Buses in Tasmania - the Ken Flood Collection

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Buses in Tasmania - the Ken Flood Collection

Post by system improver »

After the tour spectacular on the 19th April, I travelled to Launceston and called in on long time transport enthusiast Ken Flood. Ken is now in his mid eighties but still is in fine shape and has a marvellous memory of Tasmanian transport events over the last 70 years. He began his interests with trams (his father was a motorman) which spread to tramway buses and then private buses. He began taking photographs in the late 40s. The afternoon that I spent with him was most enjoyable and I simply could not hear enough of his stories. In addition, Ken allowed me to scan hundreds of his photos and has given me permission to share them with you. I am still working through the scans, cataloging, cropping and editing them, but I thought I'd give you a taste of what is to come. I need to point out that I do not have detailed gen on these vehicles so would welcome additional or clarifying comments from others.

City Body Works was a Hobart body builder which entered into a cooperative arrangement with Comeng in 1949. The designs of early MTT vehicles bodied by CBW bore a strong resemblance to Comeng products, but into the 60s and 70s, the CBW product became quite distinctive:

Here is one of the AEC Regal Mark IVs new in 1955:

This is a very attractive 1968 version of the SB3:

A later CBW design on a VAM chassis:

And a smaller body on a BMC chassis:

Ken has a large file on Redline, including a shot of the rather unique Ansair Bedford SB:

And, of course, many photos of MTT buses over the years. First, one of the last CAC bodies produced, this one in 1979 on Volvo B58 chassis:

And, one of the two MBA bodied Seddons, which were new from stock to the LMT in 1952 and is seen here after the MTT was formed as number 375:
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Re: Buses in Tasmania - the Ken Flood Collection

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Thanks for these Paul. Ken Flood's collection is the Tasmanian version of Masterton/Batman & similar on the mainland. Probably only surpassed by Ian Cooper's collection. VERY MUCH appreciated look back to the early 50s 60s & 70s. THANKS AGAIN!! Neil
Don't hold back, let's see some more. . . . .PLEASE!!
Last edited by Tas Bus Nut on Mon May 11, 2009 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
GM

Post by GM »

The Ken Flood Collection is very interesting.
I do not know how many photos are in the Ian Cooper Collection but the Ken Magor/BCA Collection CD has 6,200 photos which is only a small part the Collection.
Most of Kens Collection concentrated on NSW but has a mix of other States.
He also had Fire Brigade, Railway and Tramway photos in his Collection.
I have seen photos number in the 25,000 on buses. GM
stevegj52
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo Bus & Coaches

Post by stevegj52 »

Thanks for these photos and cant wait for the next installment.The B58 CAC Mk2 71 was based in Hobart so must have been transfered north for some reason as the Launceston B58's CAC Mk2's had fleet numbers in the 3xx series 337-346 and Hobart 69-78.The bedford CBW was the from the first batch with this type of body there was a second batch with the same style but with some differences such as a glass bulkhead behind the driver and the roof top air vents were the rotating type and on the inside the wall panels were a light coloured wood grain laminex also they had air vents on the outside either side of the desto and had a fleet number on these.These bedfords followed on from the Freighter bedfords in 1968, the one in the photo was produced earelier about approx 1967.249 at the TTM was built with another later type CBW body and was the last.
Volvo B8R,green efficiency built in
ALBION1881

Post by ALBION1881 »

379 Looks good in your first picture but I have two here that might interest you from the Leon Batman collection one is from allways a two door version and one from Jannali bus service and I posted another one the NSW forum from JJ Hills bus service Wollongong.The one Jannali and JJ Hills are both like 379 I don`t how many of these regals were built but I wish one was preserved.
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

ALBION1881 wrote:379 Looks good in your first picture but I have two here that might interest you from the Leon Batman collection one is from allways a two door version and one from Jannali bus service and I posted another one the NSW forum from JJ Hills bus service Wollongong.The one Jannali and JJ Hills are both like 379 I don`t how many of these regals were built but I wish one was preserved.
Thank you for those Albion. The first one is identical to the Hobart units, whilst the second like Launceston. I saw your post re: the JJ Hills version. Very nice, and as you say "I wish one was preserved". All Tassie versions went to NSW (so I've been informed)so perhaps?? some may still be floating in someone's graveyard up there (one can only hope)
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Didn't realise MTT had the Seddon buses, mind you, until someone posted the Foden from MTT, I didn't know they had those either. stevegj52, you would have also noticed Launceston MTT had the varied livery compared to Hobart livery with the yellow/cream curving down at the front. The second pic of the CBW Bedford SB3 looked brand new when first looked at, however I can only assume it was taken after it was sold by the MTT, UNLESS MTT accepted it with bent grill inserts :lol: Also the newer number plate gives it away too. System Improver: If you don't mind, I'll add a pic of #378 BRAND NEW being inspected by the management of MTT Launceston when I dig the pic out.
ekoja
Favourite Vehicle: Ford Mustang Laguna Sega

Post by ekoja »

That red and blue AEC Regal would have been a good looking bus in its day.
Note the brick brake under the front wheel.
Accipe Hoc
Industry

Post by Industry »

Love to see more of the Redline photos if you were abel to scan them
stevegj52

Post by stevegj52 »

Tas Bus Nut wrote:Didn't realise MTT had the Seddon buses, mind you, until someone posted the Foden from MTT, I didn't know they had those either. stevegj52, you would have also noticed Launceston MTT had the varied livery compared to Hobart livery with the yellow/cream curving down at the front. The second pic of the CBW Bedford SB3 looked brand new when first looked at, however I can only assume it was taken after it was sold by the MTT, UNLESS MTT accepted it with bent grill inserts :lol: Also the newer number plate gives it away too. System Improver: If you don't mind, I'll add a pic of #378 BRAND NEW being inspected by the management of MTT Launceston when I dig the pic out.
The buses in Launceston often had different things added to them most likely by the local depot guys,some had a fan for the driver where Hobart units didnt eg in some of the Hinos and Volvo CACMk2's, also at the time the desto rolls were black writing over white back ground and some had money trays as well just a couple things I remember from my time in Launie also the signs on the bus stops was different to what is used in Hobart.
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

stevegj52 wrote:
The buses in Launceston often had different things added to them most likely by the local depot guys,some had a fan for the driver where Hobart units didnt eg in some of the Hinos and Volvo CACMk2's, also at the time the desto rolls were black writing over white back ground and some had money trays as well just a couple things I remember from my time in Launie also the signs on the bus stops was different to what is used in Hobart.
Yeh! Always HATED the destination signs in Launceston. As for the bus stops, Metro are about to STANDARDISE STATEWIDE their bus stops. Just working on final design. WILL include silhouette of a bus & passenger (finally). Apparently trying to decide on newer style of bus in the silhouette. Stops will be yellow in colour. (That's the last design I have seen. Will probably change before implementation).
stevegj52

Post by stevegj52 »

I suspect that the MO 218 Maybe ex MTT Tas ? after comparing it with 379 in the 1st pic
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

stevegj52 wrote:I suspect that the MO 218 Maybe ex MTT Tas ? after comparing it with 379 in the 1st pic
Yep, one of 4 single door versions delivered to the MTT in 1955. There were also 12 of the two door types that went to Tassie in 1957, 4 to Launceston and eight to Hobart. Here is a Bruce Tilley pic from the John Masterton Collection:

The design owes much to the Comeng designed AEC Mark IVs and Leyland Worldmasters that were delivered to the DGT in Sydney between 1953 and 1961, although they all had rear doors. A much smaller tranche of 10 Comeng designed AEC Mk IVs, this time bodied by Athol Hedges, went to the BCC in 1960. It's a personal opinion, but the Tassie version looked the best.
Last edited by system improver on Fri May 15, 2009 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
stevegj52

Post by stevegj52 »

Good photo System Improver, I had the prvilege of traveling on the 2 door version home from school each day back in 68.Don't know how long after that they were with Drawn.I think there was also a single door Ansair verson's as well.
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

stevegj52 wrote:Good photo System Improver, I had the prvilege of traveling on the 2 door version home from school each day back in 68.Don't know how long after that they were with Drawn.I think there was also a single door Ansair verson's as well.
Hi Steve. The single door Ansair you are thinking of, were the AEC RELIANCE #103 - #112(off re-collection). They preceded the Ansair SB3s that replaced the trams to Glenorchy (my favourite #165 - #196)
stevegj52

Post by stevegj52 »

Thanks Neil, any photos of those floating around?Another Batch was either Comeng or CBW AEC's also single door they were mainly on eastern shore runs if my memory is correct,I think there was one in some photo's that you submitted some time ago.
chevinoz
Favourite Vehicle: '62 Chev Impala

Post by chevinoz »

Hi Guys, I just stumbled across this thread when I was looking for some info on a '79 Volvo B58 bus I just purchased from a guy in NSW, he said it started life as a Tassie school bus. I pick it up next week so I can't give you any of the finer detail yet but it sure looks like the one of the CAC bodies you've got pictured. I've uploaded a couple of pics, if it is a CAC built bus I'd be keen to get a bit of feedback on the quality of the coachwork, it seems to be in great nick and worth every bit of the 8K I paid for it. I always like to have a story behind the vehicles I own. Cheers,
Bus_2.JPG
Bus_1.JPG
The Meaning Of Life? - Cruzin' In A Chevy
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

FANTASTIC!! The best looking Volvo MTT Hobart had. If you post the chassis # I'm sure there are a couple of fellow members who can tell you exactly what number bus it was initially in the MTT fleet. (The 10 Hobart CAC Mk.IIs were numbered #69 > #78 whilst the 10 in Launceston were numbered #337 > #346) I would LOVE to have one of these myself to restore. 8k sounds a little steep, but if it's in as good a condition as you say, not too bad really.
yoda

Post by yoda »

As I mentioned in the other thread, I looked it up on ebay - definately a 3 digit fleet number - looks to be 339?
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

yoda wrote:As I mentioned in the other thread, I looked it up on ebay - definately a 3 digit fleet number - looks to be 339?
YEH!! reckon you're pretty right. Went there myself after I read your reply on the other post.
So to you chevinoz, the bus was ORIGINALLY Launceston MTT, NOT Hobart.
yoda

Post by yoda »

Number isn't any clearer on the 42" either :lol:

Good to see one with both original doors still in it too
chevinoz

Post by chevinoz »

Thanx for the info fella's, I needed one with 2 doors..customers in...customers out.

I thought it was pretty good value given it has Eng Cert, RWC & 12mths rego, I procrastinated about what to buy for ages...there's a stack of those ex STA Merc 0305's and Adel MAN SL200's on the market at the mo, 5K to 8K, but few had rego and such.

There was a Hobart Merc on eBay that interested me (item 200359136065), rebuilt by the Company, but it only had a single door.

I haven't had much to do with buses since I drove the old Bedfords in the Army 30 years ago, what's your personal opinion of the B58? Is the Volvo running gear reliable? Is the CAC body a good one?

It's what you'd call a 'poverty pack' trim compared to some of the Big Island models of the day, bare necessities and few creature comforts for the drivers in Tassie it seems.

I'll post the finer details of the old girl when I bring it back next week. Cheers,
Windy

Post by Windy »

That Volvo is ex Deane's Queanbeyan No.43.
chevinoz

Post by chevinoz »

Thanks Windy, I printed off the Deane's Withdrawn Units List about an hour ago and only found two '79 B58's (77 & 339), they say ex MTT Hobart but the 339 is a Launceston unit I'm told. Any idea what the PSV in 'Sold Non-PSV' stands for? Cheers.
Carlisle 8
Favourite Vehicle: A.E.C. Regal III.

Post by Carlisle 8 »

chevinoz wrote: Any idea what the PSV in 'Sold Non-PSV' stands for? Cheers.
Public Service Vehicle.

Return to “Photos - Hobart/Tas”