What if...

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

What if...

Post by Bus Suggestions »

The MTT became Transperth in August 1986. The MTT liveried buses were all repainted in the next few years to have the original white-and-green Transperth livery, the simplest livery of the lot. What if Transperth had decided, instead to keep the MTT(c) "Arrowhead" livery? Here's a snapshot of what could have been:
Transperth Heritage.png
Transperth Heritage.png (93.34 KiB) Viewed 27669 times
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
Bus-1809
Favourite Vehicle: As long as it's not a B7...

Re: What if...

Post by Bus-1809 »

If anything, the Dennis Dart/Denning Landseer livery would suit the CR228L/Futurebus bodies.
If it's not a ZF, take it back!

Holder of W.A's largest transport sound recording collection. Over 1,300 recordings of vehicles and constantly expanding for the enjoyment of future generations.
Bus Suggestions

So recently, in the WA thread, Bus-1809 indirectly gave me an idea for the next photoshop - the old 900-series livery onto an OC. The result was achieved by making all the green on the bus grey to match the rest of the body, and then recoloring as needed. The white stripe was added on later, using reference imagery to get it as close as possible to original. The 900-series logo was also recreated using reference imagery, as well as the Transperth logo placement on the window. The current operator sticker was removed and replaced with the statement above the front door, as on the original 900-series NHs. The front was done by taking different panels and then recolor as needed. In the end, I couldn't quite decide on the colour pattern for the front, so I did two versions:
Version 1; primarily blue front with white surrounds.
Version 1; primarily blue front with white surrounds.
900-Series OC.jpg (89.31 KiB) Viewed 14355 times
Version 2; primarily white front with blue central panel.
Version 2; primarily white front with blue central panel.
900-Series OC v2.jpg (88.79 KiB) Viewed 14355 times
What do you guys think? Feel free to send your own photoshops below!
Creds to Squiddy for his shot of 2015, aptly on a 930.
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

First one looks better to me! I do wish they continued with that livery. Particularly with those later B8 artics... ie. 3096-98, and 3100-3102. They practically live on 950s and likely will for the foreseeable future, I don't really see why they couldn't implement a similar livery on these, other than for maintenance reasons (obviously).

And as a side note Mr Bus Suggestions, you're welcome to use my pics (someone might as well, I am hopeless at designing stuff like this)... feel free to pm me next time, more than happy to send you a full-res version if it makes your editing easier!
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

That turned out well, and I agree the first one does look better. Had things played out different, then yes, I think we'd have seen this livery on OCs.

Much of the 900-series network we have today (plus some others, like a service from Munster to City via Hamilton Rd then per the present 114 into town) might have been rolled out a lot sooner, although their intent back then seems to have been high-frequency routes, with limited stops to supplement or replace existing services. I recall finding some City of Cockburn documents that detail the kerfuffle the proposed Fremantle-Rockingham transitway was causing among local residents - the Hampton Road priority lanes between Douro Rd and South St., Fremantle and the former bus lane along Gilmore Ave., Kwinana were about as far as they got.
Bus Suggestions

Squiddy wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:43 pm...3096-98, and 3100-3102. They practically live on 950s and likely will for the foreseeable future, I don't really see why they couldn't implement a similar livery on these, other than for maintenance reasons (obviously).
Hmm, an artic wearing a 900-series livery, haven't seen that one before... might as well make it! Here is 3102, on a 909 rail replacement, also by Squiddy!
TP3102 photo courtesy of Squiddy on his website.
TP3102 photo courtesy of Squiddy on his website.
Unlike the OC, I didn'y make two versions of front, nor did I add white on the front. It just looked... off, with the Optimus front. I had to 'envision' what the separation of colour would be like on an artic, as no reference imagery exists, unlike for the OC photoshop on which I could use any NH picture as reference imagery. I also placed the 900-series logo differently, as placing the logo similarly to the OC (with part of the logo on the white stripe and part on the blue midway down the body) wouldn't work due to the space between the wheels.
Squiddy wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:43 pmAnd as a side note Mr Bus Suggestions, you're welcome to use my pics (someone might as well, I am hopeless at designing stuff like this)... feel free to pm me next time, more than happy to send you a full-res version if it makes your editing easier!
Thanks! Although, seeing as I'd need to resize my photos to fit the board here (as I don't like to clutter my Flickr all too much), I shouldn't need to - though I will PM if I end up needing it. :D
Merc1107 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:43 pm That turned out well, and I agree the first one does look better. Had things played out different, then yes, I think we'd have seen this livery on OCs.

Much of the 900-series network we have today (plus some others, like a service from Munster to City via Hamilton Rd then per the present 114 into town) might have been rolled out a lot sooner, although their intent back then seems to have been high-frequency routes, with limited stops to supplement or replace existing services. I recall finding some City of Cockburn documents that detail the kerfuffle the proposed Fremantle-Rockingham transitway was causing among local residents - the Hampton Road priority lanes between Douro Rd and South St., Fremantle and the former bus lane along Gilmore Ave., Kwinana were about as far as they got.
Well, if only things turned out differently and we got a high frequency, limited stops network earlier than 2015... It would've been interesting to have, say, 3009 wearing the 900-series livery! I wonder what they were proposing then for the network. I was reading in an old thread down in the photo archives that there was a plan for an old 'route 970' in the Morley area, hence why 1735/1736 were delivered in 900-series livery - incidentally, as 1736 had a full side-on view shot courtesy of actually on perthbus when it was in 900 livery, that was the shot I used to recreate the 900 series logo and position the colours accordingly. What would that 970 have been? Would it have been the 970 we got today?

Wait, bus lanes got removed? That's a new low, even for... Perth!
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Bus Suggestions wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:19 am I wonder what they were proposing then for the network.
Courtesy of an old ATDB post (can't remember which, or the poster, only that I may have had to go to the Internet Archive to grab the image), here is the 'System 21' network map:
System21.png
... You can probably guess which State Government were behind this plan based on the route from 'Thomsons Lake' to the City by train.
Bus Suggestions wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:19 am Wait, bus lanes got removed? That's a new low, even for... Perth!
Looking at Landgate Satellite imagery, it looks like the lanes were converted to traffic lanes around 2013. Someone with greater experience would ultimately know; but I wonder if the lanes didn't provide enough time saving to warrant their existence? They could be easily reinstated with some yellow paint, in the future anyway - which is probable given the 549 is still considered an important link between Fremantle and Rockingham.
Enviro 500
Favourite Vehicle: Scania N113CRB

Post by Enviro 500 »

I see that the 910 and 930 eventually came to fruition based on that map. The 935 and 955 weren't predicted yet, and their proposed 970 most likely became what we know as 950 (northern leg).

Return to “Photos - Perth/WA”