Old Ventura Leyland Leopard now camper

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Desto Dave
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Worldmaster, Tigers.

Old Ventura Leyland Leopard now camper

Post by Desto Dave »

On my recent trip to Townsville, I was driving past one of the auction yards out on Ingham Rd and did a 'double take' as this was sitting in the yard looking out at me was an old 'friend'.
RIMG2056.JPG
I just had to go back and have a better look. Security permission granted and I had a closer look at the old girl. I knew it was an ex Ventura ex Crossley Leyland Leopard which I always have a huge soft spot for, having rode many a mile on, then drive a few miles in them too. These were a lovely bus in their time and were sadly missed when they departed Ventura for places north.

I had a peek inside to find a caravan conversion had been done, note no front door and instead an air con unit placed in the front step!
RIMG2058.JPG
RIMG2062.JPG
RIMG2063.JPG
The kitchen area. Looks good with modern appliances.
RIMG2059.JPG
The drivers area remains pretty much untouched apart from one major difference that had me scratching my head. These were 5 speed boxes, so somewhere along the line after Ventura, it's had the selector and or gearbox changed! Also the shag pile has been added too, even over the header and with the air con unit there, there was no hope of obtaining the desto, which upset me the most as it wasn't one of the home made desto rolls that Crossley loved and also the header glass was broken, leaving the roll exposed to the elements!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
RIMG2061.JPG
Luckily, sitting in where the cash tray used to sit was the Leyland chassis plate!

It has since been worked out from other BCSV members, it was old Ventura 15 BFI615, one of my old favourites that worked out of Burwood and Knoxfield depots for a number of years. So it was lovely to see an old friend so far from its original stomping ground and wondered where it has been since leaving its life as a passenger carrying vehicle and wonder where it will end up!!

Though I would have loved to own it, I sadly left her there not knowing how the mechanicals etc etc were.

Fleet lists show as:
Leyland Leopard PSU3F/2R PMCSA 4284 10.81 B41D
ex m/o 9233 ex Ventura Melbourne (15) BFI 615. Stored at Taren Point depot early January 2002 and then at Green's Helensburgh depot now unregd
Two-Way
Favourite Vehicle: Simoco SRM-9000

Re: Old Ventura Leyland Leopard now camper

Post by Two-Way »

I quite liked that Crossleys livery. I have memories of riding these buses when in Sydney for the Jamboree in 2001.
Would you have a look at that K-Whopper hallin' that Wriggle Wagon hes got it to the floor and looking for more!
Posts here are my opinions and thoughts only.

Return to “Photos - General/Miscellaneous/Various”