Coachtrans

Brisbane / QLD Transport Discussion

Moderator: PRT 065

Linto63

Coachtrans

Post by Linto63 »

Back in the early 90s, Coachtrans was the dominant coach operator on the Gold Coast with a large fleet of Austral, Denning and MCA coaches as well as Toyota Coaster midis all registered on xxxCTA plates. I presume the opening of the Gold Coast and Brisbane Airport lines knocked them around, but they seemed to disappear without fanfare. Was there a collapse?
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: Coachtrans

Post by boronia »

IIRC, Sita took them over and rebranded the coaches?

I don't know if they are still there.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
CCCC
Favourite Vehicle: Silvereagle and Scenicruiser

Post by CCCC »

They had a lot of old stuff up there.
They liked their spider rims on the older dennings. or would that be hubs.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

A search for Coachtrans in the photo gallery will bring up a few photos of their coaches
Living in the Shire.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

When Murrays started up in the GC in the late 1980s, they got a lot of Coachtrans' inbound charter work.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

CCCC wrote:They had a lot of old stuff up there. They liked their spider rims on the older dennings. or would that be hubs.
Had a fair bit of new stuff too, plenty of Landseers and Tourmasters. Thought the spider wheels were on the Internationals run by Skennars.
Maladjusted

Post by Maladjusted »

If I recall correctly Coachtrans Depot was at Coomera behind the Northbound Weighbridge.
They started up after the Skennars sell off doing Clarries run to the coast and ended up with a mix of Skennars and Greyhound fleet. They did have at least 2 of the GBW Inters with spiders.
Yes I believe Sita was the next in line.
Who bleedin thanked me? I was just doin my job
CCCC
Favourite Vehicle: Silvereagle and Scenicruiser

Post by CCCC »

Linto63 wrote:
CCCC wrote:They had a lot of old stuff up there. They liked their spider rims on the older dennings. or would that be hubs.
Had a fair bit of new stuff too, plenty of Landseers and Tourmasters. Thought the spider wheels were on the Internationals run by Skennars.
George re sold a lot of non tourmasters up there trying to keep his fleet full of tourmasters he loved so much.
Terra Australis bought one Denning Hiscreen off him which was in Coachtrans livery for many years and George wanted Terra to sell him their ex Deluxe tourmaster.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Noticed in the Surfside disposals list they had about 20 ex Coachtrans coaches (mainly MCAs), so perhaps perhaps part of the business was sold to them. Maybe the Gold Coast Tourist Shuttle business or the theme park express services?
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Correct Linto63.Coachtrans under Sita family ownership sold the theme park express services and the Coomera area school services to Surfside.Gold Coast Tourist Shuttle was another separate business that Surfside purchased.
That left Coachtrans with the rump of the Brisbane-Tweed Heads route services,Airport services from the Gold Coast to Coolangatta and Brisbane Airports and a small coach business.The train basically killed the Brisbane-Tweed Heads services.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

To answer my own question, found this article stating that Coachtrans was sold to Con-X-ion in November 2011 with 18 vehicles, so a lot smaller than in its heyday. https://www.busnews.com.au/industry-new ... coachtrans
Keats
Favourite Vehicle: Comair Bedford SB3

Post by Keats »

Was just going through screen-capping episodes of a local TV show for IMCDb, and came across these Coachtrans vehicles:
7 - bus A.jpg
7 - bus A.jpg (101.26 KiB) Viewed 11433 times
Keats
Favourite Vehicle: Comair Bedford SB3

Post by Keats »

18 - bus B alt.jpg
18 - bus B alt.jpg (239.93 KiB) Viewed 11432 times
27 - Denning B alt.jpg
27 - Denning B alt.jpg (196.1 KiB) Viewed 11432 times
30 - Hino A.jpg
30 - Hino A.jpg (262.93 KiB) Viewed 11432 times
The episodes were shot around the Upper Coomera area in 1991-92.

Return to “Discussion - Brisbane / QLD”