Rex Law's Redline Coaches

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Industry

Re: Rex Law's Redline Coaches

Post by Industry »

Just found some details on the issued express timetables

REDLINE

Date Route(s) Notes
August 1961 Mackay - Brisbane
Brisbane - Sydney

Sydney - Melbourne

Melbourne - Adelaide
Yellow cover with black text and photograph of rebuilt(?) Ansair(?) Commer coach. 20 cm.
1965? Adelaide - Melbourne (marked as operated by Road King)
Melbourne - Sydney

Sydney - Brisbane

Brisbane - Cairns
"Landliner" on cover. White, red and purple cover with photographs of Albion / Denning coach with driver and passengers. 23 cm.
21 February 1967 Adelaide - Cairns via Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane
Adelaide - Perth
Red, white and blue cover with photograph of Albion / Denning. 23 cm.
27 November 1967 Perth - Adelaide
Melbourne - Sydney

Adelaide - Melbourne

Sydney - Brisbane

Brisbane - Cairns

Melbourne - Brisbane

Adelaide - Alice Springs

Alice Springs - Darwin

Townsville - Alice Springs / Darwin

Mt Isa - Brisbane

Ayers Rock - Alice Springs
white booklet with red text. "Edition No.1" on cover. 23 cm
August 1968 System booklet. "Edition No. 5" on cover. Red and white cover with photograph of Denning coach and driver. 22 cm.
September 1968 System booklet "Edition No. 6" on cover. Red and white cover with photograph of Denning coach and driver. 22 cm.
June 1969 System booklet "Edition No. 8a" on cover. Red and white cover with photograph of Denning coach and driver. 22 cm.

ALBION1881

Post by ALBION1881 »

When did the last Redline service and coaches run and I am curious with Landliner were they still running in the 90s as a charter operator running out of Wynnum QLD as I remember seeing a GBW bodied tag axle International with Landliner name on it.

Looselion
Favourite Vehicle: 3 1/2 window Flxible Clipper

Post by Looselion »

All ATDB posts by Looselion are now being largely removed, with the information to be solely available within my forthcoming book about Rex Law and Redline, which will include a wider history of the early foundation years of the Australian interstate touring and express passenger industry.
I was very pleased to share some of the Redline story here in the ATDB forum, but now after many long hours at the keyboard, and in-depth researching of Rex Law's story and the general post-war history, I feel a need to now consolidate the entire story solely within the forthcoming pages of my book.
Many thanks for all your interest and posts here, which have over the period given me the confidence to go ahead and put the book together.
Of course I will notify one and all when the book is published, and please be sure I intend to do so at a very reasonable price.
Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:58 am, edited 5 times in total.

Mr Scania
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Post by Mr Scania »

Warrens Topline Tours is owned by Bob Warren who is a former Redline employee.
I do have numerous photos to post but I need some assistence.
As previously written, fleet numbers will be difficult to sort out as some of the fleet were re-numbered as well as other coaches taking the previous fleet number.

Looselion

Post by Looselion »

All ATDB posts by Looselion are now being largely removed, with the information to be solely available within my forthcoming book about Rex Law and Redline, which will include a wider history of the early foundation years of the Australian interstate touring and express passenger industry.
I was very pleased to share some of the Redline story here in the ATDB forum, but now after many long hours at the keyboard, and in-depth researching of Rex Law's story and the general post-war history, I feel a need to now consolidate the entire story solely within the forthcoming pages of my book.
Many thanks for all your interest and posts here, which have over the period given me the confidence to go ahead and put the book together.
Of course I will notify one and all when the book is published, and please be sure I intend to do so at a very reasonable price.
Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Scania

Post by Mr Scania »

Uploading them onto the computer for a start.

Industry

Post by Industry »

Fred Carah whom is known to many of us, and mentioned in earlier posts in this thread as working for Redline i believe has retired to the Gosford area on the NSW Central Coast.

This would be another interesting thread to follow on from his Redline days

Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Mr Scania wrote:Uploading them onto the computer for a start.
Do you have a scanner M.S.?

Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:59 am, edited 4 times in total.

system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

Numerous Denning bodied Albions followed, including this one, No 53 new in April 1965:

Then a rare Watt bodied Albion, new in December of 1965 as No. 59 and which subsequently had a little bit of "cosmetic" work done on its front (by Denning?):

Perhaps Looselion can tell us a bit more about the importation of the Albion chassis in CKD form as he mentioned previously and also about the Watt coach above.

Industry

Post by Industry »

I agree Industry!
I remember once during the usual early 60's holiday hold up at the Harwood ferry strolling along the line of vehicles til I came to a bull nosed Benz semi with "Carah" emblazoned on the doors, and Fred looking down at me....
He opened his door to chat and I couldn't help noticing the huge rubber blocks mounted on the pedals!
Anyone who knows Fred will understand his need to have those pedals brought closer to his feet!!
I hope he's currently keeping well.......[/quote]

Their was a coach driver on the Central Coast of NSW who's nick name was "Pee Wee" for the same reason, and as we often share coaches, it was a pain removing those blocks.

Mr Scania

Post by Mr Scania »

Ray Collins says No 49 had the Stewart & Sons body

Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Industry

Post by Industry »

Just spoke to Fred Carah, and just printed this thread off to send to him.

Mr Scania

Post by Mr Scania »

No 95 was the first genuine rear engine Viking

Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Scania

Post by Mr Scania »

Apparently No 59 was a pretty quick machine.

Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Just received an email from Jim Cleary (ex Pioneer Express driver from the 60's, who later moved to USA and currently lives in Colorado)
Excerpts from the email, which captures much of the spirit of the on-the-ground friendly rivalry of those days:

"Glen.

Redline Coaches. Now there is a name that i can recall.

I was at one time operating the Melbourne Sydney Express with change over at Gundagai.

I used to know a lot of the Coach Captains on the Redline service.

All the very best with your book. They were great days.

Many a trip we would see the familiar lights coming up the Hume highway, always the friendly flash on the indicators as we passed.

Those were the days, gone but never forgotten.

Regards.

Jim"
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:05 am, edited 5 times in total.

Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Photos - General/Miscellaneous/Various”