Discontinued Metro Hobart Routes

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Discontinued Metro Hobart Routes

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

From SUNDAY 10th JAN 2016, Metro have implimented a NETWORK REVIEW which mean MAJOR changes to an extensive amount of Metro Hobart's routes.

http://www.metrotas.com.au/timetables/2 ... imetables/

Over the last couple of days, I've been out photographing buses on routes that will be discontinued from Sunday. Unfortunately, I missed a couple (like St Johns Park :( ) but got most of the Northern Suburb routes (close to home :D )

I have added descriptions under each photo, identifying the bus type, route and what's being discontinued.

#201 Scania L94UB / CR224L 14.5m - Seen operating an inward Rte.37 > City in TEERING RD CHIGWELL. NO services will travel via Teering Rd Chigwell, a route that's been in place for over 40yrs.

#323 Scania K230UB / CB60 Evo.II - Operating an inward Rte.35 Chigwell Doorstopper in lwr. BERRIEDALE RD BERRIEDALE. This lower section of Berriedale Rd will no longer have any services servicing it. Currently, it is serviced by Rte.35, 36 & 37. As Rte.35 is a Doorstopper service, ALL Doorstoppers will cease from Friday afternoon, so this Rte will no longer exist.

#153 Scania N113CRB / Ansair TAS VOVII - Seen on outward Rte.190 East New Town Doorstopper BISHOP ST NEW TOWN. ALL Doorstopper services will cease from Friday afternoon (8th), so numerous streets around New Town & Nth Hobart will have no service.

#208 Scania L94UB / NCBC (transfer from Burnie) - Here we see 208 travelling down SUMMERHILL RD WEST HOBART. A re-jigging of West Hobart / Mt Stuart services, means this street will no longer be serviced, along with Clift St at the top of the hill. THIS route, is one of the dog's breakfast route being introduced.

#173 Scania N113CRB / Ansair TAS VOVII - HURLSTONE CRES SPRINGFIELD. 173 is seen turning into Christie Ave from Hurlstone Cres, operating a Rte.22. Again, another Doorstopper (type) service that will be discontinued altogether.

#655 Scania N113CRB / Ansair TAS Orana - Although it looks more like a rural setting, 655 is operating a Chigwell Doorstopper service in ARUNTA CRES CHIGWELL, another service to be discontinued.

#519 M.A.N.10.180HOCL / Ansair TAS VOVII - A Doorstopper bus on Doorstopper service :mrgreen: Bit upset, over the last few days, rigids N113s had been operating the Doorstoppers. The remaining (4) MANs will be "semi"-retired after this weekend, as they were primarily used on Doorstopper services, ALL of which will cease. Here we see #519 in WIGNALL ST NTH HOBART on an inward Rte.190 East New Town Doorstopper.

#253 Scania N113CRB / Ansair TAS Orana - Florence Hgts services will NO LONGER travel via Wellwood St Lenah Valley, instead turning DOWN Giblin St to Main Rd then along to Creek Rd Moonah, before rejoining the original route. Here 253 is seen in WELLWOOD ST LENAH VALLEY operating an outward Rte.13 Florence Hgts via St Johns Park (the later section of the route I neglected to photograph :( ).

#507 M.A.N.10.180HOCL / Ansair TAS VOVII - 507 is seen operating the other New Town Doorstopper to the WEST of Main Rd. In GIRVAN AVE NEW TOWN, another little street the buses shouldn't have really EVER serviced in the back streets of New Town.

#320 Scania K230UB / CB60 Evo.II - In this photo, 320 is seen climbing VERNON AVE MONTROSE on an inward Rte.31 from Jackson St. This area of Montrose will not be serviced by the Rte.31 (or Rte.32) from Saturday 9th, however at the bottom of this hill, Rte.38 (or should I say Rte.511 / 512) will still service this general area.
Tas Bus Nut

Re: Discontinued Metro Hobart Routes

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

#305 Scania K230UB / CB60 Evo.II - Another area no longer being serviced (which date back to Merv Cresswell days) is Windermere (just near Claremont & Cadburys) Here we see #305 coming out of OSPREY RD WINDERMERE operating an outward Rte.39 to Cadbury via Chigwell. There is a short 500m walk to Cadbury Rd where all Claremont services will travel.

#320 again seen on a different section of the Rte.31. KENBRAE AVE GLENORCHY, another street omitted from the new route.

#507 again also, this time on a small section of the Springfield route that will be discontinued. Photographed in CORINDA GROVE SPRINGFIELD, the buses will turn off just before this location into Moore St then Springfield Ave past the OLD Fifth Ave terminus before rejoining the original route.

#219 Scania L94UB / NCBC - Photographed in CLIFT ST WEST HOBART which will be omitted from West Hobart / Mt Stuart services. Clift St is at the top of Summerhill Rd, which a photo of #208 features.

#519 again in another section of the Rte.190 East New Town Doorstopper, that being SUNNYSIDE RD NEW TOWN, just before Main Rd / Argyle St
intersection.
venturatiger

Post by venturatiger »

Well done Neil

A couple of questions from an Interstater

(1) in general are these changes good

(2) were you given training on the new network or are you expected to know where you are going

Venturatiger
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Great pics there, I love pics of "last bus" or "to be removed" buses. It's strange to see a 14.5 CR224L with a gold (LED?) desto, all the ones over here have green (Hanover? Mobitech?) ones. Also ironic to see bus 323 is a CB60 Evo II, there used to be a bus here (In Adelaide) 3223, commonly known as 323 as well.

Are door stopper services like say, Suburban Link services (able to deviate from their normal route down any street) or are they more a shopper service that goes down backstreets?

Once again great pics.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:Great pics there, I love pics of "last bus" or "to be removed" buses. It's strange to see a 14.5 CR224L with a gold (LED?) desto, all the ones over here have green (Hanover? Mobitech?) ones. Also ironic to see bus 323 is a CB60 Evo II, there used to be a bus here (In Adelaide) 3223, commonly known as 323 as well.

Are door stopper services like say, Suburban Link services (able to deviate from their normal route down any street) or are they more a shopper service that goes down backstreets?

Once again great pics.
Our CR224Ls were only recently fitted with Hanover LED destos. Prior to that, they were fitted with Southport destos, which were removed to be spares for other buses.
Doorstopper services are essentially a shopper service that goes down numerous SMALL back streets. NEVER profitable, or well patronised

venturatiger wrote:Well done Neil

A couple of questions from an Interstater

(1) in general are these changes good

(2) were you given training on the new network or are you expected to know where you are going

Venturatiger
Q1: Some changes STUPID and confusing. Advertising smarter faster simpler. Anything BUT :evil:

Q2: They are expecting you to look at maps and take with you or left/rights, HOWEVER, if you demand it, you ARE taken out and taught. I had work covered to enable me to learn the new runs just B4 I went on holidays. I KNEW it would happen :roll: I've FORGOTTEN 1/2 of them and I'm not due back for 2 more weeks :oops: Ooops :mrgreen:
tasstockau

Post by tasstockau »

great job Neil - thx

well worth taking the time to do it.

Chigwell area changes have been cumulatively significant over the years.

I used to commute from there every day nearly 40 years back and it was a great service with 7 buses between 7.42 AND 8.12 of a morning that headed down that section of route that now has no service (with a lottery of Leyland Nationals, Volvos, Bedfords and Hinos to look forward to). Daresay the demographic of the area has also changed in this time though which probably leads us to the changes of today.

Phil
yoda

Post by yoda »

Quiet night out for the final runs, everything on time though!
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

tasstockau wrote:great job Neil - thx

well worth taking the time to do it.

Chigwell area changes have been cumulatively significant over the years.

I used to commute from there every day nearly 40 years back and it was a great service with 7 buses between 7.42 AND 8.12 of a morning that headed down that section of route that now has no service (with a lottery of Leyland Nationals, Volvos, Bedfords and Hinos to look forward to). Daresay the demographic of the area has also changed in this time though which probably leads us to the changes of today.

Phil
WOW :!: :!: 7 buses within 30min. I bet they were ALL FULL too :mrgreen:
yoda wrote:Quiet night out for the final runs, everything on time though!
When you don't cart anyone, you should always manage to run ON-TIME :roll: Now take the A/M services, NOW THAT is where BUSY is :lol: :lol: :lol:
1 . . . 2 . . 3 . . 4 :mrgreen:
yoda

Post by yoda »

Tas Bus Nut wrote:
yoda wrote:Quiet night out for the final runs, everything on time though!
When you don't cart anyone, you should always manage to run ON-TIME :roll: Now take the A/M services, NOW THAT is where BUSY is :lol: :lol: :lol:
1 . . . 2 . . 3 . . 4 :mrgreen:
Yes..... I've witnessed how "busy" the AM crew was today.

Return to “Photos - Hobart/Tas”