Page 2 of 5

Re: Denning buses and coaches:assorted photos.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:05 pm
by RJHIII
1 of the Volgren Twin Decks (from memory they had 2) was left in a service station on woodville rd in Sydney after it had alternator problems, When the drivers returned to the coach it had been badly damaged almost gutted with the TV's removed and seats and carpets destroyed

Re: Denning buses and coaches:assorted photos.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:41 pm
by Denv12
RJHIII wrote:1 of the Volgren Twin Decks (from memory they had 2) was left in a service station on woodville rd in Sydney after it had alternator problems, When the drivers returned to the coach it had been badly damaged almost gutted with the TV's removed and seats and carpets destroyed


What year was that? It sounds like something I remember that happened in 1986.

One of the Twin Decks was losing engine oil on its way from Melbourne to Sydney one night.We caught up with the drivers while we were in our coach at Albury.

Re: Denning buses and coaches:assorted photos.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:34 pm
by Denv12
A real old Denning photo.

Re: Denning buses and coaches:assorted photos.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:59 am
by Maladjusted
In the advert third picture down on previous Page 1 for the prototype coach, it lists the salesmen for Denning. I could be wrong but I believe Dick White is the young driver in the shot posted later on with the Greyhound following behind.

Re: Denning buses and coaches:a history in photos.Part 1.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:53 am
by Denv12
The other Dennings........

Re: Denning buses and coaches:assorted photos.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:27 am
by stevegj52
Denv12 wrote:A real old Denning photo.

The TBCS Tasmania are restoring a Denning AEC as in the second B/W photo which is also ex Greyhound.

Re: Denning buses and coaches:a history in photos.Part 1.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:15 pm
by stevegj52
MAXWELLS AEC 4.jpg
The former Skinny Dog AEC Denning that I mentioned above which the TBCS is restoring. Coach was donated by Dennis Maxwell
MAXWELLS AEC 4.jpg (251.44 KiB) Viewed 9914 times

Re: Denning buses and coaches:a history in photos.Part 1.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:21 pm
by Denv12
stevegj52 wrote:
MAXWELLS AEC 4.jpg


I hope they can go through with it.Its a unique bit of history.Can anyone contribute anything to help with the restoration?

Re: Denning buses and coaches:a history in photos.Part 1.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:52 pm
by stevegj52
Denv12 wrote:
stevegj52 wrote:
MAXWELLS AEC 4.jpg


I hope they can go through with it.Its a unique bit of history.



The coach is now under cover at TBCS head quarters in Hobart. The inside is in good condition. In 2011 we actually went for a spin around the paddock it was sitting in for 15 years , the old motor fired up on the first start after new batteries were fitted and did the same after a 2 years a couple weeks ago when the society went to collect it and it was driven up onto the semi for transport to Hobart. Check out www.face book.com/tbcs134.

Re: Denning buses and coaches:a history in photos.Part 1.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:38 pm
by captainch
wonder if there is a grant they could get from the gov't to preserve a great piece of history..............employ unemployed body builders ,apprentices for moter.painters ect worth a try see your local member as unemployment is rife in tassie and maybe a few coach companys to sponcer them as well! :roll:

Re: Denning buses and coaches:a history in photos.Part 1.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:04 am
by Denv12
captainch wrote:wonder if there is a grant they could get from the gov't to preserve a great piece of history..............employ unemployed body builders ,apprentices for moter.painters ect worth a try see your local member as unemployment is rife in tassie and maybe a few coach companys to sponcer them as well! :roll:


I like the idea.There would be plenty of people who would love to be a part of this restoration.Funding would be great.

Re: Denning buses and coaches:a history in photos.Part 1.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:01 am
by Denv12
This is what Denning history is all about.Can anyone else contribute similar adverts?

Re: Denning buses and coaches:a history in photos.Part 1.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:15 pm
by Tas Bus Nut
captainch wrote:wonder if there is a grant they could get from the gov't to preserve a great piece of history..............employ unemployed body builders ,apprentices for moter.painters ect worth a try see your local member as unemployment is rife in tassie and maybe a few coach companys to sponcer them as well! :roll:


Firstly, thanks stevegj52 for bringing this to the attention of the forum. captainch, eventually we WILL formulate a GRANT application for restoration. A couple of minor motor problems to repair first. When we picked it up, the wire from the starter switch > starter broke (needs replacing), the engine stopper ROD broke and stuck in off position (needs replacing) and the slave cylinder is beyond repair, so needs a new slave cylinder for the clutch. We have a small group of professionals within the TBCS that will be an asset in restoration, likewise Tasmania's own Redline have offered to PAINT the bus, once it's ready for that. So early stages at the moment, but will keep the forum up-to-date with it's progress. Cheers tas bus nut

Re: Denning buses and coaches:a history in photos.Part 1.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:00 pm
by Denv12
A variety of adverts.

Re: Denning buses and coaches:a history in photos.Part 1.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:11 pm
by Looselion
Just a quick note in relation to the plans for restoration of the ex Greyhound Denning AEC coach donated by Maxwells.
This will be a wonderful project for many reasons as mentioned, but I just wanted to ensure there's no likelihood of the reader linking the two photos above as being the same vehicle.
Just to be sure there's no confusion, the B&W Greyhound photo is a Denning Commer introduced into the fleet as No 47 in 1961. The conversion of the standard Avenger chassis to rear engine/forward control was facilitated by Doug Herron of Balmoral Engineering in Brisbane, who in conjunction with Rex Law had become an early pioneer of such modifications.
Greyhound No 47 was used in Russ Penfold's second unsuccessful foray into interstate express passenger operations in 1962, with services between Brisbane and Sydney, as was the case with his first similarly unsuccessful attempt in 1957 using a Hedges bodied standard Commer Avenger, fleet No 36.
Greyhound No 47 incorporated a number of American styling features taken on board by Russ Penfold Snr and Jnr after they had undertaken a prior study trip to the USA.
The ex Maxwells Denning/AEC also incorporated some of the same features.
Note: I thank pauwri, whose father worked for Greyhound for many years, for much historic information regarding their early years that he has kindly passed on to me for inclusion in my book about Rex Law and Redline.
Some of which I felt would be of interest to readers of this thread.....

Re: Denning buses and coaches:a history in photos.Part 1.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:18 pm
by Denv12
Looselion wrote:Just a quick note in relation to the plans for restoration of the ex Greyhound Denning AEC coach donated by Maxwells.
This will be a wonderful project for many reasons as mentioned, but I just wanted to ensure there's no likelihood of the reader linking the two photos above as being the same vehicle.
Just to be sure there's no confusion, the B&W Greyhound photo is a Denning Commer introduced into the fleet as No 47 in 1961. The conversion of the standard Avenger chassis to rear engine/forward control was facilitated by Doug Herron of Balmoral Engineering in Brisbane, who in conjunction with Rex Law had become an early pioneer of such modifications.
Greyhound No 47 was used in Russ Penfold's second unsuccessful foray into interstate express passenger operations in 1962, with services between Brisbane and Sydney, as was the case with his first similarly unsuccessful attempt in 1957 using a Hedges bodied standard Commer Avenger, fleet No 36.
Greyhound No 47 incorporated a number of American styling features taken on board by Russ Penfold Snr and Jnr after they had undertaken a prior study trip to the USA.
The ex Maxwells Denning/AEC also incorporated some of the same features.
Note: I thank pauwri, whose father worked for Greyhound for many years, for much historic information regarding their early years that he has kindly passed on to me for inclusion in my book about Rex Law and Redline.
Some of which I felt would be of interest to readers of this thread.....


I think you could post a fresh topic on that vehicle so you can keep track of its progress.All information to it can go on there.Anything you need for its restoration should also be added there too.It seems its got some interest happening here thats why it deserves a post of its own.You've got an amazing topic there.

Re: Denning buses and coaches:a history in photos.Part 1.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:31 pm
by Tas Bus Nut
I shall organise that Denv12

Looselion wrote:Just a quick note in relation to the plans for restoration of the ex Greyhound Denning AEC coach donated by Maxwells.
This will be a wonderful project for many reasons as mentioned, but I just wanted to ensure there's no likelihood of the reader linking the two photos above as being the same vehicle.

No problems Looselion. Well aware they are different coaches. Maxwell's was ex Greyhound #52

Re: Denning buses and coaches:a history in photos.Part 1.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:47 am
by Denv12
Tas Bus Nut wrote:I shall organise that Denv12

Looselion wrote:Just a quick note in relation to the plans for restoration of the ex Greyhound Denning AEC coach donated by Maxwells.
This will be a wonderful project for many reasons as mentioned, but I just wanted to ensure there's no likelihood of the reader linking the two photos above as being the same vehicle.

No problems Looselion. Well aware they are different coaches. Maxwell's was ex Greyhound #52



Thanks Tas Bus Nut.

I started up a new post specifically for it:

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=76779

Re: Denning buses and coaches:a history in photos.Part 1.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:18 am
by stevegj52
They do look similar, I should have looked at the photo of the Commer version more closely and noticed the bin configuration :oops:

Re: Denning buses and coaches:a history in photos.Part 1.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:10 pm
by Denv12
stevegj52 wrote:They do look similar, I should have looked at the photo of the Commer version more closely and noticed the bin configuration :oops:


It would be a good idea to make a list of differences between the 2 vehicles.I had trouble working it out.
Thank you to everyone who is taking an interest in the restoration.Its great to see such a unique coach history being donated and restored.

Re: Denning buses and coaches:a history in photos.Part 1.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:42 am
by Doc68
Bit off topic but why do people QUOTE & QUOTE & QUOTE & QUOTE entire replies even pictures sometimes :shock: we are following the subject we keep coming back to check if anything is NEW but have to read the same things over & over sometimes with no reply :roll: :evil:

Sorry feel much better now

Re: Denning buses and coaches:assorted photos.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:10 pm
by Denv12
stevegj52 wrote:
Denv12 wrote:A real old Denning photo.

The TBCS Tasmania are restoring a Denning AEC as in the second B/W photo which is also ex Greyhound.


Here's the new post catering for the restoration of the coach:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=76779

Re: Denning buses and coaches:a history in photos.Part 1.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:12 pm
by Denv12
stevegj52 wrote:
MAXWELLS AEC 4.jpg


A new post has been started on the restoration:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=76779

Re: Denning buses and coaches:assorted photos.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:05 pm
by rodd.hood
8 SPEED wrote:Does anybody know who bought the bus show landseer and does anyone have a photo of it in action?

Attached is a photo of the 1986/87 Denning Landseer R & D Landseer in action. Job no 1151.It was built with a 7sp ZF syncro box and the first 6V92 DEEC 1 engine fitted to a coach rated at 300hp fitted with 47 recliners and an o/s centre toilet.I was driving this coach in the picture on the leg from Docker River NT to Giles weather station in WA when this photo was taken and then we overnighted at the camping grounds at Ayers Rock.We had a number of engineers onboard as well as suppliers.The coach was built in 86 and then I sold it to Alan Richardson in Sydney in 1987.The coach was then purchased by McCaffertys when Austral Denning decided to stop building Landseers in 1992.

Re: Denning buses and coaches:assorted photos.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:09 pm
by rodd.hood
Maladjusted wrote:In the advert third picture down on previous Page 1 for the prototype coach, it lists the salesmen for Denning. I could be wrong but I believe Dick White is the young driver in the shot posted later on with the Greyhound following behind.

No the driver is the chief engineer at Denning Len Bishop.
This coach had the front cut off it and returned back to a Hi Screen Denair of its era prior to its sale.