Luxury cruise passengers forced to wade through water.

Brisbane / QLD Transport Discussion

Moderator: PRT 065

Volvo B12BLEA
Favourite Vehicle: Rail and Ships / Boats.

Luxury cruise passengers forced to wade through water.

Post by Volvo B12BLEA »

Courier Mail Website wrote: Luxury cruise passengers forced to wade through water.
Melissa Ketchell
February 26, 2008 03:35pm

PASSENGERS enjoying the opulence on one of the world's newest cruise liners were forced to wade across a flooded tarmac of the grain terminal this morning as Cunard's Queen Victoria docked in Brisbane.

One dismayed passenger asked a waiting photographer: "Who's going to pay for my shoes?"

Passengers on the Queen Victoria are used to five-star surroundings. The best cabins cost up to $5400 a night. The cheapest are $810.

Betty and John Martin were among those to brave ankle-deep water at the grain terminal.

The West Australian couple said Brisbane's arrival berth could use improving.

"If they are going to have big ships here all the time then they need to get a better place," Mrs Martin said. (Tonight, some motorists who'd driven to Luggage Point to watch the vessel depart were also hoping for a better place after their cars became bogged in the mud).

Like many modern cruisers, the QV is too tall to fit under the Gateway Bridge, so travellers had to disembark into a marquee before making the 30-minute bus trip to Brisbane city.

Carnival Australia's chief executive officer Ann Sherry said if Brisbane were to make the most of the booming growth in cruise travel another terminal had to be built on the Bay side of the Gateway Bridge.

Already Vietnam and other Asian ports were building new terminal facilities in a bid to increase the number of ships visiting their ports.

Today, as passengers on the Oriana disembarked at Hamilton to a modern facility, those on Queen Victoria were greeted with vistas of the grain berth silos and a busy port.

Queensland Tourism Industry Council chief executive officer Daniel Gschwind said the visit was a showcase event for Brisbane and Queensland and more must be done to make a better impression.

"We have to be professional about every aspect of the tourism industry," Mr Gschwind said.

"Portside is a good facility but the reality is some ships won't fit."

"If we don't have suitable facilities, temporary or otherwise, then Brisbane will be left out of scheduling."

Ms Sherry planned to use a VIP lunch with Premier Anna Bligh and Transport Minister Paul Lucas to discuss facilities for cruise ships.

She would like to see a new purpose built facility either at Fishermans Island or on a site adjoining the cement works on the opposite side of the river.

"The scale of what we're doing has crept up on the Government," Ms Sherry said.

The Queen Victoria docked today at the Fisherman Islands container terminal at the mouth of the Brisbane River, about 20km from the city centre.

The berth offered a less than glamorous view for the liner's more than 2000 guests, who travel in luxury with an 830-seat theatre, conservatory with retractable glass roof and grand ballroom.

A new cruise ship terminal was opened at Hamilton, in Brisbane's inner-north, in 2006, complete with shops and restaurants.

But the Queen Victoria - at 90,000 tonnes and 20 storeys high - could not fit under the Gateway Bridge in order to dock there.

Cunard shipping bosses questioned the location of the Hamilton terminal, saying it was built on the wrong side of the bridge to be of benefit to large ships.

Premier Anna Bligh said the terminal's operators decided its location on the basis of commercial feasibility at the time.

"We've now got significantly more numbers of very large ships and it's something that will have to be incorporated in the future," Ms Bligh told reporters in Brisbane today.

"We have a world-class cruise terminal, unfortunately not every ship of every size can access it, but it is something that is seeing ships on a very regular basis and will continue to into the future."

Ms Bligh said there was no indication that shipping companies were considering avoiding Brisbane because of unsuitable facilities.
Any posts are my views or opinions and are NOT on behalf of any Organisation.
PAQ12

Re: Luxury cruise passengers forced to wade through water.

Post by PAQ12 »

When they built portside, obviously they didn't think about such large ships!

Why didn't they build it closer to the mouth, before it gets to the Gateway Bridge? (oh, thats right, Hamilton is where the money is!)
For all your printing needs, think Print Arana - visit www.printarana.com.au or phone 1300 866 593

Formally Known as "BT Buses"
Industry

Post by Industry »

Did anyone happen to get any photos of QV and Oriana on their arrival etc or know of any posted on web
Volvo B12BLEA

Post by Volvo B12BLEA »

Industry wrote:Did anyone happen to get any photos of QV and Oriana on their arrival etc or know of any posted on web
Link to a panorama I made of the Queen Victoria. Made from 3 seperate photos.
QV in Brisbane

Sorry, no pic of the Oriana.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

One dismayed passenger asked a waiting photographer: "Who's going to pay for my shoes?"
Can afford a berth on the QV, but can't afford a pair of shoes?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
T1200
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310 CNG Volgren CR228L

Post by T1200 »

The shoes probably cost a lot more! :roll:

Honestly I don't get why people can spend so much money on that sort of thing.
Reality continues to ruin my life.
Volvo B12BLEA

Post by Volvo B12BLEA »

Something like the QV being as luxurious as it is, it is only the rich that can afford to travel on her. The peple are probably also SKI's....Spending the Kids Inheritance.
These people being so rich, money is not a problem for them.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Because they've got it, and don't want to leave it for the kids/relatives/charity. :mrgreen:
@ The Museum of Fire.
MAN NG313
Favourite Vehicle: MAN NG313's

Post by MAN NG313 »

boronia wrote:Because they've got it, and don't want to leave it for the kids/relatives/charity. :mrgreen:
What I find even worse is that they cashed in from their own parents (aka had something to start on) and then deciding to cash in on both counts is just mean and selfish.

Spending a bit is OK, but don't go out of you way to spend it all up so the kids have nothing.

As for the people having to walk through ankle deep water (which really isnt that deep), :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: x 1000

Many people who live in Brisbane get their shoes wet when they walk through a path that is a bit deep. Why can't they? Also, what do they expect us to have done, but bricks and planks down to form as a bridge to walk on instead?
Volvo B12BLEA

Post by Volvo B12BLEA »

Point being is we have a modern Cruise Terminal but it was built on the wrong side of the Gateway Bridge!!!
T1200
Administrator

Post by T1200 »

MAN 18.310 wrote:Point being is we have a modern Cruise Terminal but it was built on the wrong side of the Gateway Bridge!!!
It's too small anyway for a ship of that size.
davemail66
Favourite Vehicle: E2123

Post by davemail66 »

Industry wrote:Did anyone happen to get any photos of QV and Oriana on their arrival etc or know of any posted on web
I posted a comment last night under one of the earlier photo threads on this topic, there is a link to the CM's gallery with photos of the two ships from yesterday.

Link
Proud to be a Sunshine Coaster...........
V761
Favourite Vehicle: Dennings with Pussies in them.

Post by V761 »

How many times in the next 20 years will a ship the size of the QV visit Brisbane? once? twice? There is no need to build a new terminal, as the one we have is sufficient for 99% of all ships that visit our port.
V761 - The first BT scania I caught.

Down with ' !'

OHMAIGAWDZ00R!!1!11! A T BUS WOZ ON TEH 598!!11!11!!1!!!!1!!11
boronia

Post by boronia »

[quote="G1300"][

What I find even worse is that they cashed in from their own parents (aka had something to start on) and then deciding to cash in on both counts is just mean and selfish.

Spending a bit is OK, but don't go out of you way to spend it all up so the kids have nothing.

Not every one gets rich from their parents, some people can do it on their own.

For most of these people, even 6 months on a cruise ship like this would hardly dent their reserves.
@ The Museum of Fire.
08 XDi

Post by 08 XDi »

BT Buses wrote: Why didn't they build it closer to the mouth, before it gets to the Gateway Bridge? (oh, thats right, Hamilton is where the money is!)
True, that.

Makes sense to put it somewhere that is going to be developed though - you look at places like Circular Quay and compare that to places like Fremantle or Fisherman Islands and you can see why you want people disembarking where there is something to do ie tip money into the local restaurant and shoe-shopping industry.

I think the goverment has its focus right - income from visiting super-cruise vessels couldn't possibly have the economic importance of keeping and upgrading the Gateway and the freight side of the port, rather than building a giant terminal in the middle of nowhere at Myrtletown for blow-in ships that will spend most of their operating years in the North Atlantic.
Elvis has left the building!
Volvo B12BLEA

Post by Volvo B12BLEA »

If Brisbane had a big, World Class Cruise Terminal built on the River Mouth side of the Gateway, Cruise Lines and their bigger ships would no doubt visit more frequently.
The pathetic set-up for the QV has literally resulted in the ship highly unlikely to visit Brisbane again.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

Well now I know what happenned to John and Betty who starred in so many childhood books - one wonders whether Spot the dog was allowed on the liner.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
nick0252

Post by nick0252 »

MAN 18.310 wrote:If Brisbane had a big, World Class Cruise Terminal built on the River Mouth side of the Gateway, Cruise Lines and their bigger ships would no doubt visit more frequently.
The pathetic set-up for the QV has literally resulted in the ship highly unlikely to visit Brisbane again.
OK, do we really need one? This isn't exactly the carribean or Miami here, at least it's not what I see--I'm not saying that I don't like the place ... but we must realise where we stand in the Giant Scheme of things.

<thought break>

Although one could just imagine if the current government built it. It might be done by 2020 and would perhaps accidently burn down twice and probably be closed because someone finds a crack in it and decides it might collapse only to have it re-open a week later. They'd all soon realise they have no way to get the good international guests from The Middle of Whoop-Whoop to the city within any reasonable time-frame on those World Class roads we have -- shame so many non-world class vehicles use them.

So, in a ground-breaking partnership with Mac Bank and any other interested parties we'll get the CruiseTrain! Phan-tastic, in line with private infrastrucutre developments that really should be public in Queensland we'll do it the ad-hoc and non-normal and least direct way possible, just to show off our smart prowess, and connect it in with the Air-Train!

The good guests will no doubt be advised that a $12 fair will apply from the cruise terminal from the airport, and a $12 fare from the airport to egale junction and a $3 fare from eagle junction to the city (after all the QRRS needs there $ too) and the same again on return. This is what the government a ground-breaking public private partnership. So onto there 30 year old EMU they get to train it into the city ... no doubt noting the cruise ship is quieter to travel on then the said train. Arriving at central they see the giant "Want Longer Lasting Sex" poster that is at least 15m long at the back of platform 10, citizens of such class would no doubt be aghast. But that's ok I suppose--no doubt they come from a place even more politically correct then QLD where QR removing that ad is classed as discrimination.

So, off there train they get ... and up the escalater, if its working ... because they so often don't. Just as well they need to loose a bit of weight with all that upper-market food they're eating!! Before being released into the city though they are greeted by the QRRS's (QLD Revenue Raising Squads) team of suspicious looking ticket inspectors that line central station like a guard of honor at a funeral to look them over oddly. No doubt by now they're wondering how many site licences the Tourism people have for Photoshop ... or even wondering if the ship got lost!

And into the city they finally get ... to find well, what they see in every other city. Maccas, KFC and shops. People running around thinking they're important--perhaps a few are, and goths hanging out and the other characters in between the two extremes. If they walk into the right streets they might see one of the few grand buildings left, although for the most part they'll be greeted this half modern crap that will soon enough either fall down or be knocked down and replaced with the latest fad.

The few who have read up might make it to Southbank and perhaps a few more to One Tree Hill. Then it's all over and back to the place with Giant Sex ad to get back to the ship and go to the next place.

It's not that I don't like Brisbane--I love the place. But if I were an International Tourist I wouldn't be coming to Australia to go to Brisbane. They want to see what we're famous for ... spectacular natural beauty and wildlife. They're isn't much of either left in Brisbane. I think our tourist guests would retain many more fond memories of Australia if the cruise ship stopped further up the coast, or Cairns (which I believe it did) or even Darwin ... for some day trips into the Desert!
--->"Ahh, that was in the time of Emporer Nazee Goreing and, it was to keep the rabbits out"
member 1423

Post by member 1423 »

Brisbane is such a bland city - much like the Sunshine Coasts. Good for raising familys but not the best place to holiday.
MAN NG313
Favourite Vehicle: MAN NG313's

Post by MAN NG313 »

Our Governments really make me cry :(

I was reading up on the Paris Metro and Paris itself and from the main airport > Paris, they have a bus every 15 mins ALL DAY EVERYDAY, then a train to all the major stations every 15mins ALL DAY EVERYDAY.

We have 1 train from the airport to Eagle Junction then another train fee to pay to get to a station with a "Giant sex ad" as mentioned above.

Why must our governments be so dumb in what they do? Why?

I can assure you that after this incident, no other cruise ship will even think of coming to Brisbane aka Boganville
T1200
Administrator

Post by T1200 »

Cruise ships to bypass Brisbane
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/stor ... 52,00.html
A CRUISE liner company will take Brisbane off its schedule next year after a visit in which passengers were forced to wade through muddy temporary facilities.

Cunard has announced it has dropped Brisbane from its 2009 schedule, instead opting to dock at Cairns.

The decision followed a visit by the superliner Queen Victoria in February which was forced to dock at the Fisherman Islands container terminal because it could not fit under the Gateway Bridge to dock at Brisbane's Portside cruise ship terminal.

Passengers were forced to wade through mud to reach buses to ferry them to the CBD.

Chief executive Ann Sherry said the company had told the Queensland government a cruise ship facility was needed on the bay side of the Gateway Bridge.

"The ship's not coming in 2009 was absolutely reinforced by what happened in February," Ms Sherry told ABC Radio.

"In fact it's happened before and so it was really already under discussion about whether we'd come to Brisbane and the experience in February this year reinforced that we would skip Brisbane in 09."

She said the government had indicated it was prepared to look at available land with a view to consider its use as a cruise ship facility.

A report released in May by Access Economics, and commissioned by Cunard owner Carnival Australia, found international cruise liners could opt to base themselves in Asian ports if infrastructure bottlenecks at Australian ports were not cleared.

It was particularly critical of infrastructure bottlenecks in Sydney and Brisbane that will exclude larger ships using the cities altogether in coming years.

The cruise ship industry contributed $734 million to the national economy last year.
Roderick Smith

Luggge Point cruise terminal

Post by Roderick Smith »

Roderick.

Brisbane's new cruise ship terminal gets the green light 25 October 2017.
Number of cruise ships coming to Brisbane now 320.
When will work start? Nov 2017.
When will work finish? early 2020.
Cost of project $158m.
Cost for roads, split 50:50 Brisbane City Council and Port of Brisbane Authority. So, $5 million cost to ratepayers or taxpayers. $10m Brisbane will have a new cruise ship terminal at the mouth of the Brisbane River capable of taking the largest cruise ships in the world by late 2019 after it was given the green light on Wednesday.
The new terminal to be built at Luggage Point was immediately hailed as the "new frontier" for cruise ship tourism in Queensland by Treasurer Curtis Pitt.
"This is going to help ports right up and down the coast and cruise shipping is the next frontier in terms of tourism," Mr Pitt said.
More than 320 cruise ships berthed in Brisbane in 2016 and the industry is tipped to be a major growth centre as Queensland’s international tourism figures increase.
After almost 18 months of negotiations, Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk, Treasurer Curtis Pitt and Tourism Minister Kate Jones travelled to the Port of Brisbane to formally announce the Queensland government had given the $158 million project approval to start.
Latest artists impressions of Brisbane's $150 million new cruise ship terminal Photo: Supplied "We are going to see a doubling in the number of cruise ships coming into Queensland," Ms Palaszczuk said.
"This is a great story for the Queensland economy, but it is also a great sign of the government being able to work with the private sector," she said.
During construction 245 jobs will be created and a smaller number of people will be employed to operate the new cruise ship terminal.
Tourism Minister Kate Jones said planners predicted 275,000 tourists would disembark each year after the terminal was completed.
What and when?
•Work at Luggage Point begins November 2017.
•Wharf construction begins mid-2018.
•Terminal construction begins October 2018.
•Terminal is 9300 square metres over two levels.
•Connected to ships with two 'air bridges'.
•large viewing areas over ships entering the port.
•waste at nearby Luggage Point waste facility will be dosed by magnesium hydroxide to neutralise odours.
The cruise ship terminal has been driven by the private sector – mainly by cruise ship companies Royal Caribbean International and Carnival Cruises as a partnership with the Port of Brisbane Authority.
It had been checked and monitored by Queensland Treasury as an idea from the private sector in what was described as a “market-led” proposal.
In February much of the project was confirmed as Royal Caribbean International brought one of the world’s largest cruise liners into the Port of Brisbane to dock.
That month Minister for Innovation, Science and Technology Leeanne Enoch toured the $1.3 billion, 347-metre long Ovation of the Seas, which stopped in Brisbane for the first time.
One of many pools on the pool deck of Royal Caribbean's 374-metre long Ovation of the Seas, which is the largest cruise ship in Australia. Photo: Chris Hyde On Wednesday morning Ms Palaszczuk said work would start in November.
"Preliminary work will start next month," Ms Palaszczuk said.
"Within two years we will be seeing ships more than 300 metres being able to come right into the port of Brisbane," she said.
"This is great news for tourism jobs and great news for the cruise sector."
Queensland Premier Annastacia Pazlaszczuk, Treasurer Curtis Pitt and Tourism Minister Kate Jones announce Brisbane's new cruise ship terminal will go ahead. Photo: AAP Treasurer Curtis Pitt said the project was a private sector intiative.
"This is a $158 million private sector investment, facilitated by the Queensland Government, working to grow our Queensland economy," he said.
Unlike the existing facilities at Hamilton, the new terminal will be able to berth the largest cruise ships now being built.
Tourism Minister Kate Jones said the cruise ship sector of Queensland tourism industry was the fastest growing section of Queensland's tourism market.
"Queensland had more cruise ships last year than any other state and I believe this first-ever mega cruise ship terminal will be a game changer for the Queensland tourism industry going into the future."
Opposition Treasurer Scott Emerson questioned why only two projects - the cruise ship terminal and the Logan Motorway enhancement - had emerged from the market-led proposal pipeline after almost three years.
“We know more than 100 projects have been put forward by the private sector under Labor’s MLP process," he said.
"Just two have made it out the other end."
Treasurer Curtis Pitt said eight projects were being seriously considered.
Meanwhile Port of Brisbane chairman Jerry Maycock said the $158 million investment was part of $500 million that had been invested in Brisbane's port since large infrastructure investors linked with the Port of Brisbane in 2010.
"And we've got plans for a further $600 million to be invested over the next five years," Mr Maycock said.
The Brisbane City Council has agreed to fast-track roadworks, community infrastructure and parklands around Luggage Point as part of the project.
Lord mayor Graham Quirk had previously promised the work would start in early 2018.
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nationa ... 4ywmy.html

Return to “Discussion - Brisbane / QLD”