Woden Bus Interchange - April 1978 & September 2009

Moderator: Busnerd

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Post Reply
mddawson
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:09 pm
Favourite Vehicle: Lamborghini Muria
Location: Canberra

Woden Bus Interchange - April 1978 & September 2009

Post by mddawson »

A photo of the Woden Bus Interchange taken in April 1978 from an unusual angle:
Woden Bus Interchange - April 1978.JPG
Update: I just spent some time trying to find the same angle so as to replicate the shot. I have concluded that it was either taken from a crane positioned in the "Plaza" at Woden or more likely, taken from the MLC Tower.

Here is the same view from the roof of the MLC Tower taken September 2009:
Woden interchange.JPG
Last edited by mddawson on Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
kitkat271
Posts: 3804
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:31 pm
Favourite Vehicle: Double decker buses
Location: Somewhere in Sydney

Re: Woden Bus Interchange - April 1978

Post by kitkat271 »

Great flashback ... amazing how things have changed in that area (just not the interchange itself).

User avatar
Ryan
Posts: 490
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:27 am
Favourite Vehicle: PR180.2 Mk1
Location: Canberra
Contact:

Re: Woden Bus Interchange - April 1978

Post by Ryan »

Wow, that's a great photo!
Get on Board - http://www.actbus.net - Canberra's Transport Enthusiast Website
• Website • Forum • ACTION Fleet Wiki • Gallery • Retired ACT Transport Employees Club •

User avatar
ZIB-585
Posts: 244
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:32 pm
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O305G
Location: Canberra (On route 40)

Re: Woden Bus Interchange - April 1978

Post by ZIB-585 »

Are you sure that was 1978? There are no MANs, Leyland Nationals or Volvos in the picture and I would expect to see them in '78. Woden Interchange opened in 1972, MLC Tower was completed in 1973 (sourced from Wikipedia). If you had said 1973 then I would believe it, but not so sure about 1978.

Interesting to see that the bottom layover area (where Platforms 8, 9 and 10 now are) did not exist. The only layover visible is along Bradley St.
Fully accredited Hino Poncho driver.

mddawson
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:09 pm
Favourite Vehicle: Lamborghini Muria
Location: Canberra

Re: Woden Bus Interchange - April 1978

Post by mddawson »

ZIB-585 wrote:Are you sure that was 1978? There are no MANs, Leyland Nationals or Volvos in the picture and I would expect to see them in '78. Woden Interchange opened in 1972, MLC Tower was completed in 1973 (sourced from Wikipedia). If you had said 1973 then I would believe it, but not so sure about 1978.

Interesting to see that the bottom layover area (where Platforms 8, 9 and 10 now are) did not exist. The only layover visible is along Bradley St.
I quoted what was written on the back of the photo. It could be wrong but its all I had to go by.

User avatar
ZIB-585
Posts: 244
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:32 pm
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O305G
Location: Canberra (On route 40)

Re: Woden Bus Interchange - April 1978?

Post by ZIB-585 »

mddawson wrote:I quoted what was written on the back of the photo. It could be wrong but its all I had to go by.
Could it be a '3' rather than an '8'? I am certain that's not 1978. None of the buses in that photo were around in 1978. If you went to Woden Interchange in 1978 you would see mostly MAN SL200s, Leyland Nationals and one or two MAN SG192s. I'm pretty sure the layover would have been built by then; I'm less sure as to when the footbridge from the Police Station to the back of Woden Churches Centre was built.
Fully accredited Hino Poncho driver.

mddawson
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:09 pm
Favourite Vehicle: Lamborghini Muria
Location: Canberra

Re: Woden Bus Interchange - April 1978?

Post by mddawson »

ZIB-585 wrote:Could it be a '3' rather than an '8'? I am certain that's not 1978. None of the buses in that photo were around in 1978. If you went to Woden Interchange in 1978 you would see mostly MAN SL200s, Leyland Nationals and one or two MAN SG192s. I'm pretty sure the layover would have been built by then; I'm less sure as to when the footbridge from the Police Station to the back of Woden Churches Centre was built.
It clearly says 1978 on the photo.

Post Reply

Return to “Photos - Canberra/ACT”