Adelaide Bus History C MCMANUS SUPPLIED IMAGES Part 50

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
leyland4ever

Adelaide Bus History C MCMANUS SUPPLIED IMAGES Part 50

Post by leyland4ever »

202B  1920s Bus  TCS Reynolds  Glenelg  15-6-1926
202B 1920s Bus TCS Reynolds Glenelg 15-6-1926
202A  Private Bus  King William t  Hindley St c1923
202A Private Bus King William t Hindley St c1923
burrumbus

Re: Adelaide Bus History C MCMANUS SUPPLIED IMAGES Part 50

Post by burrumbus »

Really enjoying your selection Trevor.
Have you got some information on Reynolds??
I had not heard of them .
Cheers.
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

Is it just me or is the first photo; 1920s Bus TCS Reynolds Glenelg 15-6-1926; of a left hand drive vehicle? That would certainly make for interesting loading practices; with what appears to be the entry doorway on the traffic side of the road.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

[quote="The Phonj"]Is it just me or is the first photo; 1920s Bus TCS Reynolds Glenelg 15-6-1926; of a left hand drive vehicle?

It looks like there is a door way on the left too.An open driver cab bus.Would have cold.
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

The driving position was often in the centre in these early buses and cars.
leyland4ever

Post by leyland4ever »

[quote Have you got some information on Reynolds??][/quote]

The only source of information on Adelaide private buses of the 1920s that I am aware of is "Adelaide Road Passenger Transport 1836-1958" by J C Radcliffe and C J M Steele, published by the Libraries Board of South Australia in 1974.

It has two references to "Reynolds" - one on page 78 "Messrs Sheardon and Reynolds started a service to Glenelg via the Bay Road in July 1923, charging a fare of 6d compared with 10d on the trains."

And on page 80, referring to a prediction by the MTT that their new Mack buses would give ten years life - "This prophesy was quickly ridiculed by the President of the SA Busman's Association, Mr T C S Reynolds, who said that the average bus could only last 3.5 to 5 years." (Some of the Macks lasted 27 years!)

As these private operators were, I think, unregulated, there probably is not much written down about them, certainly officially. Most of the references in this chapter come from newspaper reports.

However, the quote on page 80 is referenced as coming from "the first progress report of the Royal Commission on Traffic Control (Motorbus Traffic)" and is parliamentary paper 56 of 1926.

I must make a trip into the State Library and have a read of that paper, and any subsequent papers of the Commission. I have not taken much interest in the 1920s private buses, but they certainly were a lively lot, by all accounts!.

Cheers

Trevor
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Thanks for the feedback Trevor.Reynolds must have been in a good position to be president of the SA Busmans Association.I reckon you would be right on your last sentence!!!

Return to “Photos - Adelaide/SA”