• Advertisement

Are both coaches ex Redline

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)

Are both coaches ex Redline

Postby Industry » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:20 am

Found this photo on the web and was wondering if you knew if both coaches in the photo are from your dad's early days, I think they ere on there way to Binna Burra by the caption
untiredtled.bmp.jpg
untiredtled.bmp.jpg (85.45 KiB) Viewed 2438 times
Industry

Re: Are both coaches ex Redline

Postby system improver » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:51 pm

They look like the ones Glenn posted before, the first having an Ansair body and the one in the distance the austerity body. Does the first one have Day Tours written on it?
system improver

Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Postby Looselion » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:05 pm

Yes, both were Rex's vehicles.

In fact, they were at that time - approximately 1950 - operating under the 'Rex Law Bus Service' banner.

The picture was taken at Canungra Creek after a summer downpour washed out the bridge.

The nearest KS5 Inter, on the Canungra side of the creek, was either No 3, 4 or 6, each of these being ex-Pioneer Tours Ansair 'Roadcruisers.'

And as SI notes, the bus on the other (O'Reilly's Guest House) side was one of the austerity bodied Inters, in fact No 2. It can be identified as such because Rex never had No 1 painted in his colours and it remained in the military drab finish.

The signwriting above the windscreens read:

Day Tours
Lamington National Park

I'll attach a current shot of the same location, thanks to Google Maps.
Attachments
Canungra_Creek_Bridge (800 x 554).jpg
Canungra Creek Bridge - 2015
Canungra_Creek_Bridge (800 x 554).jpg (130.34 KiB) Viewed 2388 times
Last edited by Looselion on Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Looselion

Favourite Vehicle: 3 1/2 window Flxible Clipper

Postby Bedford-29 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:42 pm

If its okay with Looselion I went through and pulled these off the other thread which might answer with one bus on one side and the other bus on the other of the creek.
Attachments
Canungra Creek Bridge Out.jpg
CANUNGRA CREEK BRIDGE OUT
Redline International KS5 O'Reilly's run.jpg
REDLINE INTERNATIONAL KS5 O`REILLY`S RUN
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
Bedford-29

Postby Looselion » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:38 pm

Yes B29, this looks to be the same occasion, viewed from the O'Reilly's side of the creek.

(In the second photo - taken up the mountain in the rain-forest not far from the guest house - the bloke third from the left is none other than Bernard O'Reilly himself.)

As I've noted elsewhere, there was no bridge at all when Rex commenced his licensed operations to O'Reilly's Guest House, the crossing being dealt with by way of a creek ford, which presented no particular difficulty other than during the summer high rainfall periods.

He had to learn quickly, which led to the summer-time placement of the little austerity Inter on the O'Reilly's side, along with adding an ex-military amphibious Jeep into the mix. The multiple weekly services always departed, no matter what, and rarely were there any that didn't get through. I've no doubt that many other operators would have simply cancelled services on the basis of 'impassable creek crossing' or 'bridge out,' not to mention other operational obstacles he had to face.

I've described these early years and his innovative never-say-die approach to getting the passengers and Royal Mail through in my forthcoming book, now tentatively titled "Rex Law's Redline - Australia's Biggest Little Bus Company."
Looselion

Favourite Vehicle: 3 1/2 window Flxible Clipper

• Advertisement

Return to Photos - General/Miscellaneous/Various