BT Volvo B7RLE Optimus

Brisbane / QLD Transport Discussion

Moderator: PRT 065

^^__^^
Favourite Vehicle: S1989 - Live well poppin' tags

Re: BT Volvo B7RLE Optimus

Post by ^^__^^ »

New B8’s to have double leaf rear doors (similar to 14.5m, finally!)

I’d say given the age of the Scania gassies, Virginia depot will continue to see new buses until they are all gone. Similar to how Sherwood and Eagle Farm had all of their Metroliners and B10l’s retired.
Megumi

Post by Megumi »

Hi, I have a question.
I just noticed that all B7R and B12B of BT are fitted with EEV engine while other operators use Euro 5 engine. Who can tell me why? The offical page of Volvo's B7R was also describing the B7R as Euro 5 standard although B7R has been removed from the website.
Is there any law or tax incentives for cleaner engines?
^^__^^

Post by ^^__^^ »

B7R engine has been discontinued in favour of the newer B8 engine. Yes there are exhaust emissions laws that must be adhered to, at the moment I think Australia currently keeps maybe 1 level behind the euro laws. At the moment the euro laws are on Euro6 emission level. Hence the B7R being discontinued as it no longer meets the emissions regs. At the moment in Australia I believe Euro5 emission standards are enforced by the law. However Euro6 is not yet been fully implemented, though most manufacturers will introduce it on their vehicles anyway ala Volvo selling Euro6 B8’s.
^^__^^

Post by ^^__^^ »

Not to mention the age of the B7 platform. It’s been in use since 1997.
Megumi

Post by Megumi »

^^__^^ wrote:B7R engine has been discontinued in favour of the newer B8 engine. Yes there are exhaust emissions laws that must be adhered to, at the moment I think Australia currently keeps maybe 1 level behind the euro laws. At the moment the euro laws are on Euro6 emission level. Hence the B7R being discontinued as it no longer meets the emissions regs. At the moment in Australia I believe Euro5 emission standards are enforced by the law. However Euro6 is not yet been fully implemented, though most manufacturers will introduce it on their vehicles anyway ala Volvo selling Euro6 B8’s.
Actually, you did not answer my question. I mean why the bus of Brisbane Transport are fitted with EEV engine while other operators have only Euro 5 engine. I know the B7R is discontiuned right now but this issue has been here for several years.
1of55

Post by 1of55 »

EEV is considered Euro 5 plus which means it is a higher emissions standard than Euro 5 but was introduced when Euro 6 was not yet possible.
‘What is perhaps even more remarkable about the foresight shown in the EU legislators’ 1999 emission law announcement was the inclusion of a further non-mandatory emission standard, which could have been called “Euro 5 plus”. But in fact it was given the rather clumsy label of “EEV”, which stands for “enhanced environmentally friendly vehicle”.’
You can read all about it here:-
https://www.automotiveworld.com/analysi ... to-euro-6/
The article was written in July 2010.
I realize this does not answer your question why BT had EEV buses (and nobody else?)
Megumi

Post by Megumi »

1of55 wrote:EEV is considered Euro 5 plus which means it is a higher emissions standard than Euro 5 but was introduced when Euro 6 was not yet possible.
‘What is perhaps even more remarkable about the foresight shown in the EU legislators’ 1999 emission law announcement was the inclusion of a further non-mandatory emission standard, which could have been called “Euro 5 plus”. But in fact it was given the rather clumsy label of “EEV”, which stands for “enhanced environmentally friendly vehicle”.’
You can read all about it here:-
https://www.automotiveworld.com/analysi ... to-euro-6/
The article was written in July 2010.
I realize this does not answer your question why BT had EEV buses (and nobody else?)
Thank you for your detailed answer. I guess that is because the BT orders EEV engine. EEV engine was an optional model while Euro 5 is a standard model.
PoweredByCNG
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O 405

Post by PoweredByCNG »

Actually, EEV (Enhanced Environmentally-friendly Vehicle) was a standard introduced in Europe when Euro III was introduced. Operators who purchased EEV-certified vehicles became eligible for tax incentives in the EU. In the Euro III days (i.e. first half of the 2000s), the only conventional internal combustion engines that met this standard were powered by alternative fuels such as CNG, LNG and LPG. EEV-certified diesel engines did not appear until Euro IV and Euro V engines were released from 2005, a time when industry benchmark alternatively-fuelled internal combustion engines progressed such that their targeted emissions levels were significantly lower than the EEV standard.

Also remember that there are several minor amendments to the Euro VI norm. The latest - Euro VI 'D' - will be enforced as the minimum standard in the EU from September 2019.
Proud owner of ex-Transperth 1042 and ex-Transperth 1114.
1of55

Post by 1of55 »

actually that's what the article said.
'It was back in 1999 that the EU authorities set both Euro 4 and 5 truck and bus emission limits and the dates for their implementation, even though Euro 5 standards were not scheduled to become law for all newly registered vehicles until October 2008.'

Return to “Discussion - Brisbane / QLD”