munition (and other war-related) factories
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
tone167
Favourite Vehicle: R.I.P. MAN SL200 (1982-2011)

Post by tone167 »

The Phonj wrote:All I can come up with would be during the Second World War; late public transport to get workers home from munition (and other war-related) factories
I was thinking the same thing, possibly trains running to Penfield.
Saab 900 1978-93: The best Scania ever made.
Paul_Nicholson
Favourite Vehicle: Adelaide Worldmasters

Post by Paul_Nicholson »

A most interesting thread that reminds me of many trips to Adelaide over the years to ride buses routes - end to end in the approved manner, of course!

My first visit to Adelaide was in the September school holidays in 1959 and the next was at Easter 1967 when I travelled to Adelaide sitting up in a BE car in the second division of The Overland. I returned via the Tailem Bend "pass" and the bus to Pinaroo where I camped overnight in a GB brakevan before taking the VR 102hp railcar to Ouyen where it connected with the Mildura Sunlight to Melbourne. I was 16 and in Form 6 (year 12).

My wife and I spent two weeks in Adelaide in 1977 and stayed at Semaphore. "Commuting" by train was excellent. I expect it was not long before the train service closed.

The buses were very interesting in 1977; plenty of ex-MTT three-door buses that had gone to private operators and had returned to the Government fold but with "private" route numbers.

The privately-operated Sunday morning services in Adelaide were always very interesting and I took some photos of buses lined up outside the railway station. They used to depart at 55 minutes past the hour when the Marshall (MTT terminology) blew his whistle.

Adelaide on a Sunday morning was very quiet in those days. Most people seemed to go to church. Trains and MTT buses/trams did not start running until lunch time.

For a traveller from Melbourne it was hard to get a feed (meal) in and being a bit of a radio gunzel there were only five AM stations to choose from: two ABC (5CL and 5AN) and three commercial (5DN, 5KA and 5AD).

The glorious days of Adelaide three-door buses: the finest that have ever operated in an Australian city.

I trust you have enjoyed reading these memories as much as I have done in sharing them with you.

Paul in Melbourne
The Mayor

Post by The Mayor »

Paul_Nicholson wrote:The glorious days of Adelaide three-door buses: the finest that have ever operated in an Australian city.

I trust you have enjoyed reading these memories as much as I have done in sharing them with you.
I always enjoy hearing stories of people's travels in yesteryear especially when those travels were around Adelaide.

In my 21 years in the public transport industry I have been extremely fortunate to work with and also meet some fantastic employee's and former employee's of the MTT and SAR days. I can sit there riveted for hours listening to these stories about how it was back then.

My most vivid memory of this was back in late 1985 when I was doing 'work experience' at the STA, I had the priviledge of meeting a gentleman who was 98 and who had actually been employed as a boy conductor for (I think) Adelaide & Suburban Tramway Co. What an amazing man he was, unfortunately I can't recall his name.

That is why I started this thread, as I love delving into the history of Adelaide's public transport and I thought it would be great to share mine and other people's knowledge about yesteryear on the buses, trains & trams. I think the younger folk also get a kick out it also. :wink:
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

The comment by Paul_Nicholson of commuting by train from Semaphore reminded me that while on 333/334's last week I noticed quite clearly on Military Rd the letters 'R X' just before Semaphore Rd. Naturally the usual attempts to remove them have been made; but they are still clearly visible.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
Paul_Nicholson
Favourite Vehicle: Adelaide Worldmasters

Post by Paul_Nicholson »

Maybe "The Mayor" might compile a website of the history of the Adelaide bus routes?

Paul in Melbourne
gtc

Post by gtc »

The Mayor wrote:So in a nutshell buses have only operated along King George Avenue for 26 years! I hope you found this interesting! :wink:
Thanks a lot!

Were there after midnight services for public transport workers?

After all they have to get home somehow.
gtc
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Route 881 F/Hill to City via Goodwood Rd.

I was working for the Lewis Bros Group, at the time of commncement of this route (as one of two Group Accountants) and I worked with the regulatory authority (Tom Wilson in particular) to agree the rotue and timetable.

I actually drove the first service to the city, in the morning, on the day mentioned, in a Bedford SB/Freighter, hired from Bridglands - Golden Tours.

Up to that date the only service to F/Hill went via Coromandel Valley & Blackwood and I was very keen to establish a more direct route - actually my initial approach was to route the service via South Rd, but this was unacceptable because of traffic volumes/congestion etc, hence Goodwood Road was agreed upon.

Lewis Bros were often short of buses at peak periods (through charter/tour committments) and it wasn't unusual for the 881 was operated by a hired in bus - Slatteries, Thomas Tours etc.

Tim Williams
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

I could sit and listen to someone all day talk about the history of different routes as well. I just keep thinking why they first started in the first place.

Though, Mr Mayor, I do not think I got an answer to one of my questions. I really liked reading your history of Anzac Hwy busses. But why such funny short workings? And funny short workings on old tram runs? Was it to terminate closer to older bus and tram depots?
jibb

Post by jibb »

I have an STA timetable for Routes 881 and 882 dated 31/8/81.
Route 881 to stop 45 Oakridge Road Flagstaff Hill ran from Victoria Square.9 trips from the city(mon-fri).First at 805am and last at 550pm.
To the city first trip ex stop 45 was 705am arriving in Victoria Sq. at 750am-there were 10 weekday trips.
Route 882 Marion Shopping centre via Miller St.Darlington left MSC at 235 pm-arriving at stop 45 at 253pm.
Trip to Marion from Flagstaff Hill left at 945am arriving at MSC 1005am.
There were also some school runs as well on these routes.No weekend services.
In February 1984 services were extended via King William Street to Sir Edwin Smith Avenue stp 1.Outer terminus was extended to stop 56 Happy Valley -current 218/618 terminus(of most trips).This was a Monday to Friday daytime service with a lot more trips.
The Mayor

Post by The Mayor »

HISTORY OF AFTER MIDNIGHT SERVICES

On Monday 20th January 1941 several private bus operators commenced SPECIAL bus services (under licence to the MTT) to:

Prospect, Enfield & Walkerville
Payneham & Magill
Lockleys & Hilton
Glenelg & Somerton
Wayville West & Colonel Light Gardens
Kensington & Marrayatville
Linden Park, Parkside & Fullarton
Unley & Hyde Park

:arrow: These services waited for the arrival of special Industrial Trains from Penfield & Finsbury which were due to arrive Adelaide Station @ 12.48am.

Then on Tuesday 8th December 1942 the MTT replaced these late night buses with Electric trams and all were scheduled to depart Adelaide Station @ 1.00am.

These services last operated on Sunday 16th July 1944. Adelaide had to wait virtually 40 years to have regular public transport after midnight again!

So Mr Phonj you take the prize! :lol:
The Mayor

Post by The Mayor »

bigrobbo wrote:Though, Mr Mayor, I do not think I got an answer to one of my questions. I really liked reading your history of Anzac Hwy busses. But why such funny short workings? And funny short workings on old tram runs? Was it to terminate closer to older bus and tram depots?
:arrow: I am not entirely sure why there was a myriad of short workings on the old Anzac Highway services.

:arrow: The only tram to ever operate on Anzac Highway was the KESWICK service which operated along the Eastern side of Bay Road (now Anzac Highway) and terminated at the junction of Everard Avenue, adjacent the Keswick Barracks Main Gate. This service opened on 18th September 1918. From 5th March 1939 the KESWICK tram was cut back to terminate on Park Tce (now Greenhill Rd) just east of Keswick Bridge and the terminal was re-named WAYVILLE WEST.

There are many other services in Adelaide that had an odd number of short workings. Here is a few examples of some popular shortworkings that spring to mind:
Route 5A - City to Prospect
Route 9A - City to Glynde
Route 15A - City to St Georges
Route 17A - City to Fullarton
Route 19B - City to Lower Mitcham
Route 20A - City to Greenhill Road
Route 20B - City to Hawthorn
Route 28B - City to Lockleys
Route 29H - City to West Lakes

Of course there are many other shortworkings over the years but these listed were some of the most popular ever used.

I hope this bit of extra info helps! :wink:
J1 Rasberrycoke (J1R)

Post by J1 Rasberrycoke (J1R) »

I used to remember the old night moves pamphlett sitting in the TT holder above the validator.. I used to like the picture of the owl on the front of the cover....

I also remember seeing years back a man SG280 at Gawler station, not sure if it was a train sub or a footy express, what year did they stop the Gawler footy express? Did it start at Gawler or Gawler central. If any one looks they can see a pot hook at Gawler Central and a Hail bus here sign at gawler oval, was this for the footy express or train subs?
First ever passenger on J1 J1C 265 T217 RZ6 RZ8 N224 N122 521 522 173 E1 N206
Last ever passenger 112 124 T255 236 266 282 402 420
on first RZ5
on last 275
The Mayor

Post by The Mayor »

:arrow: What you would have seen around Gawler Oval etc etc is pot hooks for train substitutes. Quite possibly the Artic you saw was doing just that.

:wink:

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”