Rex Law's Redline Coaches

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Looselion
Favourite Vehicle: 3 1/2 window Flxible Clipper

Re: Rex Law's Redline Coaches

Post by Looselion »

All ATDB posts by Looselion are now being largely removed, with the information to be solely available within my forthcoming book about Rex Law and Redline, which will include a wider history of the early foundation years of the Australian interstate touring and express passenger industry.
I was very pleased to share some of the Redline story here in the ATDB forum, but now after many long hours at the keyboard, and in-depth researching of Rex Law's story and the general post-war history, I feel a need to now consolidate the entire story solely within the forthcoming pages of my book.
Many thanks for all your interest and posts here, which have over the period given me the confidence to go ahead and put the book together.
Of course I will notify one and all when the book is published, and please be sure I intend to do so at a very reasonable price.
Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:51 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Guy_Arab
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N Bus & Guy Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

No.35 rings my memory it was the coach I did my first Melbourne trip from Sydney I think via coast road through Cann River to Melbourne,Prevoius I only did Sydney to Brisbane
Guy Arab
Industry

Post by Industry »

Miss Australia Contest rings a bell way way way back Gold Coast Holiday with family at a Guest House in Coolangatta Beachcomber I think with Redline Coach staying there as well with a load of beach babes.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Guy_Arab wrote:No.35 rings my memory it was the coach I did my first Melbourne trip from Sydney I think via coast road through Cann River to Melbourne,Prevoius I only did Sydney to Brisbane
Guy Arab
Maybe you were on the 2 day service Melbourne to Sydney Guy_Arab? This certainly was via Cann River.
Guy_Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

Looselion wrote:
Guy_Arab wrote:No.35 rings my memory it was the coach I did my first Melbourne trip from Sydney I think via coast road through Cann River to Melbourne,Prevoius I only did Sydney to Brisbane
Guy Arab
Maybe you were on the 2 day service Melbourne to Sydney Guy_Arab? This certainly was via Cann River.
You could be right I could not remember if it was cause I did the that way later with Parlorcars two day trip. The road was terrible through the coast on NSW side of Border, Remembering final details is fading with time ,1960s was a long time ago. Plus working for Gold Coast Clippers thence Redline and final with Pappy on Parlorcars.
Guy Arab a year older this month
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

All ATDB posts by Looselion are now being largely removed, with the information to be solely available within my forthcoming book about Rex Law and Redline, which will include a wider history of the early foundation years of the Australian interstate touring and express passenger industry.
I was very pleased to share some of the Redline story here in the ATDB forum, but now after many long hours at the keyboard, and in-depth researching of Rex Law's story and the general post-war history, I feel a need to now consolidate the entire story solely within the forthcoming pages of my book.
Many thanks for all your interest and posts here, which have over the period given me the confidence to go ahead and put the book together.
Of course I will notify one and all when the book is published, and please be sure I intend to do so at a very reasonable price.
Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALBION1881

Post by ALBION1881 »

You should write a book looselion it be a excellent read.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Hey thanks Albion....who knows, I might end up doing that!
Guy_Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

Looselion wrote:And a happy birthday mate....you and me both! Mine's the 30th!
Gold Coast Clippers was Doug Barnes wasn't it?
Not a very long lived operation.....
Well into my 70s now still pushing charter work Max Holman I think you mean ran local Service on Gold Coast as well as Gold Coast Clippers, Caught up with him when he start VIP Tours, that went broke. Advice Race horses and fast women do not mix.
Still looking for my photo online.
Guy Arab
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Industry

Post by Industry »

This could turn into a good story for the Bus Panorama Xmas Edition from onewhoknows
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

I have no knowledge of Bus Panorama Industry....
I guess it's a print publication? Something like T & B T?
I'd appreciate any info you could give me.....
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Industry

Post by Industry »

It is a publication put out by the Bus and Ccoach Society of Victoria and Iwhoknows is the editor and will leave it to System Improver to follow up further as he is the committee of the society.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

And so, here is No. 40, which is, in my view, a very handsome Denning design. It was new in September 1963, on a Commer chassis with a RE Perkins 6-354 diesel engine, at least at the time the picture was taken in early 1967. Perhaps it originally had a Commer TS3 engine like Nos. 39 and 41.

I would be interested to what factors contributed to the choice of chassis and engine at the time, e.g. experimentation, availability, cost, etc. There seems to be quite a variation over the next few years.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mr Scania
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Post by Mr Scania »

Collins Coachways Pty Ltd in Grafton owned a number of ex Redline vehicles.
No 77 Seddon. Denning Monocoach.
No 50 which was later No 61 Albion Viking. Denning
No 53 Albion Viking. Denning
No 83 Albion Viking Superior body Panther colours.

Two other unit were owned but never operated.
No 52 Albion Viking. Denning. Sold to Hawkins, Brisbane
No 80 Ford R192 Petrol. Watt Body. Sold to Tom Rumming of Mackay.

After consulting Bob Warren the coach Scuba enquired about was No 12.
Also it should be known that Redline had the first Scania engine in an on road application.
Not a day goes past without reference of "when I was at Redline".
system improver

Here is No. 45 which was rebodied (No.10) 1964 on a Tiger Cub Leyland chassis (TC) with a Watt body. When photographed in 1969 by Geoff Mann, it had been fitted with a Cummins V6-140 diesel engine and, according a T&BT article of April 1966, was the test bed for this engine in Australia.

* edited 2/9/10 due to subsequent info.
Last edited by system improver on Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Scania
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Post by Mr Scania »

Ray Collins drove No 35
Bob Warren drove No 36
system improver

And so, the Albion story begins. A Tiger Cub with a Leyland 400 engine, moves to an Albion with the same power pack. I am interested in the comment about CKD Albion chassis. How and why did this occur? In any event, the Albion/Denning connect had begun. Here is a shot of number 50, but for some reason or other, is described as "originally number 47". It is a Stewart and Son bodied Albion, "with a Leyland diesel engine" from 1964:

Industry

Post by Industry »

As anyone have any photos of these gems in their second life after Redline to compliment this great thread.
I believe from memory as a kid seeing a Collins Coachway unit with Coliins in large print and Coachways smaller under the Collins name and just able to read landliner when in sun.
All I can remember it was a straight deck Denning.

Maybe Mr Scania maybe able post a few shots from his father's operation in Grafton.

Return to “Photos - General/Miscellaneous/Various”