Quest Tours Dennings.

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Denv12

Quest Tours Dennings.

Post by Denv12 »

Back in mid 1985 I started working for Quest Tours at Provident Ave,Glynde. They had a variety of buses and coaches.Some were in their red livery while a few coaches got repainted in the new red,white and blue livery that was introduced after Max Winkless bought the company. There was AEC's,Albions,Volvo's,Bedford's,the double decker,etc. Out of the coaches were the 5 Domino Tourmasters numbered 21,22 and 23.They were 38 ft 3 axle coaches.Still in their red livery. Whilst 24 and 25 were 40 ft coaches repainted in the red white and blue livery.

There were a few Dennings in the fleet in 1985. Number 18 shown below.It was repainted in 1985.It was used on charter,tours and even on express services too.I drove it twice on express. There were older Dennings. One I remember might have been a Denning bodied Albion.I'm sure it had maybe a road ranger gearbox or a similar one.It wasnt the ZF splitter gearbox.It was either 38 ft or 40 ft 3 axle coach.I used it on a swimming shuttle at North haven for most of the week. I think ABM had one similar to it.I dont know where it ended up after all the bus fleet got sold off in December 1985 onwards. Another driver who worked there had told me about 2 ex Stateliner Dennings.They were Mono's.One has a freight compartment,the other didnt.Both were in their red livery.I dont when they were sold.They werent there in mid 85 when I started there.

The only other Dennings I can recall were the various Parlorcars coaches that were sent over when Perth depot got their new Bova's.Their Volgren Twin decks ended up in the Adelaide based fleet.The 2 Mercedes 0303/3's High decks did end up in Adelaide at some point too. Can anyone recall any Denning's in the fleet around 1985? Where did they up? I remember Roller Coaster Tours bought several Quest buses.They didnt buy any of the coaches though.

Thanks.
Attachments
5.99 (522 x 362).jpg
5.99 (522 x 362).jpg (40.33 KiB) Viewed 10452 times
marc506

Re: Quest Tours Dennings.

Post by marc506 »

Denv12 wrote:Back in mid 1985 I started working for Quest Tours at Provident Ave,Glynde. They had a variety of buses and coaches.Some were in their red livery while a few coaches got repainted in the new red,white and blue livery that was introduced after Max Winkless bought the company. There was AEC's,Albions,Volvo's,Bedford's,the double decker,etc. Out of the coaches were the 5 Domino Tourmasters numbered 21,22 and 23.They were 38 ft 3 axle coaches.Still in their red livery. Whilst 24 and 25 were 40 ft coaches repainted in the red white and blue livery.
Quest did a school run for my primary school in the early 1980s (just before your time).

Usually we had one of the Regal IVs but occasionally we'd get one of the Dominos would turn up or we'd get the double decker and could tell you on a Winter's morning the Worldmaster was damn cold :)

The Dennings really didn't stand out as much but I I do remember the dual range gear box. Work up first through 5th (?) and then his of the air as the driver changed ranges
Denv12

Re: Quest Tours Dennings.

Post by Denv12 »

Quest did a school run for my primary school in the early 1980s (just before your time).
The Dennings really didn't stand out as much but I I do remember the dual range gear box. Work up first through 5th (?) and then his of the air as the driver changed ranges
Thanks marc506.
I used to do the various school runs in their various buses and coaches.The worldmasters were gone before I started there.I drove the AEC's,the double decker and the Dominos on the school runs.I did them while at Quest and when Roller Coaster Tours bought several buses and the school runs too.I did a brief stint with them in Feb86.You described the Denning accurately.Thats the one.Thanks.

Return to “Photos - Adelaide/SA”