Collins Grafton

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Car177

Collins Grafton

Post by Car177 »

The copyright owner of these photographs has lost the information due to a computer crash, can anyone inform us as to the identity of these 2 coaches.
I think the straight deck is a Seddon Denning ex Redline.
Attachments
(73-12-13) 1973-08-04002.jpg
(73-12-13) 1973-08-04002.jpg (72.12 KiB) Viewed 14096 times
(73-11-03) 1973-07-21.jpg
(73-11-03) 1973-07-21.jpg (283 KiB) Viewed 14096 times
Denv12

Re: Collins Grafton

Post by Denv12 »

Where were each of these photos take? Were these coaches used on an express service? The first one either has a drivers bunk at the back or a restroom.
Last edited by Denv12 on Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Car177

Post by Car177 »

Looks like the dates are on the captions, no idea of the places.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

Car177 wrote:Looks like the dates are on the captions, no idea of the places.
Thanks Car177.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Very similar to these two Leon Batman photos but I dint think the two above are from Leon.
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... ?pos=-3561
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... ?pos=-3556
Living in the Shire.
Car177

Post by Car177 »

They are not Leon's
VIKing

Post by VIKing »

I think the top photo was taken on the F3 (now M1) north of Hawkesbury River and the second photo was taken at the Maud Street Road overbridge near Hanbury Junction in Newcastle. The large brick building in the background is the Mater Hospital in Lorna Street, Waratah. I was with the same person who took these photos, I am sure these are not mine though.
Collins Coachways were based at Grafton and operated tours (not express services) including camping tours.
Industry

Post by Industry »

Until recently they also traded as Bankstown Coaches
Looselion
Favourite Vehicle: 3 1/2 window Flxible Clipper

Post by Looselion »

My records show that Ray Collins purchased ex-Redline No 77.
No 77 was a Denning build, Body No 145, constructed on a Redline West End re-built Seddon Mark 19 chassis.
A Cummins V8 was installed in the rear.
The chassis received the Denning number ABD4-66.
This coach went into service on Redline's national express network on 4 October 1966. (Rex Law's 51st birthday....)
The image here shows Superior styling influences after they did a front skirt re-build.
There's one particular photo around showing the imprint of a big Roo in the front paneling and R/H headlights area of 77, obviously the result of a highway coming together between the animal and the coach that left quite a lot of damage. This happened during a national Jehovah's Witness charter to Melbourne.
Superior's first complete coach build for Redline was No 83, on a Viking VK43L rear engine chassis conversion.
Ex Redline 83 also ended up with Ray Collins, and I believe still lies derelict in a paddock in Grafton.
The other coach pictured above wasn't associated with Redline.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Here's Redline No 77 not yet 12 months old, participating in a promotional ceremony at the company's Roma Street Brisbane terminal on the occasion of the departure of the 1967 double-header Round Australia Safari Tour.
In white shirt to the right can be seen Rex Law observing the efforts of the then Queensland Minister for Tourism, John Herbert, as he cut the ribbon held by two of the head office accounts staff girls to send the coaches on their way......
Note the TV cameraman to the left.
The Redline organization was at the height of its powers right around this time, with a national express and tours network rivaling its only substantial competitor, Ansett Pioneer, and much larger than any other coach company since. It owned and operated a multiplicity of other associated businesses, including four motels, a wholesale fuels and oils depot, a taxi company, a trucking company and plans were very much afoot to enter the commercial aviation field.
I describe all this in my near to completed book about Redline.
Attachments
No 77 - 1967 Round Australia Tour Departure.
No 77 - 1967 Round Australia Tour Departure.
Redline Round Australia Tour - 2 Coach Departure 1967 - No 77 in Front..jpg (111.17 KiB) Viewed 13876 times
Mr Scania
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Post by Mr Scania »

When Dad bought No 77 ex Redline (The Princess), I believe it was put in to Superior to have a similar front put on as the Centralian Queen.
It was also one of the first coaches to be of the Monocoque design which allowed it to have Thru Bins.
It lived its life at Collins Coachways with a 400 then later a 401 Leyland motor and 6 speed Albion box.
The Seddon Diesel Badge was fixed to the dash. Rego ISS-748 then NV71AK

The second coach is ex Skennars.(Miss Brisbane) It was purchased when the Centralian Queen hit a herd of wild horses. That story has been told on this board previously. Rego ISW-431 then NV81AK

Another piece of trivia is that both the above coaches may have been built side by side in Dennings factory.

As Looselion mentioned Redline No 83 lies derelict in Grafton. I have photos of this coach when purchased in Panther colours.
No motor, gearbox or diff centre but otherwise complete. It was converted to Clydesdale spec with 10 stud wheels and full air brakes. If anyone is interested in the remains of this coach please contact me as it will end up going to scrap.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Hi Mr Scania,
Seems the two builds were in fact concurrent at Denning, with the Skennars unit delivered 13th October '66, just 2 weeks after Redline took delivery of 77.
Mr Scania

Post by Mr Scania »

Denv12 wrote:Where were each of these photos take? Were these coaches used on an express service? The first one either has a drivers bunk at the back or a restroom.

This coach is rest room equipped.
bjg154

Post by bjg154 »

Trying to put together a fleet list from the information available, I have come up with the following:

"Centralian Queen". Need details.

"Miss Brisbane" ISW 431, NV 81 AK. Albion Viking VK41L-Leyland 400 53036L / Denning 141 13.10.66 RC41F
ex Gaylene Tours Birmingham Gardens, ex ISZ 110 Fellowes Swansea Coaches (Southern Cross Safaris) ex PHJ 300 Skennars Coachlines Newstead.
Disposal unknown.

"The Princess" ISS 748, NV 71 AK. Seddon Mk 19/Denning-Cummins V8 ABD-4-66 / Denning 145 4.10.66 C41F
ex (77) PHG 931 Redline Coaches Coorparoo.
Re-fronted by Superior, re-engined Leyland 400 then Leyland 401.
Sold to Ray Hayes, Grafton for farm worker transit accommodation.

ISX ???, ISO 030. Albion Viking VK41L / Denning 74 3.65 C41F
ex (50) NVU 038 Redline Coaches Coorparoo.
Sold to Dynamic Turbochargers Melbourne as race car transporter.

ISY 686. Albion Viking VK41L REC / Denning.
Other chassis and body details unknown, origin unknown.
Sold for motorhome at Tintenbar.

ISV ???, ISE 941. Albion Viking VK41L / Superior 5.67 C41F.
ex Tasmanian Coach Lines, ex (23) Panther Bus Lines Melbourne, ex (128) RKM 606 Barnes Bus Lines Sunshine, ex (83) PHV 380, RKM 606, Redline Coaches Coorparoo.
Still owned by Collins family.

Unused. Albion Viking VK41L REC / Denning 77 21.1.65 C41F.
ex Picnic Point Charter Buses Toowoomba, ex (52) NWA 300, RGK 149, Redline Coaches Coorparoo.
Sold to Hawkins, Brisbane.

Unused. Ford R192 / Watt Bros 4.67 C32F.
ex (80) PHP 691, m/o141, Redline Coaches Coorparoo.
Sold to Rumming, Mackay.

Any further detail to flesh out this list would be much appreciated.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Re:
[Unused. Albion Viking VK41L REC / Denning 77 21.1.65 C41F.
ex Picnic Point Charter Buses Toowoomba, ex (52) NWA 300, RGK 149, Redline Coaches Coorparoo.
Sold to Hawkins, Brisbane.]

Here's Redline No 52 when near new:
Attachments
Redline No 52 - Denning - Viking VK41L REC- Paul Wright Collection
Redline No 52 - Denning - Viking VK41L REC- Paul Wright Collection
Redline no052 NWA.300 (800 x 486 Greyscale.jpg (86.42 KiB) Viewed 13601 times
Mr Scania

Post by Mr Scania »

The Centralian Queen. ISS-744. Seddon Chassis. Superior Body. Built by Ray Collins

The Princess ISS-748 No 77 Redline

The Alice ISX-??? No 50

The Mary K ISY-686 No 53 Redline

The Katherine ISV-??? ISE-941 No 83 Redline

Unused No 52 Redline. Bought from Tiwa Tours sold to Hawkins

Unused No 80 Redline sold to Rumming Mackay.

Miss Brisbane. I believe was new to Skennars. I have photos of it in Skennars colours and also with Collins signwriting with Qld rego.
Last edited by Mr Scania on Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Mr Scania wrote:The Centralian Queen. ISS-744. Seddon Chassis. Superior Body. Built by Ray Collins

The Princess ISS-748 No 77 Redline

The Alice ISX-??? No 50 then 61 Redline ] ***** See below ******

Redline No 50 was a new Denning build, Body No 74, dated 3/65, NVU-038, on a VK41L chassis which was assembled and REC by Redline at their West End workshops. No 50 served under the original fleet number until being involved in an accident at Coomalie Creek, NT, on 9/5/67, with Kevin King at the wheel.
An unknown source has made reference to No 50 being later re-numbered as Redline No 61, which is incorrect.
Redline No 61 was a new Denning build, Body No 105, dated 10/65, NXZ-762, on a Commer/GM 4-53, REC. After being rebuilt following an accident at Chiltern, Vic on 20/6/66 this unit was re-introduced into service as No 74, re-registered as NZU-354.

The Mary K ISY-686 No 53 Redline

The Katherine ISV-??? ISE-941 No 83 Redline

Unused No 52 Redline. Bought from Tiwa Tours sold to Hawkins

Unused No 80 Redline sold to Rumming Mackay.

Miss Brisbane. I believe was new to Skennars. I have photos of it in Skennars colours and also with Collins signwriting with Qld rego.
Just a little revision which I've added in red regarding No 50 which I thought would be helpful to preserve the history.
Mr Scania

Post by Mr Scania »

Hi Looselion

Was Redline No 50 renumbered after Coomalie Creek ?
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

I was never aware of No 50 rejoining the fleet, either under new ID or the original fleet number or reg.
I've once again perused the Redline fleet list and coach builders records and can't find any reference to re-incarnation of this unit after the Coomalie Creek incident.
There was a time when I thought either 83 or 85 may have been a Superior re-build of No 50, but this isn't the case of course as both these units, while like No 50 incorporating Viking VK 43L REC chassis, are undoubtedly original Superior built bodies.
Mr Scania

Post by Mr Scania »

As Ray Collins owned both 50 and 83, that takes care of two of the three.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Your earlier reference to No 50 in Ray's possession is the only info I have as to what happened to this coach after Coomalie Creek....
"The Alice ISX-??? No 50"
Do you have any photos of this unit with Collins Coachways Mr Scania?
If so, we'd have the missing piece of the puzzle.....
Mr Scania

Post by Mr Scania »

Up higher on this post are two photos posted by Fleetlists. The second photo has The Alice No 50 parked behind The Princess No 77.
Mr Scania

Post by Mr Scania »

I asked Ray Collins yesterday about the Coomalie Creek accident and he said that he took the coach back to Denning to be repaired. A book could be written about the events that took place on that trip. He does not recall a number change after the accident.

On seeing the ribbon being cut on No 77 with the office girls reminded him that one of the office girls died in the Whiskey au go go nightclub fire.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

I recently had discussion with someone who mentioned they'd been on a Collins camping trip back in 1979. Were trying to find some photo's, but no luck so far. They joined at Central in Sydney and journey went along east coast to Townsville, out to Katherine, Three Ways, Kakadu, Rankin Springs and back south to Sydney via Coober Pedy and Broken Hill. Driver was Ray Collins and second driver was named Ron. As far as putting a date to the trip he recalls they were in Mackay when the Skylab came down and observing from the camp site. The guys name is 'Paddy' and he was travelling with his wife. Anecdotes he recalled were:
- joing the coach at Central it appeared tired and well travelled, speedo didn't work and other bits and pieces. Had reservation about what lay ahead but says it ended up being the best holiday he'd been on.
- only vehicle problem on the whole trip was a loose fanbelt.
- he remembers Ray offered a 15% reduction on fare for nurses.
- there was a drink storage bin/esky built in the centre floor of the vehicle accessible from inside.
- basic barbeque equipment pulled out at stops compared to Pioneer or other coach groups in camp ground who had wiz bang modern equipment.
- the ladies on the trip noted how Ray wore his overalls at every overnight stop they made, but in Alice he pulled out a well ironed white shirt, shorts, slicked his hair back and went out.

Paddy says he and his wife met an Italian couple on the trip (husband now deceased) and they maintained friendship since that trip in 1979, with the lady Maria coming up and staying with them in Blue Mountains every year.

It was just a name that cropped up in discussion - Collins Coachways - but still fondly remembered by a passenger after all these years.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Speaking of Ray, here he is in 1966 in the green cardigan with Laurie MacBeth in blue shirt, as they came together on their Redline Central Aust Safaris, with an Aboriginal meet and greet.
Laurie was on No 48 and I'm thinking Ray was on 49.
Attachments
Ray and Laurie, Redline Centre Safari Tours, 1966.
Ray and Laurie, Redline Centre Safari Tours, 1966.

Return to “Photos - General/Miscellaneous/Various”