South Australian Gems

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

South Australian Gems

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

With all the recent historical pictures going around here at the moment (which are excellent, I might add), I thought I'd add a few of my own recent pictures. They aren't all Adelaide Metro buses in Adelaide; they aren't even all from Adelaide, and there are also a few preserved goodies in there.

With any luck there should be something for everything. Enjoy :)
To kick it off, Scania L94UB/Volgren CR224L #3217 is seen starting the 12:40 865C to Crafers one sunny afternoon back in May.
To kick it off, Scania L94UB/Volgren CR224L #3217 is seen starting the 12:40 865C to Crafers one sunny afternoon back in May.
217.jpg (221.72 KiB) Viewed 6056 times
Next is Scania K320UA/Custom Coaches CB60 Evo II #1132, seen exiting Paradise Interchange bound for Modbury Interchange on a  Sunday C1T.
Next is Scania K320UA/Custom Coaches CB60 Evo II #1132, seen exiting Paradise Interchange bound for Modbury Interchange on a Sunday C1T.
1132.JPG (279.69 KiB) Viewed 6056 times
No photo selection from me would be complete without a picture of Scania L94UB/Volgren CR224L Prototype #3269, so here is the obligatory shot. This time she is turning in the Crafers Park'n'Ride before starting a Sunday 823. Quite rare to see her on one of these runs as well.
No photo selection from me would be complete without a picture of Scania L94UB/Volgren CR224L Prototype #3269, so here is the obligatory shot. This time she is turning in the Crafers Park'n'Ride before starting a Sunday 823. Quite rare to see her on one of these runs as well.
269.jpg (174.38 KiB) Viewed 6056 times
Now it's time for some preserved action; towards the end of June the NRM at Port Adelaide held an '80s Public Transport Weekend, amongst the trains and cars, some of the wonderfully preserved '80s buses were there.<br /><br />In this shot we see Volvo B58/PMCSA &quot;Commuter&quot; #1466, fully restored into &quot;Brown Bomber&quot; livery. I have been lucky enough to ride this bus before, and she runs like a dream. On this day she was posing as a route 825, which ran from Adelaide to Aldgate via Glen Osmond Rd, Mt Barker Rd, Piccadilly Rd and Pomona Rd.<br /><br />On the right we have MAN SL200/PMCSA &quot;Commuter&quot; #1897, which has been wonderfully restored into its STA condition. Displayed on her desto is simply &quot;CITY&quot;; MAN SL200s could only fit a limited amount of codes in their memory, so lots of generic codes similar to this were made up for them. Supp boards played a big part of passenger information in times gone by; on display today is a Grand Prix supp board.
Now it's time for some preserved action; towards the end of June the NRM at Port Adelaide held an '80s Public Transport Weekend, amongst the trains and cars, some of the wonderfully preserved '80s buses were there.

In this shot we see Volvo B58/PMCSA "Commuter" #1466, fully restored into "Brown Bomber" livery. I have been lucky enough to ride this bus before, and she runs like a dream. On this day she was posing as a route 825, which ran from Adelaide to Aldgate via Glen Osmond Rd, Mt Barker Rd, Piccadilly Rd and Pomona Rd.

On the right we have MAN SL200/PMCSA "Commuter" #1897, which has been wonderfully restored into its STA condition. Displayed on her desto is simply "CITY"; MAN SL200s could only fit a limited amount of codes in their memory, so lots of generic codes similar to this were made up for them. Supp boards played a big part of passenger information in times gone by; on display today is a Grand Prix supp board.
rsz_1466_1897.jpg (90.36 KiB) Viewed 6056 times
Still at the NRM; this time we have Redhen railcar #321 on the left. It was running shuttles from the &quot;Jackets&quot; Station to near where the branch line meets the mainline. There are now plans to reinstate this track for commuter trains, hopefully the Redhens will continue to run, even if only for a small distance.<br /><br />In the middle is another MAN SL200/PMCSA &quot;Commuter&quot;; this time it is over width #1812 posing as a 336 to Osborne. <br /><br />On the right is ex-EDSA Hino BX341E/PMCSA #1286. Although looking like the oldest bus there, she was in fact the newest, with a build date of 1987. 1286 ran from Sheidow Park High School.
Still at the NRM; this time we have Redhen railcar #321 on the left. It was running shuttles from the "Jackets" Station to near where the branch line meets the mainline. There are now plans to reinstate this track for commuter trains, hopefully the Redhens will continue to run, even if only for a small distance.

In the middle is another MAN SL200/PMCSA "Commuter"; this time it is over width #1812 posing as a 336 to Osborne.

On the right is ex-EDSA Hino BX341E/PMCSA #1286. Although looking like the oldest bus there, she was in fact the newest, with a build date of 1987. 1286 ran from Sheidow Park High School.
321 1812 1286.jpg (98.75 KiB) Viewed 6056 times
Moving on from preserved buses to one of our newest - Volvo B8RLE/Volgren Optimus #2451 is about to commence a 222 trip from Mawson Lakes to Adelaide.
Moving on from preserved buses to one of our newest - Volvo B8RLE/Volgren Optimus #2451 is about to commence a 222 trip from Mawson Lakes to Adelaide.
2451.JPG (260.62 KiB) Viewed 6056 times
And now for another ex-Adelaide bus; this time it is MAN 11.190/PMCSA '160' &quot;Midi&quot; #123. It is seen here in Port Pirie on the local loop service, currently it is on loan to replace 1711 (Another Midi). The town loop is quite a long loop, totalling 30mins, and has lots of tight turns and spoon drains. Perfectly suited to a midi really.
And now for another ex-Adelaide bus; this time it is MAN 11.190/PMCSA '160' "Midi" #123. It is seen here in Port Pirie on the local loop service, currently it is on loan to replace 1711 (Another Midi). The town loop is quite a long loop, totalling 30mins, and has lots of tight turns and spoon drains. Perfectly suited to a midi really.
123.JPG (237.37 KiB) Viewed 6056 times
Still in the Iron Triangle, here is Buses'R'Us #88, a MAN 10.155/ABM '160'. An ex-Burnside Council bus, it now spends its time doing one of the three Port Augusta loop services, or various school buses. It is seen here in the depot, after some friends and I were lucky enough to gain access to it.
Still in the Iron Triangle, here is Buses'R'Us #88, a MAN 10.155/ABM '160'. An ex-Burnside Council bus, it now spends its time doing one of the three Port Augusta loop services, or various school buses. It is seen here in the depot, after some friends and I were lucky enough to gain access to it.
88.JPG (285.99 KiB) Viewed 6056 times
To finish off, we are back within the Adelaide Metro metroticket zone - by just one stop. Scania L94UB/Volgren CR224L #3205 is seen on route 839, the Mt Barker West loop, pausing at the Mt Barker Hospital due to early running. The next stop down Wellington Road (71) is the last metro ticket stop for routes 852 and 852L; routes 838H and 839 turn right and head back towards the town centre.
To finish off, we are back within the Adelaide Metro metroticket zone - by just one stop. Scania L94UB/Volgren CR224L #3205 is seen on route 839, the Mt Barker West loop, pausing at the Mt Barker Hospital due to early running. The next stop down Wellington Road (71) is the last metro ticket stop for routes 852 and 852L; routes 838H and 839 turn right and head back towards the town centre.
205.JPG (272.52 KiB) Viewed 6056 times
If you haven't already, go and follow Adelaide Metro Photography on Facebook for more great photos twice a week.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Heardy_101
Favourite Vehicle: 2000 Class Railcar (Jumbo)

Re: South Australian Gems

Post by Heardy_101 »

1286 also spent a fair chunk of it's life running from Two Wells as well from memory. STA 1440 with be able to tell us of he stumbles across this thread.
Cheers, Mitchell Heard

South Australian Regional Rail Alliance
www.facebook.com/SARegionalRailAlliance
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Re: South Australian Gems

Post by TT »

Speaking of 1286, no such place as Sheidow Park High School. I believe it was based at Seaview High School on Seacombe Road and did the school service to and from the suburb of Sheidow Park. My records also show back in 1998 it was based at Gawler High School and did the run to Dublin.

Return to “Photos - Adelaide/SA”