Adelaide Bus History C MCMANUS SUPPLIED IMAGES Part 65

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
leyland4ever

Adelaide Bus History C MCMANUS SUPPLIED IMAGES Part 65

Post by leyland4ever »

224  Mack  MTT 70  flood plow  Henley Beach Road  1929
224 Mack MTT 70 flood plow Henley Beach Road 1929
222A  Perway bus 44  ex 1920s private bus  c1940s
222A Perway bus 44 ex 1920s private bus c1940s
224 is not a brilliant photo, but it shows the scoop used to keep flood water away from the engine.
We saw another photo of a Mack with a water scoop, taken from the near side quite early in the series.

A brief re-cap - before the Western Suburbs Drainage Scheme, the western suburbs were prone to flooding - hence there was not, by and large, a lot of development in those areas at that time.

Henley Beach Road trams were affected, however - when flooding was severe, trams stopped somewhere around Lockleys, and passengers were transferred to Mack buses such as these, to complete the journey. (I presume Henley Beach Road had the zig-zag it still has at the western end, as I don't think buses would have had much luck following the tram lines across the viaduct, which formed a diagonal at that location!)

222A reminds us of a common MTT practice - converting retired buses into "Permanent Way" vehicles for crews to use as meal rooms etc, although I hadn't realised they used any ex private buses for this purpose.

Other buses used like this, included Garford double decker 201, pre-war Daimler double decker 106, and, I think a Dennis single decker.

One noteworthy example, although it was for traffic crews rather than per-way crews, was AEC double deck trolley bus 417 (now at AETM, St Kilda), which used to travel under its own power from Hackney to Kent Town Circus each day, where it parked during the day (at the eastern end of Rundle Road), and was used for meal breaks by traffic crews; it was fitted out with an urn, and tables. After July 1963, when the trolleybus system closed down, and the overhead pulled down, it was towed to and fro by a small tractor.

It was always a welcome sight, as all other double deckers had departed the scene by this time.

The tradition even continued into the STA era, when in the early 1980s two or three ex private Bedfords (from the 1974 takeover) were converted for use by suburban railway gangs (the STA had taken over the suburban railways in the late 1970s)
paulgersche

Re: Adelaide Bus History C MCMANUS SUPPLIED IMAGES Part 65

Post by paulgersche »

Hi, Trevor.

I used to have a pic of one of the Ford Hercules (151-165) that was used as a service vehicle, as well. It used to have a number S10x on the side (but I can't now remember which one). Unfortunately, I lost it to a computer virus...

Paul.
leyland4ever

Post by leyland4ever »

Hello Paul,

Yes, I have a vague recollection of a Ford Hercules used like this too, now that you mention it.

I think most of them, if not all, were renumbered into the service stock listing, ie with an S in front.

I used to know what the AEC trolleybus was, and also the Daimler diesel - somewhere I've got some Doug Colquhoun photos of both of them, and may be some others - I'll have to do a search!

Cheers,

Trevor
paulgersche

Post by paulgersche »

Trevor,

The AEC DD Trolley bus was 417 / S106

Paul.

Return to “Photos - Adelaide/SA”